Thread: IIFYM logic??

Blog Entries

IIFYM logic??

I have a real issue understanding why people justify watching the foods they eat while they're "cutting" and not watching their food nearly as much when they're "bulking." when in fact, i believe it should be the exact opposite?

Cutting: If you're in a caloric deficit, and you meet your protein intake for the day, why would it matter what else you ate during that day because you won't be storing fat anyway because you're under your TDEE?

Bulking: You SHOULD watch watch you're eating, because you WILL be storing fat during this process and you want to limit it. Or better yet, even if you're bulking on a certain amount of cals, the quality foods will yield better results regardless of whether it's the same macros or not? I believe this myself regardless of the science behind it, because alot of people are "iifym bulking" without even knowing it. What's the difference between the guy who eats gummy worms and donuts and doesn't know he's meeting his protein for the day, and the guy that's doing virtually the same thing but tracking it? The guys don't look that great to begin with. So i think alot of IIFYM is flawed...

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtheman100 View Post
    I have a real issue understanding why people justify watching the foods they eat while they're "cutting" and not watching their food nearly as much when they're "bulking." when in fact, i believe it should be the exact opposite?

Cutting: If you're in a caloric deficit, and you meet your protein intake for the day, why would it matter what else you ate during that day because you won't be storing fat anyway because you're under your TDEE?

Bulking: You SHOULD watch watch you're eating, because you WILL be storing fat during this process and you want to limit it. Or better yet, even if you're bulking on a certain amount of cals, the quality foods will yield better results regardless of whether it's the same macros or not? I believe this myself regardless of the science behind it, because alot of people are "iifym bulking" without even knowing it. What's the difference between the guy who eats gummy worms and donuts and doesn't know he's meeting his protein for the day, and the guy that's doing virtually the same thing but tracking it? The guys don't look that great to begin with. So i think alot of IIFYM is flawed...
    Bc it only matters if the food choices you make affect your body composition in a direct manner which fortunately they do not. The amount of fat you put in during a bulk is largely dependent on genetics and hormones, the size of the surplus, etc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    Bc it only matters if the food choices you make affect your body composition in a direct manner which fortunately they do not. The amount of fat you put in during a bulk is largely dependent on genetics and hormones, the size of the surplus, etc

So my body composition end up the same if my 450g of carbs were from things like cereal instead of oats bananas etc if i was eating 3,700cal with both diets?

So my body composition end up the same if my 450g of carbs were from things like cereal instead of oats bananas etc if i was eating 3,700cal with both diets?
    If your training remained the same including the effort and intensity out forth in the gym and your minimum needs were met in both diets, would you be able to explain why they'd be any different in terms of results?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    If your training remained the same including the effort and intensity out forth in the gym and your minimum needs were met in both diets, would you be able to explain why they'd be any different in terms of results?
    The more sugary foods filled with carbs are faster digesting, so they're stored as fat faster than if you were to eat the same amount of carbs worth of oats which would be slower burning and giving you more time to burn more calories before they're stored as fat?? So you end up eating the same calories for the day, but once you're over your tdee you'll store less fat by eating cleaner foods?? I'm actually not 100% sure about this but these were my thoughts.

Jesusbrah is offline Associate Member
    You got it all wrong. IIFYM=If it fits your macros. The basic philosophy behind it it that proteins are proteins, carbs are carbs and fats are fats. This means you can eat your macros worth with donuts, chocolate, burgers etc (if you wish). At the end of the day your daily macro intake should end up where youve decided it should be, so youre still watching what your eating. Doesnt mean you just shove in all the crap that comes in your path, the people who eat crap all day and says they are bulking just dont have discipline. Many people follow this method (including myself) with great results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusbrah View Post
    You got it all wrong. IIFYM=If it fits your macros. The basic philosophy behind it it that proteins are proteins, carbs are carbs and fats are fats. This means you can eat your macros worth with donuts, chocolate, burgers etc (if you wish). At the end of the day your daily macro intake should end up where youve decided it should be, so youre still watching what your eating. Doesnt mean you just shove in all the crap that comes in your path, the people who eat crap all day and says they are bulking just dont have discipline. Many people follow this method (including myself) with great results.
    That is not what i'm saying, i know what it means.

The more sugary foods filled with carbs are faster digesting, so they're stored as fat faster than if you were to eat the same amount of carbs worth of oats which would be slower burning and giving you more time to burn more calories before they're stored as fat?? So you end up eating the same calories for the day, but once you're over your tdee you'll store less fat by eating cleaner foods?? I'm actually not 100% sure about this but these were my thoughts.
    Do you know how long it takes to digest and absorb a mixed meal regardless of the GI of the carb? Or how irrelevant it is to anyone but a diabetic?

Carbs are very rarely stored as fat in humans. This doesn't depend on how fast or slow the carb source is either. The only macro that's regularly stored as fat is dietary fat not carbs or protein.

Thread Information