Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: What is your PRE-workout nutrition?

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"

What is your PRE-workout nutrition?

I am a big fan of fasted lifting.

I would like to know what worked most for you before workout, whole meals, shakes... whatever form of nutrition worked best for u.

Goal is to get decent pump and have a energy.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I train early so I can't eat meal. I was doing just a pre workout, but then as I started lifting heavier and more volume, I started getting really hungry. I then added Vitargo, that helped a lot, but it is too expensive. I now do a protien shake, then about ten min later I do my pre work out drink. This has been working well, but today I had cold coffee mixed in with a scoop of protein and I was on fire, I also drink a pre workout during my training. I am going to stick with the coffee and protein for a while and see how it goes, it will be much more cost effective.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    I also train fasted as im heading to the gym at 0430......pint of water, vit d and fish oils then off i go...........bacon, sausage and egg when i get back though.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    When I was training early AM I would have a shake with 20g whey and 1c oats with a couple scoops of instant coffee about 45 min before gym time. Now I train after work so I have the same shake minus the coffee about an hour before.

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Depends on what I'm doing. If it's aerobic I eat more fat. If it's anaerobic more carbs. Always some protein either way.

Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny
    I also train fasted as im heading to the gym at 0430......pint of water, vit d and fish oils then off i go...........bacon, sausage and egg when i get back though.
    Why D and fish oils pre-w?

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle
    When I was training early AM I would have a shake with 20g whey and 1c oats with a couple scoops of instant coffee about 45 min before gym time. Now I train after work so I have the same shake minus the coffee about an hour before.
    I am gonna try oats and whey shake today maybe Ill add some honey.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspaco

I am gonna try oats and whey shake today maybe Ill add some honey.
    The carbs really give me that lasting energy I need towards the end of a session.

I might throw a bit of oats back in mine too, I fade fast at the end of my workout, I have been hitting it hard so I'm not sure if it is carb related or not.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I find oats and bananas go down nicely and give me lasting energy the whole workout. That being said i'll pretty much eat anything as long as it doesn't make me feel bloated and yuck, doesn't make too big of a difference. +caffeine in a drink or a coffee/preworkout.
    rahulsingh265 likes this.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    1/2 cup raw oats
    1/2 cup cartoned egg whites
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop protein powder (blend)

shake, chug. Then...

1 slice wholegrain bread w/ fat free cream cheese & jelly
    coffee
    16oz water
    If I'm feeling it, a small banana.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspaco View Post
    Why D and fish oils pre-w?
    No reason mate, im not taking them pre workout for the workout.........that is just when I take them.

Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny
    No reason mate, im not taking them pre workout for the workout.........that is just when I take them.
    Gotcha!

swolehead is offline Member
    some coffee (some becomes alot if training one of the big 3)with a banana and scoop protien with cup of oats in it a hour to 45 minutes before workout sometimes throw a egg white or 2 in that shake depending on how I ate that day.

Today I did 1scoop of whey 60-90min pre workout and 20min pre-workout scoop of Juggernaut HP.

Very good pump, nice amount of energy...

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Breakfast 8 egg whites one yolk 1 cup oatmeal and 16 oz glass of oj one hr pre workout. I always time my meal one hour pre workout

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active
    Breakfast 8 egg whites one yolk 1 cup oatmeal and 16 oz glass of oj one hr pre workout. I always time my meal one hour pre workout
    Used to workout right after breakfast and I was tired and dizzy.

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    I've been experimenting with this for a while now. I work out late afternoon and as of late what works for me is : 1 cup brown rice and 10oz skinless chicken , about 1 1/2 hours prior to workout. I then have a protein shake about 45 mins. prior to workout. No bloat , have plenty of energy and I don't get hungry and start gnawing on a plate 1/2 way through my workout!

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Used to workout right after breakfast and I was tired and dizzy.
    I don't work out right after breakfast all the time. I always wait one hour before I train regardless of which meal I am eating. That is just the way I always plan it

I am going to start adding casein into my pre workout shake in addition to the whey, just picked up another tub. I also use it in my oatmeal and as a before bed drink sometimes.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    I also usually lift fasted first thing, but if I have time u like cream of wheat, and some bcaas.

Today I went fasted again.

Large meal pre bed (deer and potatoes)

and 20min pre workout Juggernaut HP + 5g extra citruline malate!!!

This was a BOMB BABY!!!!!

Energy 9/10 (I slept like 8,5hours tho)
    Pump 9/10 incredible!

nes
    nes is offline New Member
    I never really eat before.. If I do I take 1/2 cup of oats with water of course and a banana or I take whey + banana + skim milk (8oz) always 45 min before !

I need something like or I just can't lift ... always feeling tired after eating , **** me .

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    Its different everytime. It can be a bowl of cereal, or it can be eggs and toast. Im not that crazy about it, but as long as i get some protein and carbs in of some sort i feel good.

Today I went fasted again. Large meal pre bed (deer and potatoes) and 20min pre workout Juggernaut HP + 5g extra citruline malate!!! This was a BOMB BABY!!!!! Energy 9/10 (I slept like 8,5hours tho) Pump 9/10 incredible!
    I love Citrulline. Is it Citrulline malate 1:1 you are using by chance?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Two cups of coffee and some old school Metallica! I no longer believe in pre -workout supps tbh............just put your nose to the grindstone and keep it there!

mechsubrat is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    I find oats and bananas go down nicely
    Oats with what?? Raw?? Early in the morning at around 5.

Is one Banana everyday will not put your weight up in the scale if you are looking to lower down.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    +caffeine in a drink or a coffee/preworkout.
    Is coffee without sugar everyday ok to keep you pushing everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by mechsubrat
    Oats with what?? Raw?? Early in the morning at around 5. Is one Banana everyday will not put your weight up in the scale if you are looking to lower down. Is coffee without sugar everyday ok to keep you pushing everyday.
    No, a banana a day will not be what makes you fat. If that's your question and caffiene everyday isn't advisable long term but using it intermittently is certainly fine.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I'll let you all know what I do these days. Starting day 1 here and just a cup of coffee, welp time to go do this thing.

In the past, I would do a typical pro/carb thing (Whey/Oats) 45-1hr before training. Definitely not a bad idea when you are putting a lot into a workout.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by fitnesstrainer
    I love Citrulline. Is it Citrulline malate 1:1 you are using by chance?
    I don't know what u mean by that.

I bough a bag of citruline malate, because my friend recommended it.

It was like 12EUR for 0,5kg so why not? The pump i very good from it.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I might get beat up a little bit for this comment but I am going to make it anyway......before I do I will say that I have used all of the pre workout supps out there and I must say some do a better job then others in terms of feeling "something". I tried them as stated and began to develop the mentally that I needed it to have a good workout. Well......I realized I didn't need it but def needed something. I realized despite killing myself in the gym, I was getting stagnent. I came upon the realization that I needed change! I began cycling my training into specific modes: Conditioning, PL, BB, maintenance. The training corresponds to my cycles and now I have new things to look forward and have found a new direction and new growth/recovery. I really don't think preworkout supps are what people need.....I think they just need motivation and direction....just my. 02
    rahulsingh265 likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    All I eat is food pre WO.

rahulsingh265 is offline Junior Member
    One banana +8 oz milk.......

I have switched almost fully to coffee, whey, casein, creatine, and oats as my pre workout shake. I still have a scoop of super pump or whatever I have left at the beginning of my session, but once it runs out I wont replace it unless I feel I need to.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    I might get beat up a little bit for this comment but I am going to make it anyway......before I do I will say that I have used all of the pre workout supps out there and I must say some do a better job then others in terms of feeling "something". I tried them as stated and began to develop the mentally that I needed it to have a good workout. Well......I realized I didn't need it but def needed something. I realized despite killing myself in the gym, I was getting stagnent. I came upon the realization that I needed change! I began cycling my training into specific modes: Conditioning, PL, BB, maintenance. The training corresponds to my cycles and now I have new things to look forward and have found a new direction and new growth/recovery. I really don't think preworkout supps are what people need.....I think they just need motivation and direction....just my. 02
    Not that I'm disagreeing with you on motivation and direction but after working anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, sitting in class being lectured for 2.5-5hrs, and having a very shitty sleep cycle I do find some positive benefit from PWO supps. I don't use them all the time as I don't want to rely on them or cause significant problems to the adrenal system but on certain days they def have a place for me.

I am feeling much more energy from the coffee then I was from the pre workout powders. Not sure if it is the difference in the amount of caffeine or just because it is new. I use between 12-16oz of coffee in the shake and it really gets me going at 5am.

Thread Information