GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    The struggle is real....Following rapid weight loss, biggest loser contestants bodies proportionate response to maintain homeostasis through metabolic adaptation.

"In conclusion, we found that "The Biggest Loser" participants regained a substantial amount of their lost weight in the 6 years since the competition but overall were quite successful at long-term weight loss compared with other lifestyle interventions. Despite substantial weight regain, a large persistent metabolic adaptation was detected. Contrary to expectations, the degree of metabolic adaptation at the end of the competition was not associated with weight regain, but those with greater long-term weight loss also had greater ongoing metabolic slowing. Therefore, long-term weight loss requires vigilant combat against persistent metabolic adaptation that acts to proportionally counter ongoing efforts to reduce body weight."

Full article link. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhan...1002/oby.21538
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 05-02-2016 at 09:48 PM.

ChuckStarchaser is offline New Member
    Good to see confirmation, fast weight loss always leads to adaptation and regain. I helped a lot of people (two dozen or so, friends and acquaintances) lose a lot of body fat simply by introducing them to the ketogenic diet, passing them links and whatnot. None of them were bodybuilders except one, though; and he lost almost all his body fat (went from 230 to 130 pounds in two years), --but only began to gain muscle after he reintroduced carbs. But yeah, I say to people, "1 pound per week is the speed of light; don't lose more than that". None of my ketogenic friends has regained ANY of their lost fats. Now it's got to be my turn, though...

Thread Information