Results 1 to 35 of 35
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By jimmyinkedup
  • 1 Post By t.m.s.flyers88

Thread: sweet potatoes. how could one cook these?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887

    sweet potatoes. how could one cook these?

    so I've got 14 sweet potatoes. i'm going to make something with 7 for now.

    how can i cook 7 delicious sweet tatters. I really want to mash and combine with butter. but what else can i do?

    i'm going to have to eat this stuff with meat and veggies sometimes.

    I will not simply microwave them

  2. #2
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    23,889
    If your not going to microwave them then cook them either in the oven or boil them. They will make better mashed if you boil them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887
    anything else? boil, mash, add butter

  4. #4
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    23,889
    Quote Originally Posted by SOULSELL
    anything else? boil, mash, add butter
    I wouldn't put butter on them
    NACH3 likes this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887
    really?

  6. #6
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    23,889
    Quote Originally Posted by SOULSELL
    really?
    I wouldn't but yeah I am that strict

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887
    they are pretty good. how about a teaspoon of olive oil?

  8. #8
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    23,889
    Quote Originally Posted by SOULSELL
    they are pretty good. how about a teaspoon of olive oil?
    yeah that would be fine and you could use a little seasoning too

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887
    ok, nice thanks

  10. #10
    73rr's Avatar
    73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,764
    Dude, so many options. Haha I love sweet potatoes. U can make chips, fries, chop them up pan cook them and and a little olive oil(not the best option but good), oven in tinfoil, mashed!

    I even cut up slices of it and then take my chicken breasts cut them and put the sweet potato slices in the chicken. Cook it and u have a weird but awesome tasting center to your chicken breast. ( u could always just put it on the side. Would taste the same but I always think mind over matter)

  11. #11
    Tigershark's Avatar
    Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    13,187
    Mashed sweet potatoes with the skins left on are the best.
    Obviously you can find recipes pretty easily, but mashed is the way to go in my opinion.

  12. #12
    krugerr's Avatar
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK (Nr London)
    Posts
    3,870
    Buy an "acti-fry" you can make several portions of crispy chips/wedges with less than a teaspoon of oil.

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum

  13. #13
    Bonaparte's Avatar
    Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,471
    What's wrong with the microwave? That's works fine.

  14. #14
    bartman314's Avatar
    bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    788
    why is this in workout and training?

    microwave is great for me - the natural flavor is fine.

  15. #15
    jimmyinkedup's Avatar
    jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scamming my brothers
    Posts
    11,286
    Blog Entries
    2
    I too microwave them, love em that way.

    That being said here is an awesome recipe I actually got from here years ago. I dont recall who originally posted it but I have used it many times and it is delicious & very healthy.
    1 Large Sweet Potato
    2 egg whites
    Zero Cal Non Stick Spray
    Cookie sheet

    1-PreHeat oven to 350
    2-Wash and cut the sweet potato into fries. Dont make them too big or they wont cook through. We arent talking McDonalds fry thin but dont do big steak fries either. After you have the sweet potato cut into fries put in between paper towels and get off all the excess moisture. This is very important. Do it several times till they are as dry as you can get them.
    3-Take 2 egg whites and scramble in a large bowl.
    4-Cover your cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray very liberally. I mean use a lot!
    5- Put the dried off "fries" into the egg white mixture and coat liberally.
    6- Remove the fries from the egg whites a couple at a time and let all the excess egg white drip off back into the bowl.
    7-Place them onto cookie sheet spread out evenly.
    8- Bake at 350 for 20 mins, turning over at about 12 mins.

    Remove and let cool a bit then take off of cookie sheet. These are awesome. The egg white give a nice crispy and crunchy coating to the sweet potato fries. These in no way taste healthy but they damn sure are and they are delicious! Enjoy!

    Mistakes to watch out for:
    -Not drying them enough- If you dont the egg white will not stick to them.
    -Not letting egg white mixture drip off - If you dont do this it will pool up under the fries and make a mess under them on the cookie sheet. Then the egg white will burn on the sheet before the fries can cook.
    -Not using enough non stick spray - they will stick like crazy! The egg white acts like glue if it comes in contact with bare metal cookie sheet so make sure you really use liberally.

    Im not trying to make these sound complicated, they arent, they are simple as hell. Its just from trial and error I have made all f the above mistakes until I perfected this recipe. If I can save you the trouble and help you avoid them yours can turn out perfect from the start! Once you make these I almost guarantee you will be making them again and again!
    krugerr likes this.

  16. #16
    NACH3's Avatar
    NACH3 is offline VET
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Baking chicken
    Posts
    19,418
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    I wouldn't but yeah I am that strict
    Man sweet potatoes plain are great I look forward to my sweet taters(I microwave.... But I'd rather bake em on 400* for 20-25min at a time then flip for about an hr) I poke holes in them to get the center nice and mashed, too! They start to ooze when finishing up... Love them plain

  17. #17
    krugerr's Avatar
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK (Nr London)
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3
    Man sweet potatoes plain are great I look forward to my sweet taters(I microwave.... But I'd rather bake em on 400* for 20-25min at a time then flip for about an hr) I poke holes in them to get the center nice and mashed, too! They start to ooze when finishing up... Love them plain
    I love them plain too... With 4 tablespoons of butter haha!!

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum

  18. #18
    thelifesquare is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    10
    I use to cook sweet patato on bone fire, it really testy to cook on bone fire. Add some salt and enjoy.

  19. #19
    t.m.s.flyers88 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    74
    I have been slicing them pretty thin, lightly brushing them with olive oil. Crack a little sea salt and pepper and bake them to your liking as far as crispiness. Obviously the thinner the more crispy they will be, just keep an eye on them. I couldn't think of my diet without them..
    krugerr likes this.

  20. #20
    AR's King Silabolin's Avatar
    AR's King Silabolin is online now Castle Power
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,317
    Buy youraself a Vitamix Blender. Then cut them with knife and make a drink out of them. A good blender is expensive but its an invest and you then will be able to make your own powderdrinks almost for free. And powderdrinks from food are a lot lot bether than the malthodextrins.

    Quote Originally Posted by SOULSELL View Post
    so I've got 14 sweet potatoes. i'm going to make something with 7 for now.

    how can i cook 7 delicious sweet tatters. I really want to mash and combine with butter. but what else can i do?

    i'm going to have to eat this stuff with meat and veggies sometimes.

    I will not simply microwave them

  21. #21
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Think this thread is a bit out of place huh??

    Potatoes I eat a lot, mostly boiled with a dash of virgin olive oil

  22. #22
    Sfla80's Avatar
    Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    6,645
    Wrap tin foil

    Bake in oven.

    Leave in oven once almost done, turn oven off.

    Let sit in tinfoil and oven (off) for another hour or so.

    The juices will start pouring out and it's like eating candy

  23. #23
    Strongblood's Avatar
    Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southeast, USA
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    Wrap tin foil Bake in oven. Leave in oven once almost done, turn oven off. Let sit in tinfoil and oven (off) for another hour or so. The juices will start pouring out and it's like eating candy
    You got right! Dang, I could eat 4 right now!
    Sweet potatoes are the perfect food. And make a great addition to any diet.

  24. #24
    Strongblood's Avatar
    Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southeast, USA
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Silabolin
    Buy youraself a Vitamix Blender. Then cut them with knife and make a drink out of them. A good blender is expensive but its an invest and you then will be able to make your own powderdrinks almost for free. And powderdrinks from food are a lot lot bether than the malthodextrins.
    Yep! A great blender is a must. And it will pay for itself with the money you can save making your own smoothies!

  25. #25
    Strongblood's Avatar
    Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southeast, USA
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by thelifesquare
    I use to cook sweet patato on bone fire, it really testy to cook on bone fire. Add some salt and enjoy.
    Yea buddy! I like to wrap them really good in aluminum foil and drop them in the coals. It doesn't take long before you have cream sweet potatoes!

  26. #26
    thelifesquare is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    10
    I love to eat sweet potatoes cooked on Bone fire..

    I found the article on sweet potato recipes on nutritionsecrets website. (I have less then 25 post so I am unable to share the link here)

    Hope you like it.

  27. #27
    Learn1st's Avatar
    Learn1st is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    30
    Mashed with cinnamon and coconut oil. Sometimes I will add some fresh crushed pineapple. <<<your girlfriend will thank you

  28. #28
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is online now Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    22,924
    we need to get this moved into the nutrition/diet section

  29. #29
    45lb's Avatar
    45lb is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    423
    I microwave mine and put cinnamon on them. Yum

  30. #30
    Juced_porkchop's Avatar
    Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,615
    microwaving food ruins its make up, vitamins etc. its ALOT worse than just slightly over cooking it in oven. look into it. microwaved food is pretty bad/useless.. i avoid it at all costs now. to warm something up if in rush sure, but to cook, NEVER.
    look at food looked at under microscope after being microwaved vs. cooked with heat or even raw.

    anyways my fave is baking them as you would a reg potato. also baked sweet potato fries with a little seasoning and dash of salt is GREAT! : P

  31. #31
    45lb's Avatar
    45lb is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Juced_porkchop View Post
    microwaving food ruins its make up, vitamins etc. its ALOT worse than just slightly over cooking it in oven. look into it. microwaved food is pretty bad/useless.. i avoid it at all costs now.
    I have researched this topic, a lot, and have ready plenty of articles about how Microwaves being bad for your food is a myth. If I'm misled in this, I have no problem being wrong, and I would of-course stop using the microwave, but in my lifestyle, I find it very convenient at certain times in the day and don't want to stop using it unless it really DOES make a difference.

    Robert Brackett, Ph.D., director of the National Center for Food Safety and Technology at the Illinois Institute of Technology says the types of changes that occur in microwaved food as it cooks are “from heat generated inside the food, not the microwaves themselves." "Microwave cooking is really no different from any other cooking method that applies heat to food." That said, microwaving in some plastics may leach compounds into your food, so take care to use only microwave-safe containers.

    As far as microwaves zapping nutrients, Carol Byrd-Bredbenner, Ph.D., R.D., professor of nutrition at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey says that whether you’re using a microwave, a charcoal grill or a solar-heated stove, “it’s the heat and the amount of time you’re cooking that affect nutrient losses, not the cooking method.”

  32. #32
    Juced_porkchop's Avatar
    Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by 45lb View Post
    I have researched this topic, a lot, and have ready plenty of articles about how Microwaves being bad for your food is a myth. If I'm misled in this, I have no problem being wrong, and I would of-course stop using the microwave, but in my lifestyle, I find it very convenient at certain times in the day and don't want to stop using it unless it really DOES make a difference.

    Robert Brackett, Ph.D., director of the National Center for Food Safety and Technology at the Illinois Institute of Technology says the types of changes that occur in microwaved food as it cooks are “from heat generated inside the food, not the microwaves themselves." "Microwave cooking is really no different from any other cooking method that applies heat to food." That said, microwaving in some plastics may leach compounds into your food, so take care to use only microwave-safe containers.

    As far as microwaves zapping nutrients, Carol Byrd-Bredbenner, Ph.D., R.D., professor of nutrition at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey says that whether you’re using a microwave, a charcoal grill or a solar-heated stove, “it’s the heat and the amount of time you’re cooking that affect nutrient losses, not the cooking method.”
    yes its from "inside the food" the microwaves speed up the water molecules causing heat......
    it may not be "bad" for you, but its not giving you the most out of your food. and im still on the fence on the "bad for you" part myself as well. but scrambling molecules to cause heat and "cook" ?
    ill stick to oven. to heat up food (still not best option) i still do out of ... well its easy, but i make a big effort to use mostly heat sources and not over cook things.

    ofcourse the amount of heat will play a role in the degradation of the food, but common sense (i would think) would lead you to think scrambling molecules to create heat from within vs. applying heat from esternal source to be worse, and im sure its not just the heat aspect that ruins food when microwaved IMO.
    i also seen info on both arguments.. and microscopic photos. ill stick to avoiding microwaves personally.

  33. #33
    Juced_porkchop's Avatar
    Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by 45lb View Post
    director of the National Center for Food Safety and Technology
    im sure he has to be pro microwave, could you imagine if he said he doesnt think its safe? back lash and the fact they have been already deemed safe?
    its like the place selling something saying its safe. i rather have peoples research that have NO relation to bias or companies that may have other priorities. if you know what i mean.
    even when the FDA says something is safe that means jack to me untill i do my own research. soomany times its found out not to be the case and not safe when it comes to drugs that where approved and once seen as safe.
    i dont worry TOO much on the microwave part when used occasionally, but i sure as hell wouldent cook my food in it.

  34. #34
    45lb's Avatar
    45lb is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Juced_porkchop View Post
    im sure he has to be pro microwave, could you imagine if he said he doesnt think its safe? back lash and the fact they have been already deemed safe? its like the place selling something saying its safe. i rather have peoples research that have NO relation to bias or companies that may have other priorities. if you know what i mean. even when the FDA says something is safe that means jack to me untill i do my own research. soomany times its found out not to be the case and not safe when it comes to drugs that where approved and once seen as safe. i dont worry TOO much on the microwave part when used occasionally, but i sure as hell wouldent cook my food in it.
    Ok, thanks for the great replies!

  35. #35
    THE HOGG is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Learn1st View Post
    Mashed with cinnamon and coconut oil. Sometimes I will add some fresh crushed pineapple. <<<your girlfriend will thank you
    I see what you did there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •