Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Far from massive
  • 2 Post By tarmyg
  • 2 Post By tectime
  • 1 Post By KBall32
  • 1 Post By KBall32
  • 1 Post By C3RB3RUS

Thread: From anabolic Lounge Thru Hiking the AT 25% expected weight loss how to keep muscle

BuzzardMarinePumper is offline Knowledge Member on Prostate Cancer
    Blog Entries

From anabolic Lounge Thru Hiking the AT 25% expected weight loss how to keep muscle

I have not posted in quite a while ! I am sure everyone has missed me I am well and life is good !

Got an unusual Topic/Question

I am going to Thru Hike the Appalachian Trail April 2016 from Georgia to Maine ! Or possibly for April 2016 , I may just do 525 miles from Georgia to Virginia , about a 75 day hike and that is the distance people loose all their weight on ~ ! You go from 6000 ft and snow to 2500 ft and 80* all in one day

-------------------- I am now 6 ft 239 lbs and have easy 15 lbs of fat that would be welcome loss , with information stated in this post how much muscle should I expect to loose with no specific gym time for 6 + months . There will be massive amount of cardio daily and above average muscle building and endurance on calves , quads , Gluts , Lower Lumbar , Some secondary Deltoid , Very little Trap usage , some general Fore Arm , Triceps , Biceps ,

1) Almost all who back pack from April until October Georgia to Maine (6 + months) 2500 miles + loose 40 +lbs ?

2) I have not seen many who appeared to have any above average lean weight on them in any You Tube pod cast ?

3) Back packing burns about 800 to 1000 calories an hour backpacking a 50+ lb pack 7 to 8 hrs a day !

4) A staple to keep calories up on the AT are SNEAKERS BARS ?

5) Thru Hikers slam all the carbs they can of any kind and still go catabolic !

6) Due to weight restriction Meat protein is a small part of nutrition !

7) Protein is from beans , nuts , supplements , peanut butter ie shakes and man made bars ! Due to weight restrictions .

8) Any thoughts on other sources of protein besides eggs that I have an egg carrier for and only 12 at a time !

9) I almost have to have TB - 500 to prevent old injuries from being an issue ? How can I keep it chilled for 5 to 6 days at a X with no electricity just a small solar charger for phone & emergency radio , GPS !

10) Just an after thought ? Should I pig out and add large amounts of fat stores between now and April ? Even skinny people still loose 30 lbs and heavier (people with average to heavy amounts of fat ) people as much as 35% of total body weight !

11) All thoughts , Advise , Information , Facts , are welcome and invited !
    Last edited by BuzzardMarinePumper; 10-31-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am far from an expert on physiology and training but I would guess to venture that,
    at your age and experience you should not worry a bit about whatever muscle loss occurs.

This type of venture will make HUGE changes in your metabolism.

Sure you will loose a good amount of muscle mass but you will loose a LOT more fat and you will be taxing and building the nervous system, joints, etc.

The cumulative effect of all this will be that when you return to the gym muscle memory and the changes in your physiology and metabolism will make it easy to return to a better leaner more muscled you than you have seen in years.

Just my two cents,

Plus you going on that long ass hike will mean we don't have to deal with your azz for another few months :-) Just kidding LOL's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    I am far from an expert on physiology and training but I would guess to venture that,
    at your age and experience you should not worry a bit about whatever muscle loss occurs.

This type of venture will make HUGE changes in your metabolism.

Sure you will loose a good amount of muscle mass but you will loose a LOT more fat and you will be taxing and building the nervous system, joints, etc.

The cumulative effect of all this will be that when you return to the gym muscle memory and the changes in your physiology and metabolism will make it easy to return to a better leaner more muscled you than you have seen in years.

Just my two cents,

Plus you going on that long ass hike will mean we don't have to deal with your azz for another few months :-) Just kidding LOL's
    lol . . .. .I resemble that remark ? What does age have to do with it I am 57 not 87 and I would venture to say I have passed the beginner stages and have a total of 17 years training experience and recently 3 amazing years of learning and gaining ! Besides I have not posted in over 3 mts that I know of ? I can;t decided if I have my feelings hurt or not ? Far from massive . I guess I will be OK though I hate it when I go places and people say you sure do look good for your age ! At 6 ft 240 lbs and a 33 in waist I think I have worked wonder from only 3 yrs ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA monster 10-02-15.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	160302
    Last edited by BuzzardMarinePumper; 11-02-2015 at 04:55 AM.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I really have nothing to add except for saying I am majorly jealous of not doing this myself.

Blog Entries
    Adding "Survival Tabs " @ 260 calories per tab to get calories up , still not addressing protein issue and next best way I have researched and found to get some but not enough protein is :

# !) Peanut Butter
    # 2) Trail mix mainly nuts and powdered sugar
    # 3) Tuna from a bag not the most efficient way to purchase tuna

tectime is offline Member
    Hey buzz ! Looking good dude! Yes I hate it when people say I look good for my age I just want to tell them hell I look good for your age!

KBall32 is offline Junior Member
    Buzz, Super jealous of you at this moment. I have hiked most of the AT, but not all at once. It's hard to beat regular protein powder when considering weight to Protein content. Powder, Shaker, Porcelain Water Purifier.

KBall32 is offline Junior Member
    Also beef jerky.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KBall32 View Post
    Also beef jerky.
    Yeah I am filtering water with a Sawyer mini and a Squeeze

Peanutbutter nuts and powdered sugar and lots of BCAA !

Thanks so much for the input ! I just git back from a 10 day mountain gear check and lost 15 lbs ! Now to test the theory of muscle memory and see how much lean weight I put back on because I did loose a lot of fat leaned out and vascular but also lost muscle Sooo keeping a detailed food journal and training routine for the next 3 weeks ! Going to the Dr Fri and can't take any Test until after that visit But then I am going to do 350 super test and Tren A and Tren E So I hope to report all lean gains and large size gains !

C3RB3RUS is offline Banned
    I was looking for this post! Yes, what a time he'll have! All those trees, fresh air, and silence. The weather is a little cold, but not absolutely terrible. -especially if one likes it cold.

So will there be fire? Are you bringing any type of weapon at all? how about a dog?

S.F.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C3RB3RUS View Post
    I was looking for this post! Yes, what a time he'll have! All those trees, fresh air, and silence. The weather is a little cold, but not absolutely terrible. -especially if one likes it cold.

So will there be fire? Are you bringing any type of weapon at all? how about a dog?

S.F.

Update

Took a 10 day hike started 7 days before Thanksgiving and just got a topo map and compass and headed up the power lines ! ( I am 56 and ground my knees to hamburger ) lost 25 lbs and mad 150 miles in 10 days ?

Sooooooo

New game plan all you can do is all you can do and we must listen to our bodies going to have to do weekends actually on the AT and then extend them all next spring ! Goal and dreams a great but not if you don't listen to you body and destroy your health by lack of prep !

Although I do think the AT will be easier than a pure rough power line trail ? I hope all will not judge me in a negative way . I feel at my age I must prep more and be in a different type of condition !

Lots of fire and cook butane and Beretta FS92 9mm

Thread Information