rhickman is offline New Member

Carbs, Bodyfat, and TDEE

Hey everyone,

I posted on here a few weeks back and introduced myself. I have been reading and studying more and still have a few burning questions I get multiple answers to.

To start I'm 19 years old, turning 20 in September, I'm 6'3.5" and weigh between 215-220 depending on the time of day, normally hit 218 mid day without being stuffed or starving. I'm a little hesitant to post pictures up but I'm sure as this thread progresses they're going to get posted up here.

If I had to put myself into a category, it would be endomorphic. My body isn't very good with carbs and I know that. I had a set of extenuating circumstances when I was 17 that stopped me from training and playing hockey (used to play a very high level 7 nights a week) but I kept eating like I was active... before I knew it I was 18 years old and about 290 lbs. SO I've lost a fair chunk of weight and now have started hitting the weights heavy again, focusing on them and have hung up the skates (a one maybe two, beer league games a week so nothing serious).

My first question is how do you guys and gals curb the carb cravings? My cravings hit me EXCEPTIONALLY hard around 5-6 pm when I get home from work, and pretty much destroy all the clean eating I had done during the day and at breakfast time. Granted I train about an hour after getting home from work but I hate taking in any garbage carb I can get my hands on because I have no will power.

My second question, what is the most accurate way to find my TDEE? And, when I'm multiplying to account for exercise, is that the number you deduct 500 from to find your deficit number?

I currently have a three day split that I am enjoying and seeing good gains in; Legs/Chest, Back/Shoulders, Arms/Calves, I walk home every night of the week aside from leg day (about 40 minutes of walking) and then 3 nights a week I hit Abs and do some boxing/skipping HIIT cardio. So I would think that puts me at the 1.55 multiplier? Im not really looking to lose weight right now, Im sure some fat will shrink as I train hard and consistently, but when I do start to try and lose some fat (Mid April I plan on starting) I want to carb cycle and will tackle that animal in another thread.

My third question, when I am posting pics, front shot, back shot, side shot, and wheels, anything else? And flexed or not flexing? Im a tad hesitant to post pics but I think its a good way to show everyone where I am. I would put myself between 15-17% bodyfat, but Ive never tested or had it tested.

Thanks in advance everyone.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi rhickman,

Carb craving for me was something I had to get used to, basically, get my head in the game. I moved some foods around during the day so I never ate before 1pm and then I could eat closer to the end of the day. This helped me quite a bit.

TDEE is just a starting estimation. Use this so you know where to start but you need to modify the diet according to how you respond after this.

Thanks
    ~t

rhickman is offline New Member
    I get a TDEE around 2250 Calories a day, does that sound about right or did I screw something up?

Thanks for your input, Ive been trying a few different ideas over the past couple weeks and what Im finding is that if I eat carbs in the morning, I have worse cravings in the evening, compared to not eating in the morning, and allowing myself to eat before and after I train.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    TDEE sounds about right, however, as previously I stated, this is a guideline value. Modify calories accordingly to how you respond.

Thanks
    ~t

Thread Information