Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roberto99

Thread: Bulking question

Roberto99 is offline New Member

Bulking question

Hey peeps,

I have been looking to add size for the past 6 weeks or so. Eating 4,200 cals a day. Macros 360 carb 120 fat 360 protein. I've barely budged on the scale, 177 lbs to 179 fluctuation.
    I'm 44, work out 4-6 times a week and have a very active job. I recently upped my carbs to 420 and cut protein to 300. Will this be a better way of bulking? Looking for ideas.....

Thanks

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That's a decent amount of cals.

Are u on cycle? I'm guessing no?

Quote Originally Posted by 73rr View Post
    That's a decent amount of cals.

Are u on cycle? I'm guessing no?
    No not on cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto99 View Post
    No not on cycle.
    My suggestion would be give it some more time with your diet at 4200 cals like u have been. Gaining lean weight isn't easy and u said u gained 2 pounds.

Size takes time. I don't know how intense your work out is but maybe make your week into a 4 gym days. Recover in the 3 off days and then hit it hard again for 4 days.

Thanks for the reply. Workouts go to failure every set, with at least one drop set, sometimes a couple more. Do you think adding the carbs and dropping the protein will help? Just don't want to give up any muscle.
    Thanks

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Hey Roberto.

How about some stats?

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    Hey Roberto.

How about some stats?
    Age 44, 179 lbs, 5'11, about 10% bf I'm guessing, abs slight defined

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    For what its worth, I'm about your age, currently at 3600cal for my endomorphic self... not on a cycle either. I'm 40% protein, 30/30 carbs and fat. I get pudgy easily, and I hate cardio.

These are for my body, but... I've experimented with various percentage splits over the years, upping carbs being one of them, several times. I seem to gain weight easily but at my best nowadays, I seem to always add about a 50/50 mix of muscle to fat (ie: If I'm up a pound, its 1/2 fat and 1/2 muscle) assuming of course that fat calipers and a tape measure are accurate to some degree.

My point being that I'd kill to add 2 pounds of LBM in 6 weeks... that would be 8 1/2 pounds a YEAR(ish). At 44 and not being on a cycle, I'd say you're getting it right already.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    For what its worth, I'm about your age, currently at 3600cal for my endomorphic self... not on a cycle either. I'm 40% protein, 30/30 carbs and fat. I get pudgy easily, and I hate cardio.

These are for my body, but... I've experimented with various percentage splits over the years, upping carbs being one of them, several times. I seem to gain weight easily but at my best nowadays, I seem to always add about a 50/50 mix of muscle to fat (ie: If I'm up a pound, its 1/2 fat and 1/2 muscle) assuming of course that fat calipers and a tape measure are accurate to some degree.

(My point being that I'd kill to add 2 pounds of LBM in 6 weeks... that would be 8 1/2 pounds a YEAR(ish). At 44 and not being on a cycle, I'd say you're getting it right already.)

The part in ( ) is pritty spot on to me! ^^^^His last paragraph. Keep doing what you have been and give it some more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post

My point being that I'd kill to add 2 pounds of LBM in 6 weeks... that would be 8 1/2 pounds a YEAR(ish). At 44 and not being on a cycle, I'd say you're getting it right already.
    Thanks for the reply Charlie,
    Your response totally makes sense. I know growing is a patient mans game. I have had good results in the past couple years, but I feel like I'm plateauing a bit so I guess I'm getting a little frustrated. Your insight makes me take a step back and realize that I'm doing well and just got to keep going. I'm an ectomorph so growing is always been a challenge.
    Thanks again

Thanks 73rr, I have to be more patient and realize I'm doing well. Thanks for making me realize this. I think I will keep upping cals as I grow, to ensure I'm feeding the muscle enough.
    Thanks
    73rr likes this.

Thread Information