Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown
  • 1 Post By fitnesstrainer

Thread: Fermented foods

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member

Fermented foods

I am about to start making some sauerkraut and kombachu tea. Both are fermented food and I'm hoping it will help with my constant stomach problems due to their high natural probiotic count. Anybody else ever made their own fermented food and if so did it help with digestion?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnesstrainer View Post
    I am about to start making some sauerkraut and kombachu tea. Both are fermented food and I'm hoping it will help with my constant stomach problems due to their high natural probiotic count. Anybody else ever made their own fermented food and if so did it help with digestion?
    Just my own ale.......it helped with alot of things (lol).
    RaginCajun likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    made some moonshine before, good stuff!!!

Hahaha somehow I knew these are the responses I would get. Walked into that one.
    RaginCajun likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnesstrainer
    Hahaha somehow I knew these are the responses I would get. Walked into that one.
    Kefir grains and make your own kefir with milk. Fixes digestive issues.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Homemade fermented dill pickles and homemade butter milk. I've made both and loved them

Thanks for the replies, I'll try both of those to.

Hummingbard is offline New Member
    I make sauerkraut, kimchi, and kombucha tea and think they are the best stuff ever. Live food rocks. My favorite breakfast is a layer of homemade alfalfa sprouts topped with homemade sauerkraut, topped with grapefruit wedges. I get a chi-tingle when I eat this stuff. The same tingle happens with drinking kombucha. I use high quality loose teas rather than tea bags for even better flavor than store-bought.

I have found these foods help my intestines. Bowel movements are smoother, better formed, and less stinky than without probiotic foods. I also use Colosan (magnesium peroxide powder) occasionally to clean my intestines and bowels.

I had digestion troubles (irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux) which were cleared up only by going on an anti-candida protocol (it took years for me to diagnose the right culprit). Since candida yeast was my issue, kombucha and other fermented foods were exactly the wrong thing to take. These sugars in these foods actually encouraged yeast growth and made my troubles worse. Sauerkraut and kombucha were harmful in this case. After successfully dealing with the yeast overgrowth, I went back to the fermented foods and am now enjoying a healthy digestive tract from stem to stern.

So, I think fermented food is the bomb, but not a cure-all for all digestive troubles. It rather depends on what the digestive issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbard
    I make sauerkraut, kimchi, and kombucha tea and think they are the best stuff ever. Live food rocks. My favorite breakfast is a layer of homemade alfalfa sprouts topped with homemade sauerkraut, topped with grapefruit wedges. I get a chi-tingle when I eat this stuff. The same tingle happens with drinking kombucha. I use high quality loose teas rather than tea bags for even better flavor than store-bought. I have found these foods help my intestines. Bowel movements are smoother, better formed, and less stinky than without probiotic foods. I also use Colosan (magnesium peroxide powder) occasionally to clean my intestines and bowels. I had digestion troubles (irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux) which were cleared up only by going on an anti-candida protocol (it took years for me to diagnose the right culprit). Since candida yeast was my issue, kombucha and other fermented foods were exactly the wrong thing to take. These sugars in these foods actually encouraged yeast growth and made my troubles worse. Sauerkraut and kombucha were harmful in this case. After successfully dealing with the yeast overgrowth, I went back to the fermented foods and am now enjoying a healthy digestive tract from stem to stern. So, I think fermented food is the bomb, but not a cure-all for all digestive troubles. It rather depends on what the digestive issue is.
    What foods have candida? Thank you for your thoughtful reply. What did you cut from your diet that helped?

Try googling "Candida," "Candidiasis," or "Yeast infection."

It is not that foods contain it, it is that a poor diet creates the conditions for candida to flourish.

Anyone on this forum who tracks their macros is likely to be eating well enough to never have to give candida a second thought.

'Candida albicans' is the latin name for a type of yeast that naturally resides in our digestive tracts. Ideally, it should not be a big deal. It should live symbiotically with all the other bacteria and yeasts that also naturally reside within. A diet heavy in sugar and carbs throws off the balance by preferentially nurturing the yeast. The resultant yeast "overgrowth" colony can send tentacles through your intestinal wall (leaky gut syndrome) or take up residence in the lungs, brain, etc (causing allergies, depression, cravings for more carbs, what-have-you ...). Google "candida spit test" for self-diagnosis trick.

Eliminating sugar and carbs starves candida out. A two or three month keto diet probably is sufficient. For me, I took a flea medicine to weaken/wipe-it-out first, then jumped on a keto diet to make sure. Google "lufenuron candida cure" if you are interested in this non-standard approach.

I'm just sayin': the cure for one thing might be the trigger for something else.

You may want to identify exactly what your digestive issue is before throwing a lot of cures at it.

Enjoy the kombucha. I ferment mine extra long, and I add a little champagne yeast to it, to try to get as much sugar out of the finished product as possible. How long you ferment is an individual taste thing, though -- I let mine get almost vinegary. Great stuff.

Hummingbird. I am very interested in the Lufenuron cleanse and found the website. Care to share your experience?

Try googling "Candida," "Candidiasis," or "Yeast infection." It is not that foods contain it, it is that a poor diet creates the conditions for candida to flourish. Anyone on this forum who tracks their macros is likely to be eating well enough to never have to give candida a second thought. 'Candida albicans' is the latin name for a type of yeast that naturally resides in our digestive tracts. Ideally, it should not be a big deal. It should live symbiotically with all the other bacteria and yeasts that also naturally reside within. A diet heavy in sugar and carbs throws off the balance by preferentially nurturing the yeast. The resultant yeast "overgrowth" colony can send tentacles through your intestinal wall (leaky gut syndrome) or take up residence in the lungs, brain, etc (causing allergies, depression, cravings for more carbs, what-have-you ...). Google "candida spit test" for self-diagnosis trick. Eliminating sugar and carbs starves candida out. A two or three month keto diet probably is sufficient. For me, I took a flea medicine to weaken/wipe-it-out first, then jumped on a keto diet to make sure. Google "lufenuron candida cure" if you are interested in this non-standard approach. I'm just sayin': the cure for one thing might be the trigger for something else. You may want to identify exactly what your digestive issue is before throwing a lot of cures at it. Enjoy the kombucha. I ferment mine extra long, and I add a little champagne yeast to it, to try to get as much sugar out of the finished product as possible. How long you ferment is an individual taste thing, though -- I let mine get almost vinegary. Great stuff.
    Thanks a lot for your thoughtful post! I'm gonna start doing some more research.

Just ordered 2 doses of the cleanse!!!!

G.G.Rat:

Sure, I can offer my experience. Firmly in middle-age, I spent the last five years as a fat guy, and could not figure out why. My intentions to be fit were always good, but any attempt at better diet or exercise routine generally lasted about two weeks before I exhausted myself, or just lost interest.

One day, who knows why, I was reading up on candida and realized that I had symptoms (depression, irritable bowel, acid reflux, carb cravings) of candida. I immediately went to a keto diet. After a month, it seemed to help, but only partially. I found the lufenuron cure, tried it, and it worked immediately.

The most noticeable thing was a mental clarity (release of 'brain fog') about 48 hours from starting the protocol and freedom from the carb cravings. Problem solved. I repeated the Lufenuron dose 3 times at two week intervals (4x total), then went back on keto. (The lufe does not get absorbed if you are on keto when taking it.)

Since then (5 months, now) I have had the ability to make changes that are bringing me back to fitness. Having candida was a negative feedback loop. I got depressed & lazy, and the only thing that made me feel better was sugary and starchy comfort food. (I am an abuser of fruit smoothies -- healthy choice, all proud of myself, right? well, only in moderation -- track your macros! I over-sugared myself. )

The lufe treatment allowed me to break the negative loop and get established in a positive feedback loop. Finally, I am where good food makes me want more good food, and exercise makes me want more exercise. I never had that before in my life. I am working toward fitness. It turns out I am not fat & lazy & lacking in discipline, after all: I was just under possession of the alien beings that invaded my body. (It is convenient to be able to blame outside forces, no?)

It seems to me that anyone with a BB's physique (and, I am far from that) is unlikely to be a candida sufferer. Part of the candida syndrome is that the yeast does the thinking and starts making your diet choices for you. A candida sufferer would likely not have the discipline to be a body builder. If you are making good diet and exercise choices, you likely do not have a candida problem.

There is no harm in trying the cure anyway. Lufenuron is a flea medicine for cats & dogs. It works by breaking down the chitin (cellulose) cell walls in insects, such as fleas, and in fungi, such as yeast. Mammals have no chitin in their bodies. Lufe is considered inert for any mammal, including you & me. I got a slight nausea from my first dose, no sides after that. It tastes terrible. Try mixing it in cottage cheese or something to mask the taste.

There is something to be said for feeling clean, inside and out. Good luck to all.
    Last edited by Hummingbard; 01-27-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Thank you for sharing. I am anxious to go thru the cleanse.

A few years back I did a full body cleanse for 18 days with a different product. 2 - 9 days. Towards the front of second cycle I had an 'event'. Thankfully I was in the comfort of my home. What came out of my body was alien matter. This followed by what I learned was candida. Amazingly one of my male coworkers noticed s significant reduction in my tummy. It was quite a change from Friday to Monday. He pulled me aside and asked what I had done.

I was hoping to have s similar result. But be satisfied with mental clarity!!! I started Victoza a few months ago which removed my carb cravings so I know exactly hoe you feel unable to fight the sugar urges. Now I have no carb cravings especially in the evening.

2 weeks ago I started the Paleo 30 day challenge. I am eating more healthy fats then I have ever and very low carbs from mostly veggies. I was under impression I could maintain this eating pattern during lufa cleanse including taking the lufa with fat. I will have to research a bit more.

Thank you again!!!

Well, good luck with it. I hope you get the result you are looking for. Let us know.

If you are into cleansing, have you looked into herbal parasite cleanses (black walnut hull extract + cloves + wormwood) or liver flushes (epson salt + olive oil + grapefruit juice)? Google "Hulda Clark" or "Andreas Moritz" plus "Liver Flush" for different protocols -- nothing is for sale ... you get your own cleansing supplies at the grocery store or health food store for yourself. These were life changing cleanses for me.

Each is a miracle worker in its own right. You truly will release things you never knew were there.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    awesome thread!
    sauerkraut, Tempe and kimchi I LOVE

Well, good luck with it. I hope you get the result you are looking for. Let us know. If you are into cleansing, have you looked into herbal parasite cleanses (black walnut hull extract + cloves + wormwood) or liver flushes (epson salt + olive oil + grapefruit juice)? Google "Hulda Clark" or "Andreas Moritz" plus "Liver Flush" for different protocols -- nothing is for sale ... you get your own cleansing supplies at the grocery store or health food store for yourself. These were life changing cleanses for me. Each is a miracle worker in its own right. You truly will release things you never knew were there.
    Great great info. Thanks so much. Doing a liver cleanse before cycling would probably be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Juced_porkchop
    awesome thread! sauerkraut, Tempe and kimchi I LOVE
    Thanks! Never tried kimchi but buddies of mine who got stationed in Korea love it.

Well, good luck with it. I hope you get the result you are looking for. Let us know. If you are into cleansing, have you looked into herbal parasite cleanses (black walnut hull extract + cloves + wormwood) or liver flushes (epson salt + olive oil + grapefruit juice)? Google "Hulda Clark" or "Andreas Moritz" plus "Liver Flush" for different protocols -- nothing is for sale ... you get your own cleansing supplies at the grocery store or health food store for yourself. These were life changing cleanses for me. Each is a miracle worker in its own right. You truly will release things you never knew were there.
    Very interesting. I will have to take a look into these. I wonder what I have that should be freed.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat
    Just ordered 2 doses of the cleanse!!!!
    Completed first cleanse. Only noted a mucus release on day 3. Just completed day 3 loading of 2nd cleanse. Nothing to report yet.

skaz915 is offline Member
    Just beer, oh yea definitely helped..catch a buzz

Quote Originally Posted by skaz915
    Just beer, oh yea definitely helped..catch a buzz
    Lol. Good one!

Thread Information