slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member

I'm back!!!! Well sort of. Need advice!

How's it going guys? I hope all of you are doing well. Browngirl and I have been crazy busy with school these past couple of years. The hard work has paid off though and this old fart (gonna be 34 this may) will be starting Med School in the fall. I was supposed to start last fall, but had to push it back due an accident - And thus the reason for my return here.

Last June I was getting ready for deer season and hanging some treestands, when my linemans belt (safety harness) broke and I fell 24 ft. I sustained burst fractures to two vertebra (the bone basically exploded) and jacked up everything else above and below it. I ended up having to have a fusion done from T7 to L3. Prior to the surgery we were unsure if I would walk as I had no feeling below the waist due to pretty severe spinal cord compression.

After several surgeries, extensive physical therapy, and 7 months later - I can now walk completely on my own. I just got off the walker about a month ago. Most importantly, I finally got my TLSO brace off last week and can now wipe my own ass again. Don't act like your not impressed. Bahaha

Pain was bad, but against all odds I'm now completely off all opiates with the exception of the occasional tylenol 4. People with spinal injuries as severe as mine tend to be in pain and require pain management for the rest of their lives.

Of course I would have rather this situation have never happened, but I feel extremely blessed and lucky that it wasn't any worse. It should've been, but somehow it wasn't.

Anyway, enough of the backstory. I need to lose some weight. Over the last 7 months, as you can imagine, I've really put on some fat. The first couple of months, I had absolutely no exercise and I was bedridden for 23 hours a day. After that I slowly increased my walking and therapy time but was still in bed for most of the day. Until about 2 months ago, I was also on a heavy dose of opiates known to severely slow your metabolism. Dilaudid, Extended released Oxycontin, and Norco 10. Opiates of this strength, used for any legth of time will actually slow your metabolism to the point that your bowels eventally slow to the point of severe constipation. You can only imagine what it did to my weight gain. Anyway, between no exercise and severely slow metabolism, I've probably put on 10% bodyfat or so. I'd say I'm currently in the 24-26% range. As you might imagine the additional pounds compressing my spine together (when upright) doesn't feel to pleasant either.

So, as soon as I stopped the opiates I started reducing my calories. To make it easy I went with a standard 40/40/20 P/C/F split. When using standard calculations my TDEE shows to be 2650; however, as I soon learned - nothing about this situation is "standard". I began with 2000 calories (a 650 deficit) and nothing (I was still gaining weight), then I dropped to 1800, and still nothing. 1500....you guessed it, nothing. Today I dropped it to 1200, but seriously....I can't go much lower.

As I mentioned earlier, I just now got my brace off and have only been off the walker a month, so I can do a LITTLE more walking, but my doc doesn't want me doing ANY lifting, and only very light walking - like walking around the house light.

He said we will reevaluate next month and I should be able to resume all daily activities and as much walking as I can tolerate; however, he said it will be at least until Aug before I can do any weight training as well as any cardio with any type of heavy impact (jogging/running). I expressed my concerns about the weight gain and the inability to drop the weight and his response was to eat a balanced meal and give it time. He's a smart guy, but he's a spinal surgeon and likely hasn't studied nutrition since med school or even undergrate.

So, what do you guy have for me? Any suggestions on what I can do to get this fat off?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Oh damn man, had no clue you suffered some injuries!!! Hope you are healing up!

Does your gym or is there a swimming pool near by? You can start doing some walking in there, no real impact on your joints and the water will/can create a little resistance.

i think i can remember you doing some intermittent fasting in the past, maybe try that again for a few weeks to see what happens? or maybe you need to start eating smaller more frequent meals (6-8 a day) and see how your body responds.

hope you are still limping around taking care of brown girl and that bundle of joy!

Thanks Bud. It's actually 2 bundles now. We had another girl in August. You still in S. Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade
    Thanks Bud. It's actually 2 bundles now. We had another girl in August. You still in S. Texas?
    Congrats my man!

Yes, still down here

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    Congrats my man!

Yes, still down here
    Last time we talked you were just getting into bow hunting. How'd that work out for you?

Last time we talked you were just getting into bow hunting. How'd that work out for you?
    I'm addicted!

Shot another doe with it this past year and couldn't get it a shot on a nice buck.

Need to shoot more!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    I'm addicted!

Shot another doe with it this past year and couldn't get it a shot on a nice buck.

Need to shoot more!
    Good deal man. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Just do yourself a favor and don't fall out of any trees. bahaha. It about killed me that I could hunt last year. Honestly, I can't wait to get back in a tree this fall.

Good deal man. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Just do yourself a favor and don't fall out of any trees. bahaha. It about killed me that I could hunt last year. Honestly, I can't wait to get back in a tree this fall.
    I feel for you!

Hope you get that strength back quick bud

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    That'd quite a year. Glad you are walking and off pain meds. Congrats on baby 2 And med school 2! You'll start feeling like yourself.

Thanks GGR. Browngirl asked about you. I told her you were one of the few that is still here. She said to say hi.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Where you living now? I thought you two were building your own home back east (or so I seem to remember) but your 411 says Hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Where you living now? I thought you two were building your own home back east (or so I seem to remember) but your 411 says Hollywood?
    We're still in Arkansas, but we'll be moving to Tennessee for med school in August. My location and avi are both from the film "The Big Lebowski".

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    We're still in Arkansas, but we'll be moving to Tennessee for med school in August. My location and avi are both from the film "The Big Lebowski".
    Med School? whoa! Well, between all the new kids in the house and all the hours you'll be spending in school and studying, say "Good-bye" to quality time with Browngirl for a few years. It's a helluva sacrifice, but after you get through it, (if your marriage survives - apologies for saying that) you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of your investment for the rest of your life.

But this will be a big strain on the relationship. Just be ready for it. I had to go through it (in a different profession), and it was HELL while I was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Med School? whoa! Well, between all the new kids in the house and all the hours you'll be spending in school and studying, say "Good-bye" to quality time with Browngirl for a few years. It's a helluva sacrifice, but after you get through it, (if your marriage survives - apologies for saying that) you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of your investment for the rest of your life.

But this will be a big strain on the relationship. Just be ready for it. I had to go through it (in a different profession), and it was HELL while I was doing it.
    Nah. It'll be a piece of cake. Our relationship is strong enough.

Thread Information