cory0311 is offline New Member

hitting the GYM, dieting to lose a gut!!!

Just need some advice on what i am thinking here.
    Using the HB formula, my TDEE is 2232.24 calories. I am 5'11'', weight is 190 pounds, and i am turning 40 this summer so I went off of the age of 40. In my eyes I am not a fat person, but I am developing a gut, so I guess I can be considered fat...don't know. I am going to cut my calories intake by 500 calories, which will take my calories intake to 1732 calories. I'll hit the gym between 3pm and 4pm for a work out and cardio every day ( 2 hours total) except one day will be just a cardio day (1 hour).
    My 6 meals a day will be something like:

Meal 1 (breakfast) 7:00am
    Food Carbs Protein Fat Total Calories
    Egg White 0 4 0 17
    Egg White 0 4 0 17
    Egg White 0 4 0 17
    Banana 25 1 0 105
    oat meal 32 4 2 160
    total 57 17 2 316

Meal 2 (snack) 10:00am
    almonds (1oz) 6 6 14 164
    Total 6 6 14 164

Meal 3 (lunch) 1:00pm
    Peanut butter 3 4 8 100
    2 slices of bread 24 3 1.5 120
    Banana 25 1 0 105
    Total 52 8 9.5 325

Meal 4 (Post WorkOut) 5pm or 6pm
    Whey Shake 5 40 0.5 190
    Egg White 0 4 0 17
    Egg White 0 4 0 17
    Total 5 48 0.5 224

Meal 5 (dinner) 7pm or 8pm
    hard-boiled egg 0 6 5 74
    hard-boiled egg 0 6 5 74
    Chicken Breast 0 28 3 150
    Banana 25 1 0 105
    Total 25 41 13 403

Meal 6 (bedtime) 10pm or 11pm
    Whey Shake 5 40 0.5 190
    Banana 25 1 0 105
    Total 30 41 0.5 295

Total grams for the day Carbs.: 175g, Protein: 161g, Fat: 39.5g, calories: 1727g close to 40/40/20

As you can notice, I do not have any veggies in my diet due to I do not eat veggies...I've been like that since a kid...cant help it.
    My goal is to lose my gut and get from 190 pounds to 175 pounds. Then I will move on to adding mass, but staying cut.
    Here is a front and side view of me.
    hitting the GYM, dieting to lose a gut!!!-20150526_011153_resized.jpghitting the GYM, dieting to lose a gut!!!-20150526_011220_resized.jpg
    Please give me any advise you see fit!!!

Hahaha. The veggie thing got me weak. But in all seriousness it sounds like you have your diet down. I would recommend though that you bump up your calories just a bit. Maybe shoot for 300 under your tdee. Let your body adjust. I'm close to your weight and I'm at 2,000 calories a day and let me tell you. It's not fun. Gradually decrease your calories until you get used eating such little food. Slow and steady wins the race. If your constantly hungry your more prone to binge. As far as the veggies go the only thing I can say is you need to eat them! I'm sure your not going to but you need to get some fiber in you. I suggest using a fiber supplement to compensate not eating veggies.

One more thing your macros look off to me. Maybe somebody else can verify for me. Your fats are way too low. Minimum of 50gs of fat. Try bumping up the fats and lowering the carbs.

One more wee thing that I saw in your diet. Take out the bread! Replace with something else. Unless its Ezekiel bread I wouldn't touch it.
    Last edited by CharlesThe4th; 05-26-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post
    Hahaha. The veggie thing got me weak. But in all seriousness it sounds like you have your diet down. I would recommend though that you bump up your calories just a bit. Maybe shoot for 300 under your tdee. Let your body adjust. I'm close to your weight and I'm at 2,000 calories a day and let me tell you. It's not fun. Gradually decrease your calories until you get used eating such little food. Slow and steady wins the race. If your constantly hungry your more prone to binge. As far as the veggies go the only thing I can say is you need to eat them! I'm sure your not going to but you need to get some fiber in you. I suggest using a fiber supplement to compensate not eating veggies.

One more thing your macros look off to me. Maybe somebody else can verify for me. Your fats are way too low. Minimum of 50gs of fat. Try bumping up the fats and lowering the carbs.

One more wee thing that I saw in your diet. Take out the bread! Replace with something else. Unless its Ezekiel bread I wouldn't touch it.
    charles, thanks for the reply back...really appreciate the feed back. I don't think my math is wrong if i used the correct formula for the fat. Since my TDEE is 2232 and i want to cut it down by 500 calories, then it would be at 1732. 20% of 1732= 344.6/9 (9 calories to 1g)= 38.28g of fat a day. Please let me know if the formula I used is wrong!!!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    The formula is a general rule, like any other formula. At 190lbs I could cut at 2300cals per day with. 1000cals burned from cardio per week. We are all different, there are others who may well need a lot less and some, more.

Let's get some more info here

No offence meant here but you haven't started lifting yet right? What is your proposed lifting programme and how many days per week will you lift?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    The formula is a general rule, like any other formula. At 190lbs I could cut at 2300cals per day with. 1000cals burned from cardio per week. We are all different, there are others who may well need a lot less and some, more.

Let's get some more info here

No offence meant here but you haven't started lifting yet right? What is your proposed lifting programme and how many days per week will you lift?
    Back In Black,
    I have not started lifting yet. I just bought my membership yesterday and will start my schedule for my work out on Monday. I was going to take the next few days and do a clens and get all the toxins out of my body. And then on Monday morning is when I am going to start my diet and my workout....actually about to head to the store to buy all the type of food I need for my diet.
    My workout schedule is going to be going to the gym ever day to work out with 2 active rest days
    Day 1: shoulder/traps/abs/run 2 miles
    Day 2: back/biceps/forearms/bike 2 miles
    Day 3: Active rest day (cardio...run 3 miles/bike 5 miles)
    Day 4: chest/triceps/abs/run 2 miles
    Day 5: legs/bike 2 miles
    Day 6: Active rest day (cardio...run 3 miles/bike 5 miles)
    and then start over at day one again.
    As you can see in my disturbing picture I posted of myself, I need to lose my gut. So, I am very motivated for this to happen, even though I know I will not see result by time I take my cruise at the end of June, but I will keep at it and post a log on here along with some pictures of my disappearing gut.

Quote Originally Posted by cory0311 View Post
    I have not started lifting yet.
    No better time than right now.
    I just bought my membership yesterday and will start my schedule for my work out on Monday. I was going to take the next few days and do a clens and get all the toxins out of my body. And then on Monday morning is when I am going to start my diet and my workout....actually about to head to the store to buy all the type of food I need for my diet.
    Screw that. Get in the gym and lift!

My workout schedule is going to be going to the gym ever day to work out with 2 active rest days
    Day 1: shoulder/traps/abs/run 2 miles
    Day 2: back/biceps/forearms/bike 2 miles
    Day 3: Active rest day (cardio...run 3 miles/bike 5 miles)
    Day 4: chest/triceps/abs/run 2 miles
    Day 5: legs/bike 2 miles
    Day 6: Active rest day (cardio...run 3 miles/bike 5 miles)
    and then start over at day one again.
    As you can see in my disturbing picture I posted of myself, I need to lose my gut. So, I am very motivated for this to happen, even though I know I will not see result by time I take my cruise at the end of June, but I will keep at it and post a log on here along with some pictures of my disappearing gut.
    In all seriousness, I would not split up your bodyparts like that. You are just starting out. There is no need to try and mimic the routines you see in the magazines. Go in every other day and lift on your whole body for a few weeks, and do the basics. For Example, do actual squats, with a bar on your back, not a machine.

Forget working your abs. You cannot spot reduce. Your abs will get work from things like squat and dead lift.

Always try to increase the number of repetitions you do every time you go in the gym. When you hit your target number of repetitions, then on your next visit you will increase the weight. Then start increasing the repetitions again. Over and over and over until you get the results you desire.

There is just no reason in the world for a beginning weightlifter to have a separate, dedicated "chest/triceps" day and then not work chest again for a week. That is a recipe for failure, because a beginner cannot possibly get the intensity that requires a week of rest.

Work your whole body, and two days later do it again.

Exercises like:

Squat, bench press, deadlift, military press, pull ups (if you are strong enough, lat pulldowns on a machine if not), bent over barbell rows, etc. Once you master these, and your weights increase, and you start seeing some results, then maybe you can start adding in some isolation work and maybe splitting up days, but even then the split would not be six freakin' days long. It should be years, a decade maybe, before a split like that would possibly be beneficial to you.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Abs are made in the kitchen . I do 100 crunches on a ball and a few planks as a warm up to workout. Then lift heavy. I never work obliques anymore. I used to but don't want to add size to that location.
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 06-13-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Thread Information