Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By Docd187123

Thread: Low carb diet

tobias 34 is offline Junior Member

Low carb diet

Is a low carb diet good while cutting or could this be catabolic

dfarre is offline Banned
    Any lowered calorie diet will be catabolic, it needs to be in order to lose bodyfat.

Bicep321 is offline Associate Member
    You definitely want to go low while cutting. Depends what you're cutting for though. Either competition or just to be lean. If you're not competing then I would go low but no lower than 20-30g of carbs a day. Depending on your stats, I'd say 50g a day is good

tobias 34 is offline Junior Member
    I've been under 20 carbs a day I'm needing to drop some weight pretty quick

doingwork is offline Junior Member
    I'm on the same kinda diet. Low calorie...low carb....shooting for 1000 calorie or less....and really don't eat much carbs...some days none....lost 4lbs last week!!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by doingwork
    I'm on the same kinda diet. Low calorie...low carb....shooting for 1000 calorie or less....and really don't eat much carbs...some days none....lost 4lbs last week!!
    R u female?

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

R u female?
    No....why

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by doingwork
    No....why
    1000 cal or less r numbers gals put up. Rate to see a guy below 1600.

ouch....lol

I may be a bit over but I know I should probably eat more....1000 is the goal though....just trying to drop pounds fast...

Quote Originally Posted by doingwork View Post

I may be a bit over but I know I should probably eat more....1000 is the goal though....just trying to drop pounds fast...
    I ate 1500 today but after 2 hours of cardio I was down to just over 800.....feeling more hungry than usual....I assume that's from burning more calories than I'm use too.....
    Last edited by doingwork; 02-09-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Jaakoppi is offline Junior Member
    You deninitely should eat more than 1000 cals. It's not going to make good for your metabolism and body in the long run I think.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicep321 View Post
    You definitely want to go low while cutting. Depends what you're cutting for though. Either competition or just to be lean. If you're not competing then I would go low but no lower than 20-30g of carbs a day. Depending on your stats, I'd say 50g a day is good
    You most certainly do NOT have to go low carb for cutting nor do you even have to. Most performance competitions would have their performance suffer tremendously from doing low carbs. It's just as effective to lower fats and protein if possible or just create a larger calorie expenditure.
    Mr.BB likes this.

BulldogMatt is offline Junior Member
    Don't crash diet. Whether you lose fat or not is a matter of relative calorie deficit or surplus. Fix protein intake to 1-1.5g / lbs of bw and maintain a mild calorie deficit (15-25%). Keto diet did no good for me ever, so I would not crash my carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    You most certainly do NOT have to go low carb for cutting nor do you even have to. Most performance competitions would have their performance suffer tremendously from doing low carbs. It's just as effective to lower fats and protein if possible or just create a larger calorie expenditure.
    I'd disagree completely. I don't see a cutting diet functioning properly if you are eating a high amount of carbohydrates. More fat sticks around if the carbs are at high levels and obviously water. You could burn more calories but that also depends on your goals.

I say cut with limited carb intake (50-80g per day) and get most calories from protein (up the protein intake). Protein, unlike carbs, will not add fat even at extremely high amounts.

I'd disagree completely. I don't see a cutting diet functioning properly if you are eating a high amount of carbohydrates. More fat sticks around if the carbs are at high levels and obviously water. You could burn more calories but that also depends on your goals.

I say cut with limited carb intake (50-80g per day) and get most calories from protein (up the protein intake). Protein, unlike carbs, will not add fat even at extremely high amounts.
    A cutting diet is supposed to reduce body fat, what's the relevance of water weight? Water weight is actually lean body mass and even if you want to talk about bloating it only takes a few days or so to get rid of bloat.

And when you take in a higher amount of carbs, you'd need to reduce dietary fat to keep the calories the same which equals fat loss regardless. Carbs don't make you fat and are rarely ever stored as fat. Here is but one of many interesting studies in the topic.

Am J Clin Nutr. 1987 Jan;45(1):78-85. Links
    Carbohydrate metabolism and de novo lipogenesis in human obesity.

Acheson KJ, Schutz Y, Bessard T, Flatt JP, Jéquier E.
    Respiratory exchange was measured during 14 consecutive hours in six lean and six obese individuals after ingestion of 500 g of dextrin maltose to investigate and compare their capacity for net de novo lipogenesis. After ingestion of the carbohydrate load, metabolic rates rose similarly in both groups but fell earlier and more rapidly in the obese. RQs also rose rapidly and remained in the range of 0.95 to 1.00 for approximately 8 h in both groups. During this time, RQ exceeded 1.00 for only short periods of time with the result that 4 +/- 1 g and 5 +/- 3 g (NS) of fat were synthesized via de novo lipogenesis in excess of concomitant fat oxidation in the lean and obese subjects, respectively. Results demonstrate that net de novo lipid synthesis from an unusually large carbohydrate load is not greater in obese than in lean individuals.
    ^^^500g of carbs in one shot synthesized on average 5g of body fat. 45calories worth of fat. That's not something I'd worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    A cutting diet is supposed to reduce body fat, what's the relevance of water weight? Water weight is actually lean body mass and even if you want to talk about bloating it only takes a few days or so to get rid of bloat.

And when you take in a higher amount of carbs, you'd need to reduce dietary fat to keep the calories the same which equals fat loss regardless. Carbs don't make you fat and are rarely ever stored as fat. Here is but one of many interesting studies in the topic.

^^^500g of carbs in one shot synthesized on average 5g of body fat. 45calories worth of fat. That's not something I'd worry about.
    Ehh some people have trouble losing water weight...I guess some people have success cutting with high carbs. I wouldn't know. I get great results with tapering down on carbs and peaking.

Ehh some people have trouble losing water weight...I guess some people have success cutting with high carbs. I wouldn't know. I get great results with tapering down on carbs and peaking.
    I don't doubt you do but there's more than one way to skin a cat to get your Chinese food lol
    Bicep321 likes this.

Thread Information