Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima

Thread: cutting but stomach is getting fatter

shneeblee808 is offline Junior Member
    So I'm 5'5 and I been on a calorie deficit I'm at 1700 calories right now I been cutting for a month and lost 3-4 pounds and my muscles are growing excellent but my stomach is getting fatter idk wtf

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Make sure you're measuring at the same time of day, fasted in the morning would be best. What's your weight? If you're still making gains in a caloric deficit then maybe your abs are getting thicker and as a result your waist getting thicker, you just haven't got lean enough to see them yet? Are you training abs like crazy? Most people who don't realize what they're doing are just adding more size to their mid section when abs are just about being lean enough to see them.
    NACH3 likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    [QUOTE="Khazima"Are you training abs like crazy? Most people who don't realize what they're doing are just adding more size to their mid section when abs are just about being lean enough to see them.[/QUOTE]

Very true. Especially obliques. Adds volume.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Although I do use weights for abs(2x a wk) i usually do body weight exercises and my abs have gotten much more lean... I agree w/both statements - as Khazima nailed it and GGR on obliques really gives you that nice shredded look w/serratus coming in

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I never use weight when I train abs, just a set of crunches daily and the odd time I do hanging leg raises or knee raises off the dip rack. I see guys everyday doing heavy weighted abs, they will never have a tight, slim looking waist. I like my beer, so I am not doing anything extra to make my gut stick out, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Make sure you're measuring at the same time of day, fasted in the morning would be best. What's your weight? If you're still making gains in a caloric deficit then maybe your abs are getting thicker and as a result your waist getting thicker, you just haven't got lean enough to see them yet? Are you training abs like crazy? Most people who don't realize what they're doing are just adding more size to their mid section when abs are just about being lean enough to see them.

I'm started at 190 and I'm 187 now my waist and stomach are not budging it's the same maybe even got bigger a bit but I do not train abs at all

I get bloat from carbs. Could this just be bloat?

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    I get bloat from carbs. Could this just be bloat?
    No its not I am at 20% body fat right now I am thinking maybe I should lower my carb intake and add it to protein?

Quote Originally Posted by shneeblee808 View Post
    No its not I am at 20% body fat right now I am thinking maybe I should lower my carb intake and add it to protein?
    I'd recommend you just continue doing what you're doing and be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by shneeblee808
    What is your macro split?

I do better with low carb. I just do.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

What is your macro split?

I do better with low carb. I just do.
    This is now.
    cal:1700
    Pro:191g
    Carb:128g
    Fat:47g

This is before
    Cal:1700
    Pro:170
    Carb:128
    Fat:57

So basically I just lowered my fats and shifted it to my protein so I been thinking maybe I should lower my carbs and put it to my fats and I should be taking 190 protein any way since my body weight is close to that idk... am I on the right track or what???

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    maybe its not getting bigger but the skin getting loose and making a sag I noticed the same when I lost, the fat will almost take different shapes as you progress towards a leaner BF

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post

I'd recommend you just continue doing what you're doing and be patient.
    And also I thought of this, plus its been a month my muscles are growing slowly maybe my stomach will shed away slowly also I wanted to point out that I started weight lifting 5 months ago I'm on my 6th right now, but during my first 4 months I had a terrible diet I just ate whatever I wanted and pretty much wasn't intaking enough protein and way more of carbs and fats so just this past month I ate a clean diet and shed 2-3 pounds and my muscles are growing at a better rate but my stomach and even my face seems not to be budging maybe I should be patient?

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    a month of good diet is good but you are not gona see a huge difference in your body that soon it took me 7-8 month of diet and busting my a** everyday before I could look down and visually notice a difference. it will take a very long time of trial and error until you find that perfect balance diet that works best for you so don't give up and stay with it and you will see results guaranteed.

solesrch is offline Junior Member
    Stomach always seems to be the last to go. I would just keep dieting and working out. I am sure it will come around.

Quote Originally Posted by shneeblee808 View Post
    And also I thought of this, plus its been a month my muscles are growing slowly maybe my stomach will shed away slowly also I wanted to point out that I started weight lifting 5 months ago I'm on my 6th right now, but during my first 4 months I had a terrible diet I just ate whatever I wanted and pretty much wasn't intaking enough protein and way more of carbs and fats so just this past month I ate a clean diet and shed 2-3 pounds and my muscles are growing at a better rate but my stomach and even my face seems not to be budging maybe I should be patient?
    Patience my friend, 1700 cals is already pretty low so don't do anything drastic and cut a bunch of calories, just leave it how it is for a while and when you can't lose 'weight' in general, or aren't noticing visual changes then take 50 or so calories out and report back.

Thread Information