Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima
  • 1 Post By Khazima

Thread: Daily protein intake

gettinbig30 is offline Junior Member

Daily protein intake

So my goal is to take in about 200 to 225 grams of protein a day. What's the most that your body allows at one time/per hour? If I'm trying to put on muscle, my assumption is that most of this protein needs to come as food instead of shakes? I am a chef and it's hard to eat after cooking all day, believe it or not. Thanks in advance for any information or experience.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's ideal to get the majority of your protein from food but it's fine if you have to supplement a portion of it with protein powder. The body will digest and use every single gram you ingest, but the more you ingest the longer it'll take to digest. The main concern is how long between maximally spiking muscle protein synthesis, which the current literature points towards every 4-5 hours having enough protein containing enough of the amino acid leucine (3.6g) which for a whey protein shake is about 30g, and for something like steak or chicken more about 40g.

So there is not any myth to there being too much protein that can be consumed per hour that some of it will be wasted?

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinbig30 View Post
    So there is not any myth to there being too much protein that can be consumed per hour that some of it will be wasted?
    Excess protein usually gets converted into stored glycogen. So there is a limit to how much is used optimally, and how much is 'wasted'. However, one reason why most prefer such high protein numbers when cutting for example is due to its nature in being satiating.

You can get by fine with 1-1.5g of protein/lb of weight. Anything more would be personal preference.

Is there like an ideal amount that can be taken in per hour?

Yes, supposedly 30-50 grams (depending on the source) every 4-5 hours.

BigMan65 is offline Associate Member
    ronnie has a video of him taking 100 grams....

then again he was 300 lbs then.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    Yes, supposedly 30-50 grams (depending on the source) every 4-5 hours.
    Highly debated topic.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Highly debated topic.
    I agree....I've seen guys make gains on Intermittent fasting diets where all calories were consumed within 2 meals and a PWO shake. There is something to be said about continuously feeding your body but the "oh no I'm 3 hours without food I'm catabolic" Was mostly hype for companies like EAS to sell meal replacements. This all being in my humble opinion with some personal experience thrown in

Post from a doctor (literally a doctor) in protein science, probably the most valid meta-analysis on the data of protein timing and maximally spiking muscle protein synthesis. Forgive where the link was posted, it's just a repost on another website but it's widely published.

Layne Norton PhD on protein: how much and how often? - Spot Me Bro
    uhit likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312
    I agree....I've seen guys make gains on Intermittent fasting diets where all calories were consumed within 2 meals and a PWO shake. There is something to be said about continuously feeding your body but the "oh no I'm 3 hours without food I'm catabolic" Was mostly hype for companies like EAS to sell meal replacements. This all being in my humble opinion with some personal experience thrown in
    I agree with you here Scotty, been doing intermittent fasting since February and love it!

I prob have 2-4 meals a day, get about 160-190g of protein a day.

-Horus- is offline Junior Member
    250-300g split up into 70ish grams at a time during day.

I forgot to mention the article states that overall daily protein intake is the most important factor, frequency etc is that extra 1% that almost everyone needs not worry about.
    RaginCajun likes this.

So, as long at you're getting the overall protein intake during the day? How much at a time or per hour is not the important factor?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinbig30
    So, as long at you're getting the overall protein intake during the day? How much at a time or per hour is not the important factor?
    Yes and yes

Why are you so worried about that?

Boozer35 is offline Banned
    No. The body will make use of what you put in regardless of when it's put in.

Boozer35 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    Excess protein usually gets converted into stored glycogen. So there is a limit to how much is used optimally, and how much is 'wasted'. However, one reason why most prefer such high protein numbers when cutting for example is due to its nature in being satiating.

You can get by fine with 1-1.5g of protein/lb of weight. Anything more would be personal preference.
    Last edited by Boozer35; 04-30-2015 at 06:48 PM.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    You can also go the efficient route and take 10-20g of bcaa's, this will help get the building blocks of protein in without having to stuff a ton of food in. You still have to eat mind you, but this will help get the numbers up a bit. I take at least 20g of bcaa's a day and I find it works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun
    Yes and yes Why are you so worried about that?
    i if you had read what I posted before I was saying that I'm a chef and it's hard to eat during the day with loss of appetite and I also work a lot and in school full time. So it's kind of hard for me to fit eating in and I'm also trying to stay informed, which is why I joined the forum.

I like my BCAA's when I am hungry but can't eat, or pressed for time and need something. I used to drink protein shakes at those times, but now I use the BCAA's. I also eat a lot of whole protein, 2 eggs and 3.5oz of chicken at breakfast, 10 oz chicken breast at lunch, then the same for a second lunch, then 8-10oz of some kind of meat at dinner, then some meat or a casein shake before bed. There is no substitute for real food, but sometimes supplements fill a void.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    zempey... bcaa's are kind of expensive. what do you get?

Aminocore from Allmax I think, 111 servings for 80 bucks, a bit pricey but I really like the results. I have a store here that does a buy one got one 50% of on tuesdays so I can save a couple bucks there.

i if you had read what I posted before I was saying that I'm a chef and it's hard to eat during the day with loss of appetite and I also work a lot and in school full time. So it's kind of hard for me to fit eating in and I'm also trying to stay informed, which is why I joined the forum.
    Just get it in when you can bro, eat calorically dense foods if you find you're having trouble getting in enough calories. Protein is super easy to hit, most people are already eating way to much, calories are the issue.

Thread Information