ReverendNewman is offline Associate Member

Diet Soda, final verdict?

Is/Can diet soda be hampering my weight loss? How? It's calorie free, isn't it? I probably drink a total of about 2-20 ounce bottles through out the course of the day. I still chug plenty of water through out the day. And here is my dirty little secret: I also drink two 24 ounce WaWa cups of coffee, and yes I load it up with sugar and light cream. Other then these two MAJOR glitches in my diet, it is otherwise sound.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I have one diet sods per day even when prepping for shows...is it good, NO but will it kill progress, also NO...in ideal world i would say drop it, i know even artificial sweeteners can induce insulin spike, i know when i stopped drinking crystal light at night while i sleep my progress was improved to the point that i noticed...if someone is just staying in shape i say go ahead have it, if its show prep stop 2-4 weeks out to get that last little bit of weight off...

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I vote to drop it, that shit is pure poison on every level. I have read so many articles that have shown negative side effects, there must be some truth to it. Look around, how many fat people do you see sucking back gallons of that stuff? In moderation anything can be ok for the most part, but if you are trying to reach a goal, why not stack as many cards in your favor as possible?

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I also want to point out that most of the studies complete in regards to artificial sweeteners are funded by sugar industry, i see a little bit of conflict of interest and for those that studied statistics know that any research results can be manipulated in a way to display pre-determined outcome...

Yeah, I was thinking of switching to that MIO shit. But when I tried that, man, is it sweet to the taste also. I see Pepsi is coming back with with real sugar. I think people are starting to realize that HFC (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is probably worse for u. Anyway, I think its just a bad habit. Like my coffee. I never used to drink it. I don't even really care for the taste. I think it's just the sugar and light cream. Anyway, I agree, all things in moderation. Maybe I'll just switch to those little 7 ounce "nips" of Coke Zero every few days to wean myself off. I think I measured the calories of my coffee once and it came out to like 375 calories. Times that by two a day, I might as well be drinking a friggin' milkshake. I think I have my answer. Thanx guys.
    Last edited by ReverendNewman; 04-26-2015 at 06:56 AM.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendNewman View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of switching to that MIO shit. But when I tried that, man, is it sweet to the taste also. I see Pepsi is coming back with with real sugar. I think people are starting to realize that HFC (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is probably worse for u. Anyway, I think its just a bad habit. Like my coffee. I never used to drink it. I don't even really care for the taste. I think it's just the sugar and light cream. Anyway, I agree, all things in moderation. Maybe I'll just switch to those little 7 ounce "nips" of Coke Zero every few days to wean myself off. I think I measured the calories of my coffee once and it came out to like 375 calories. Times that by two a day, I might as well be drinking a friggin' milkshake. I think I have my answer. Thanx guys.
    HFCS vs. Sugar. Once it is below the neck there is zero metabolic difference. Equally bad!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg
    HFCS vs. Sugar. Once it is below the neck there is zero metabolic difference. Equally bad!
    nice summary!

uhit is offline Member
    In moderation I see it being very mild in terms of damage it can do.

I like to drink one with my meals from time to time. But just remember to have a sufficient intake of water and not to replace the drink for water, but rather supplement it with

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendNewman View Post
    Seems like you found your own problem. It's less of the diet soda rather than the "milkshakes" you're assembling twice a day and not counting the calories even though it's ending up at around 800+ extra lol...I know Jay Cutler drank alot of diet soda during prep. Physique-wise you should be fine. Health-wise, whole different story??

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post

Word!

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Dropping anything with artificial sweeteners was one of the best moves I've done. Felt more "present" and slept noticeably better. Stopped getting headache's. Also switched from coffee to just a double shot of espresso in the morning. It won't kill you but if your looking to tighten up your diet, leaving soda behind and reducing coffee intake cannot hurt!

NumLock is offline Junior Member
    used to be a pepsi-sugar free addict, when quit it, i saw myself progressing better. i still take it when i feel that i need something sweet.
    my friend who takes part in completions always stops using any food/liquids with artificial sweeteners when preparing for a show, even isolates powders.

Thread Information