Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By trn123
  • 1 Post By djgreen
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte
  • 2 Post By Back In Black

Thread: Oats and cornflakes

Myers is offline Associate Member

Oats and cornflakes

I started bulking , been eating oats for a while now and i'm looking for a replacement , never ate cornflakes(not that popular where i'm living) , looked up the macros on 50g and they seem decent? So why do people prefer oats over cornflakes? The ones i'm buying don't have an extra sugar and crap, they are as tasteless as possible, getting them from some special store lol...

So can any1 shed some light on this for me ?

trn123 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers
    I started bulking , been eating oats for a while now and i'm looking for a replacement , never ate cornflakes(not that popular where i'm living) , looked up the macros on 50g and they seem decent? So why do people prefer oats over cornflakes? The ones i'm buying don't have an extra sugar and crap, they are as tasteless as possible, getting them from some special store lol... So can any1 shed some light on this for me ?
    Personal preference, but I think it's due to the milk macros added in. Most people eat oats with water....corn flakes with water would taste like anus.

If you look, I posted a thread about meal variety. I do eat oats often, but I also have many other options that hit my macros and have a short prep time.
    Myers likes this.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    you got to flavor that s**t put some sugar free maple syrup, or some cinnamon and put some fruit in there and it will taste a lot better
    DCI likes this.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Just because the macros look the same does not mean they are equal.
    And cereal is much more expensive.
    DCI likes this.

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Whole Oats are not processed. I would think corn flakes are?

Myers is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Just because the macros look the same does not mean they are equal.
    And cereal is much more expensive.
    When you say that you mean because of the glycemic index?

Thanks for the replies guys.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Yes i always thought the gi of corn flakes to be real high...makes me wonder how much that is slowed down with the fat from the milk or how much a lot of higher gi foods are slowed by what they are eaten with...and/or is gi even really looked at/talked about much still

oats r soooo yummy though

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Cornflakes are high GI. Oats are low. The GI of a food does change when you consumer other foods at the same time. Better to look at the glycaemic Load values instead. Although some lower GI foods are less healthy than other, typically 'healthier' foods.

Most chocolate has a lower GI than oats for example.

But look at the bigger picture, as Bonaparte says,there's more to it than macro's. What about micro's? Fibre,vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals etc
    zaggahamma and DCI like this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

uhit is offline Member
    If you want a replacement for oats, go with weetabix.

Literally the same thing with a slight nicer taste to it.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    There really is not much difference between sugar and processed foods like cereals. Once it is below the neck it is pretty much the same.

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Cornflakes are high GI. Oats are low. The GI of a food does change when you consumer other foods at the same time. Better to look at the glycaemic Load values instead. Although some lower GI foods are less healthy than other, typically 'healthier' foods.

Most chocolate has a lower GI than oats for example.

But look at the bigger picture, as Bonaparte says,there's more to it than macro's. What about micro's? Fibre,vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals etc
    Did you ever see how they make corn flakes they literally get rid of all the nutrients and only use the starch to make them so there is no fibre etc really in corn flakes, I'd call em nearly negative nutrition because of the process they go through

Quote Originally Posted by DCI View Post
    Did you ever see how they make corn flakes they literally get rid of all the nutrients and only use the starch to make them so there is no fibre etc really in corn flakes, I'd call em nearly negative nutrition because of the process they go through
    And then have to add in things like vitamins and iron.

Definitely not high on my list.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    I have developed an irresistible urge for Granola

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320 View Post
    I have developed an irresistible urge for Granola
    That's because of your show pre I guess?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    And then have to add in things like vitamins and iron.

Definitely not high on my list.

Same wouldn't rate any ceral tbh its all full of sugar to keep ypu craving the taste of that shit and then crave it for the rest of the day its mad.

They add actual iron fillings to all cerals that state they are fortified with iron check it out on youtube on 4 od on the show food unwraped. They got a magnet that they use to lift cars it actually lifted corn flakes off the floor.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black
    Cornflakes are high GI. Oats are low. The GI of a food does change when you consumer other foods at the same time. Better to look at the glycaemic Load values instead. Although some lower GI foods are less healthy than other, typically 'healthier' foods. Most chocolate has a lower GI than oats for example. But look at the bigger picture, as Bonaparte says,there's more to it than macro's. What about micro's? Fibre,vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals etc
    Like this response!

That's because of your show pre I guess?
    I like the taste, it's macros and energy values, and it's convenient. Pour on liquid egg whites, sometimes blend a scoop of whey with egg whites. Perfect meal.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I like the taste, it's macros and energy values, and it's convenient. Pour on liquid egg whites, sometimes blend a scoop of whey with egg whites. Perfect meal.
    I just threw up a little, sorry mate :-)

uhit is offline Member
    I've recently started eating puffed wheat.

Volume-wise, it gives me a shit ton for the carbs/calories it provides

Apricot mini shredded wheats are also a favourite of mine, 70g/100 carbs with only 17 sugar, plus fibre, protein and fats, a very complete cereal.

After reading this, I will be adding linseed to my cereal too.

Home
    About Sian Riley
    E-mail consultations
    Local clinics
    Your business
    Blog
    Contact Me
    The benefits of Linseed
    Posted In Blog, IBS | 125 comments

The benefits of Linseed
    The benefits of linseed have been recommended in the treatment of constipation predominate Irritable bowel Syndrome (IBS) for some time, and with great results. However, the health benefits of these little seeds stretch beyond their use in treating IBS to; improving digestive function, reducing bloating, preventing constipation, improving blood cholesterol levels & heart health, reducing the symptoms of the menopause and possibly improving insulin sensitivity & blood glucose control. There's a lot of goodness packed into those tiny seeds!

The benefits of linseed

The benefits of Linseed - Fibre
    Linseeds (also known as Flaxseeds) are a great source of gluten/wheat free fibre. They promote bowel movement by increasing the water content and bulk volume of our stools (number 2's!), keeping us nice and regular. Fibre is important in the prevention of bowel cancer, constipation and slowing the absorption of sugar into our blood stream.
    Most of us don't eat the recommended amount of fibre. Adding linseed to your diet is an easy, convenient way of increasing your dietary fibre. Start with a teaspoon a day, and increase slowly until you're having 1-2 tablespoons, spread throughout the day. It's really important to increase your fluid intake along with your fibre, aim for 8-10 cups of alcohol free fluid each day. Why not try mixing linseeds with a glass of water? Killing 2 birds with 1 stone!
    Want to know more about fibre, the benefits of linseeds and your bowels? Watch this clip of Melissa's experience of upping her fibre intake during the 'The Food Hospitals - Fibre challenge'

The benefits of Linseed - Omega 3 fatty acids
    Linseeds, particularly in their ground form, are a great vegetarian source of the Omega 3 essential fatty acid, Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA). Our bodies can't make ALA, so it is 'essential' that we get them from our diet. These essential fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties, offering health benefits to a number of chronic diseases such as Heart disease, Diabetes and Arthritis.
    The benefits of linseed - Try some today!
    Buy them from your local health food shop or supermarket. Add them to just about anything, giving an extra 'bite' to foods! Soups, sandwiches, salads, cereals or my particular favourite - yoghurt. They can be added to bread mixes before baking or keep it simple - mix a spoonful into a glass of water. Any suggestions, on jazzing up foods with linseeds? Add your idea to the comments box at the bottom of the page.
    So, golden or brown, the benefits of Linseed to complement a varied, healthy diet are numerous. Remember, the benefits are seen with their long term use. Increase gradually, with plenty of fluid, and let me know how you find them!
    If you enjoyed 'the benefits of linseed' blog - you might also want to read 'Treatments of IBS'
    photo by: HealthAliciousNess
    The following two tabs change content below.

I'm pretty sure humans don't have the necessary enzymes to break down whole linseeds. Better to crush them unless you want them to come out whole the other end!!!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I'm pretty sure humans don't have the necessary enzymes to break down whole linseeds. Better to crush them unless you want them to come out whole the other end!!!
    I think that's the point, or have I missed it. Linseed being an insoluble fibre

I think that's the point, or have I missed it. Linseed being an insoluble fibre
    Just saying don't take them whole.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Just saying don't take them whole.
    Now you say that, the ones I've seen are milled( I think )

Corn is not a good food when it comes to nutrition.

Thread Information