Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DrewZ
  • 1 Post By noseeme

Thread: Noseeme nutrition help

noseeme is offline New Member

Noseeme nutrition help

looking for any direction in regard to reduced BF, while still being able to lift heavy. I am currently on a 4 day a week lower/upper push pull. On my off days I try to stay active with my son (4), various/random HIIT, Circuits, really whatever my body tells me it can handle that day.

As for my diet - I am currently consuming the following macros:

Training (lift) days:
    3066 total caloric intake
    Protein - 242 g
    Carb - 381 g (rarely make that one)
    Fat - 64g

Non-Training Days
    2123 total caloric intake
    Protein - 225g
    Carbs - 162g
    Fat - 64g

I'm single about 60% of the time, the rest I have my son so I am in failry good control of my intake. I consider my diet to be fairly clean. I cook 80% of my meals, will meal prep for the following day ( in most cases). Here's a snap shot of my day:

wake 430-5 am
    Pre WO
    Train (1-2 hours)
    Post wo meal - english muffin or oatmeal with natty PB, honey, maybe greek yogurt - whey shake
    breakfast - Eggs, turkey sausage, Oatmeal with greek yogurt
    Lunch (11 amish) Usually roasted chicken/turkey, Sweet potatoes, quinoa, beans, brocolli - this is usually part of my dinner from the night before. I try to get my large carb and fat intake here.
    After noon snack - protein shake, fruit, nuts, PB, - usually just enought to get me by
    Dinner - Similar too lunch, Chicken/Turkey/Lean Steak, veggies, veggies, veggies.
    Pre Sleep - Casein/other protein snack

sounds pretty bland when I type it out, it varies a bit. but can't think of the whole range off the top of my head.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    welcome!

what are your stats?

Like a dope, forgot the important parts...

35 y/o male
    235 lbs
    5 ft 11
    30% BF (estimated from home scale)

the reason you are not loosing weight is because you are probably eating too much on your lifting days.

at 235 lbs and give or take 30% BF, I have your maintenance cals around 2500

i would suggest using that as your guide. maybe eat at that for two weeks on your lifting days and see where that takes you. just make that little adjustment (minus 500 on your lifting day) and see how your body responds

Would that drop be specific to just carbs, or redistribute across all macros?

Quote Originally Posted by noseeme View Post
    Would that drop be specific to just carbs, or redistribute across all macros?
    i would keep your protein what it is and drop some carbs but keep fats around 50

tice1212 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post

i would keep your protein what it is and drop some carbs but keep fats around 50
    I agree with this. Keep ur calories in the low range week in week out. 30% bf is high so losing weight shouldn't be to hard. Also remember if ur "cutting" u can not be think about "building". What is ur cardio at?

Quote Originally Posted by tice1212 View Post
    I agree with this. Keep ur calories in the low range week in week out. 30% bf is high so losing weight shouldn't be to hard. Also remember if ur "cutting" u can not be think about "building". What is ur cardio at?
    Understood on the cutting and building. I just want to be sure that I am not just losing weight, that I am losing the fat. also I prefer lifting over cardio, its what keeps me engaged overall and I don't want that to suffer drastically.

As to where is my cardio; excellent question. I will let you know when I find it, lol. Seriously though, I am working to ramp that up. With the divorce closing out(read normalized custody patterns), job settling in - I will be adding it into my rest days at first then work towards a second session after lifting.

So based on the suggestions here is where I calculate it out to for lifting days:

Total intake: 2500
    P= 242 g (968 cal)
    Carb = 263g (1082)
    Fat = 50g ((450)

I arrived here by removing the 500 cals suggested, backed into total cals keeping protein at 242 and lowering fat to 50, leaving me with the Carb number - does this look accurate?

So based on the suggestions here is where I calculate it out to for lifting days:

P= 242 g (968 cal)
    Carb = 263g (1082)
    Fat = 50g ((450)

I arrived here by removing the 500 cals suggested, backed into total cals keeping protein at 242 and lowering fat to 50, leaving me with the Carb number - does this look accurate?
    that looks good, try that for about 2-3 weeks and see how your body responds.

Sweet, I'll make that adjustment starting today.

Stats as of this morning:
    231 lbs
    30% bf

Will provide updates over the next few weeks, thanks!

keeping a log/thread helps keep you accountable

Post holiday check-in

229 lbs
    30% bf

Over the last few weeks I wasn't as strict with the intake as it was the holidays, just came off a 3 day trip with the ladyfriend as well. so pretty pleased with that number at the moment. Buckling back down this week.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    I'm a little late to the conversation, but I would like to interject that you do not want to drop workout intensity when cutting. Lifting IS cardio!

Your cals should do you well, but if you lose stamina or intensity in your lifts, then do not be afraid to increase those cals a bit to compensate. Do not lose your muscle during a cut...that should be your priority! Reducing body fat will come with strict dieting and including cardio.

I know you posted a diet in your initial post, but post it up again with reduced cals and your food choices. Tweaks might help you improve in your lifts and keep energy high for productive training sessions.

Thanks Nova - never any intention in dropping or reducing lifts AT ALL. I'll put together some progressions and diet structure in the next couple of days. Even with the reduced intake I have been making steady progress on the strength/intensity front.

I have also been using the Fit Men Cook app for more variety in recipes - I would highly recommend it so that you aren't always choking down the same 5 bland ass meals!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    keeping a log/thread helps keep you accountable
    This x2.

Good luck to you noseeme!

SM
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

yep, plan is to turn this thread into the log

when I have time to sit down and transfer my w/o logs from paper to digital I'll post them up. diet log might just be screenshots of lose it app, cleaner than retyping it all out.

To answer nova's question on the altered numbers:

P= 242 g (968 cal)
    Carb = 263g (1082)
    Fat = 50g (450)

Non-Training Days
    2066 total caloric intake
    Protein - 242g (968)
    Carbs - 162g (648)
    Fat - 50g (450)

Protein Focusing on Lean sources (turkey, Chicken, supp as necessary)
    Carbs - Sweet potatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brown Rice, Quinoa, etc
    Fats - as they come - usually oils/butter in food prep, Avacado, PB, etc

One other question - should I be basing my intake based off lean mass BMR? I see that in other threads and curious if I am in the right range of intake needs.

To answer nova's question on the altered numbers:

P= 242 g (968 cal)
    Carb = 263g (1082)
    Fat = 50g (450)

Non-Training Days
    2066 total caloric intake
    Protein - 242g (968)
    Carbs - 162g (648)
    Fat - 50g (450)

Protein Focusing on Lean sources (turkey, Chicken, supp as necessary)
    Carbs - Sweet potatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brown Rice, Quinoa, etc
    Fats - as they come - usually oils/butter in food prep, Avacado, PB, etc
    Are you doing cardio on off days? If so, I think your calories may be a tad low. I'd hate for you to lose your mass, because you definitely have some!

You are also reducing your carbs, on off days I assume, but why? It isn't really carb cycling and it may hurt your gains in lifting. If it is working, then please keep doing it, I do not want to derail any progress you have made, but I would maybe just pick a specific calorie and carbohydrate amount just below your maintenance calories and hit it every single day. You will lose fat. If that stalls, then you can add more cardio or reduce cals/carbs a bit and tinker with macros.

I hope this helps.

And I meant to also add that your food choices are superb!

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Are you doing cardio on off days? If so, I think your calories may be a tad low. I'd hate for you to lose your mass, because you definitely have some!

You are also reducing your carbs, on off days I assume, but why? It isn't really carb cycling and it may hurt your gains in lifting. If it is working, then please keep doing it, I do not want to derail any progress you have made, but I would maybe just pick a specific calorie and carbohydrate amount just below your maintenance calories and hit it every single day. You will lose fat. If that stalls, then you can add more cardio or reduce cals/carbs a bit and tinker with macros.

I hope this helps.
    Certainly does. Should keep to the 'training days' intake then, as that is pretty well below maintenance anyway. I would rather it be consistent, cause that is much easier to manage. progress has been, well, slow but then again the holidays in the middle of all of this didn't help.

I'll stick to the training day numbers, will be rolling in more cardio. As of now that is limited due to time, however next week I get access to the company gym, which will allow for a second workout most days.

And thanks on the choices!

Like I said, that should work really well for you. Just monitor your look and dont focus much on numbers. Keeping the workout intensity high and eating clean and near TDEE should help you lean out and showcase your LBM.

If things change or that isn't the case, please report back.

transitioning from loseit to MFP, really like loseit but they don't allow you to set the same type of goals as MFP in the free version. Plus I need a few more posts before I can actually post an image or hyperlink :P

Log from Thursday Jan 7....been a hectic week coming off a weekend trip, didn't have time to prep sunday - hence the serious mass to fill in the carbs. Will get on real food over the weekend, I only use that as a filler when I am short anyways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 9.24.23 AM.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	161165

working on updating workout logs for the last several weeks, will post summary of that over the weekend.
    Last edited by noseeme; 01-08-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Friday Log.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 6.12.38 PM.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	161187

And Saturday...

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 6.20.55 PM.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	161188

haven't fallen off....Had to rush GF to hospital Monday after finding her blacked out on the floor. no workouts sinc emonday morning and eating has been more out of convenience/availability but still hitting macros decently. Not the kind of carbs I want to eat - but sometimes you gotta get what you can.

will update with logs when I get a break from the crazy (hopefully in the next 24-36 hours)

This last week has been hell! due to the GF"s hospital stay (3 nights total) I have been off my rhythm with working out, actually came at a decent time as it was a de-load week in my program, not suppossed to be a full break but that is what ended up happening.

Strange thing is, that while I was able to hit my macros for the most part and not working out - I dropped a couple of lbs.

Current stats:
    228 lbs
    BF holding steady at 30% (again impedence, but using as a bench mark).

As of Sunday I was able to get back in the gym. My indoor cycling trainer arrived so I have been able to add additional cardio since then.

I have some questions on my work out program, should I post that up here or over in the other forum?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    You can post it here as it runs hand in hand with your diet.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

What BiB said, post it here

Bike trainers are nice, I have one and use it from time to time. They are great for HIT type workouts!

And remember, consistency is the magic pill!

Here ya go...

I've been following the attached routine for about 6 weeks, I am currently in a second phase that just started this week.

I am hoping you guys could provide some insight on a couple of things:

1. Progression over 6 weeks - I've got week one and week 6 posted. Looking to see where I can push harder/grow more. Keep in mind that I am running a deficit on my diet - see NoSeeMe nutrition help in diet forum.

2. My goals are to first lose BF, Second (once I hit that BF Goal) to work towards adding size and strength. So my question is, would this kind of routine be what I should be following? If no - how should I tweak it or what direction should I head.

I work out at home, generally alone, but have a full squat rack with over head and floor cable, bench with leg ext/curls, plenty of plates and DB's.

Really I just want to be sure I am heading in the right direction. I will say that over the last 6 weeks I have experienced a pretty decent shift in my body, broader shoulders, better definition, lost 2-3 inches in the waist so I am progressing, but would rather have outside input to insure that I continue to progress.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 9.49.14 AM.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	161350

What BiB said, post it here

Bike trainers are nice, I have one and use it from time to time. They are great for HIT type workouts!

And remember, consistency is the magic pill!
    I get the consistency, fell like with exception of last week I have been.

the trainer is love hate for me. I love the fact that I am not outside on the bike in 18 degree temps. But HATE not actually moving, I'd try rollers but I don't wanna die in my living room

I get the consistency, fell like with exception of last week I have been.

the trainer is love hate for me. I love the fact that I am not outside on the bike in 18 degree temps. But HATE not actually moving, I'd try rollers but I don't wanna die in my living room
    yeah i hear ya in regards to not moving, gets me as well!

i sometimes will take a 5-10 minute break and do something else then get back at it.

have you reassessed your TDEE since you lost a few pounds?

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    For me - someone who was close to 50% BF at one time,
    a little bit of moderate cardio AFTER training goes a long way in speeding up fat loss and aids in recovery.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy or HIIT cardio.
    20 minutes of keeping your heart rate between 145-160 will do it -- my favorite is stairmill.
    RaginCajun likes this.

have you reassessed your TDEE since you lost a few pounds?
    Nope, figured 2 lbs wouldn't adjust much. you think its necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ View Post
    For me - someone who was close to 50% BF at one time,
    a little bit of moderate cardio AFTER training goes a long way in speeding up fat loss and aids in recovery.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy or HIIT cardio.
    20 minutes of keeping your heart rate between 145-160 will do it -- my favorite is stairmill.
    Thanks! I'll try shuffling it around, been going the other way but am certainly open to suggestions, especially if that is actually you in your AVi from ~50%!
    DrewZ likes this.

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    Thanks! I'll try shuffling it around, been going the other way but am certainly open to suggestions, especially if that is actually you in your AVi from ~50%!
    Thank you, yup thats me and 100% natural me before joining the dark side

Toddlers should be used for biological warfare. Been sick the last 7 days, bleh. Hopt to get back to working out tomorrow and putting some extra time in over the weekend.

Thread Information