Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MIKE_XXL

Thread: Time to trim the fat!

DaKine808 is offline New Member

Time to trim the fat!

What's going on everyone. getting back into the gym after a long hiatus due to a series of non-gym related injuries. Would like your input on my current diet. I have no pre set amount of weight I'm trying to lose. I just want to get rid of excess body fat. Current Stats

6', 198LBS, Probably around 16-18 percent BF, 31 y/o, train 4x a week interval/HIIT style, Steady state cardio 5x a week for 45m

Curent diet:

meal 1 -
    1 cup of oats
    10 egg white
    handfull spinach
    handful (less than 10) black berries

Workout

snack
    6oz chicken breast
    handfull spinach

meal 2
    6oz chicken breast
    2 handfulls spinach
    2 cups quinoa/brown rice mix

snack
    6oz chick breast
    handfull spinach

meal 3
    (stir fry)
    6oz chick breast
    1 1/2 cup quinoa/brown rice mix
    chopped onion
    1 cup broccoli
    1 cup chopped mushroom

snack
    Protein shake
    2 tablespoon almond butter

I calculated it out to 2280 calories
    Protein - 269g
    Carb - 195
    Fat - 48g

Given my stats, training, and cardio routine do you think this diet is enough to burn fat without sacrificing too much muscle? I know muscle loss will happen but would like to maintain as much lean muscle tissue as possible. What are your thoughts? any input would be great.

Edit:
    A quick browse through my thread history and I see that I asked the same exact question back in 2013! And my stats have went full circle and I'm back at square one. Thanks to Austinite I was able to get in really great shape. I'm going to follow the same advice but keep a more active log this time around. weekly updates with pics and workout/cardio logs.
    Last edited by DaKine808; 02-15-2016 at 01:51 AM.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome! Looks pretty good to me but the food gurus will help you fine tune.

SM
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    i like to skip carbs in breakfast, even with training adding coconut oil into it instead of carbs will provide fuel for workout with MCT fats. Also i like a little bit of fat in each meal, 5-7.5gm to slow down the digestion and regulate blood sugars better...other then that it looks pretty good.

DaKine808 is offline New Member
    I have 2 tablespoon of almond butter with my last snack. What do you think about replacing the oats in my breakfast with 1 tablespoon of almond butter, and eating the oats post workout with the chicken breast, and the other tablespoon of almond butter? Also, if i try the coconut oil route I assume I will just be cooking the egg whites in it correct?

As for cardio I do 40m at night on training days, and 40m fasted on non-training days (3 days). Should I add 20-30m post workout, or is the absence of carbs in the morn providing enough fat burning. Any and all input is appreciated.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I prefer coconut oil as it is rich in MCT, I am not sure if you can cook in it, google it. I eat it from table spoon. its a solid at room temperature just FYI. Yes move oats to post work out. i prefer HIIT for cardio especially first thing in the morning. Maybe do HIIT in morning and steady state after training.

Thread Information