Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active

Thread: ok...the food is doing its job

woody127 is offline Junior Member

ok...the food is doing its job

Well its been a week since I weighed myself and I was worried that I wasn't clean bulking correctly and to my surprise ime 2kg heavier so very happy today and feeling stronger even on my week training day which is shoulders....so bring on the quality food!!

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Was that your first week of going from a cut to a bulk?

No it was my 3rd week of clean bulking I did lose weight the first few weeks so was getting worried I was doing something wrong but people was saying that was just fat

If you're starting to gain weight just keep doing what you're doing

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    If you're starting to gain weight just keep doing what you're doing
    Best advice ever. If something is helping you achieve results consistently, it's probably good to keep doing it.

Agreed.....:-) even if I put a bit on each week without gaining fat its worth all the effort

Honestly i don't understand the obsession with staying lean. Personally i like to eat a little more than just enough, basically guaranteeing that i accumulate some fat but also i'm essentially gaining as much muscle as possible.

In the big picture losing fat is really really easy (for me) so i can imagine it's only so difficult for someone who has trouble with it, putting on muscle is significantly harder and a significantly slower process.

It's easy to shave off the fat accumulation of 6 months progress in a month. Recently i got rid of the accumulation of a years fat in 10 weeks.

I don't think it's ideal to sacrifice potential gains because of a bit of fat gain.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Honestly i don't understand the obsession with staying lean. Personally i like to eat a little more than just enough, basically guaranteeing that i accumulate some fat but also i'm essentially gaining as much muscle as possible.

In the big picture losing fat is really really easy (for me) so i can imagine it's only so difficult for someone who has trouble with it, putting on muscle is significantly harder and a significantly slower process.

It's easy to shave off the fat accumulation of 6 months progress in a month. Recently i got rid of the accumulation of a years fat in 10 weeks.

I don't think it's ideal to sacrifice potential gains because of a bit of fat gain.
    I guess it really just depends on what you're goals are. I hover around 15% bodyfat year round without trying to lose any, but I would prefer to be leaner. If I could stay at 10% year round and gain 5 pounds of LBM per year by going on a very CLEAN bulk, I would take that over the yo-yo effect of bulking up and adding 8-10 pounds of muscle per year and, at the same time, going up to 17-18% bf, then trying to cut back down afterwards.

You can only gain so much muscle at a time, and it varies per individual. The trick, at least for me, is finding that sweet spot, and gain muscle while keeping the fat off. I've also found that if I go with too much of a calorie surplus during a bulk, then try to cut down afterwards, it's very difficult for me to not lose any muscle.

In short, for me, slow and steady wins the race. However, I fully appreciate that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and if what you're doing works for you, then keep at it! Cheers, Khazima!

Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    I guess it really just depends on what you're goals are. I hover around 15% bodyfat year round without trying to lose any, but I would prefer to be leaner. If I could stay at 10% year round and gain 5 pounds of LBM per year by going on a very CLEAN bulk, I would take that over the yo-yo effect of bulking up and adding 8-10 pounds of muscle per year and, at the same time, going up to 17-18% bf, then trying to cut back down afterwards.

You can only gain so much muscle at a time, and it varies per individual. The trick, at least for me, is finding that sweet spot, and gain muscle while keeping the fat off. I've also found that if I go with too much of a calorie surplus during a bulk, then try to cut down afterwards, it's very difficult for me to not lose any muscle.

In short, for me, slow and steady wins the race. However, I fully appreciate that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and if what you're doing works for you, then keep at it! Cheers, Khazima!
    Good points.

I definitely agree with staying lean, bulking is used as an excuse to eat like crap and get fat for a lot of people lol, i'm lean bulking atm and i definitely like staying lean for a little longer than just getting fat, since as you mentioned especially for a natural there's a limit to how much muscle you can gain at one time, i like to stay just above it to ensure i'm gaining as much as possible. I'm also a powerlifter so aesthetics come second to me.
    musclestack likes this.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I'm also a 15-18% guy. I'd like to be about 10-13 but so far my dietary discipline fails me I have no desire to be 6 or 8%. Too much work. I like good food too much. I can't eat fish and chicken 24/7. It gets to the point where looking at chicken makes me want to gag and run to in-n-out!

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Khazima if that's you in your AV you're at about 4 or 5%. Lose anymore bodyfat and you'll be in the ER!

Bio-Active is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    Good points. I definitely agree with staying lean, bulking is used as an excuse to eat like crap and get fat for a lot of people lol, i'm lean bulking atm and i definitely like staying lean for a little longer than just getting fat, since as you mentioned especially for a natural there's a limit to how much muscle you can gain at one time, i like to stay just above it to ensure i'm gaining as much as possible. I'm also a powerlifter so aesthetics come second to me.
    eating crap to bulk is not acceptable in my nutrition plan. The only thing that changes in a bulk for me is that I consume more of the food choices I am already eating in my nutrition plan
    musclestack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Good points.

I definitely agree with staying lean, bulking is used as an excuse to eat like crap and get fat for a lot of people lol, i'm lean bulking atm and i definitely like staying lean for a little longer than just getting fat, since as you mentioned especially for a natural there's a limit to how much muscle you can gain at one time, i like to stay just above it to ensure i'm gaining as much as possible. I'm also a powerlifter so aesthetics come second to me.
    Powerlifter here as well! Well, I do it for fun, anyway. Bench press competition next Saturday! Actually, I would consider myself to be more of a 'powerbuilder' (half powerlifter, half bodybuilder...think Josh Bryant). I like the Dan Green look, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    Powerlifter here as well! Well, I do it for fun, anyway. Bench press competition next Saturday! Actually, I would consider myself to be more of a 'powerbuilder' (half powerlifter, half bodybuilder...think Josh Bryant). I like the Dan Green look, myself.
    Me too, it's great having someone like him at the top representing the sport because it shifts people away from the 'powerlifting = being a fat fvck' mentality. All of my programming is based on getting as big and strong as possible, mostly because i'm not even close to the size i want to be yet (sitting around 75kg, planning on competing in 100kg by 23-25).

Goodluck at the comp! I've got a meet in about 5 weeks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    Khazima if that's you in your AV you're at about 4 or 5%. Lose anymore bodyfat and you'll be in the ER!
    Haha i wish, maybe one day. It's just a cool pic i had saved on my comp.

Well...I seem to of stopped gaining weight but its stable. Ime going to start adding peanut butter just to get a few more cals in as my job is very manual which I know ime burning a lot of calories.I am definatly getting more leaner though as my veins are starting to be more visible especially on my bicep which I have never had .I have also put an extra 15g complex carbs to my two protein shakes a day. As I feel burnt out at around the half hour mark when hitting the weights.

Quote Originally Posted by woody127 View Post
    Well...I seem to of stopped gaining weight but its stable. Ime going to start adding peanut butter just to get a few more cals in as my job is very manual which I know ime burning a lot of calories.I am definatly getting more leaner though as my veins are starting to be more visible especially on my bicep which I have never had .I have also put an extra 15g complex carbs to my two protein shakes a day. As I feel burnt out at around the half hour mark when hitting the weights.
    I suggest you start a new thread (if you haven't already as I have not yet checked), and post up your typical daily diet, complete with macros and total calories, along with complete stats. The members here can take a look and help you out.

OK thank you stack.

Thread Information