Thread: Methyl folate

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member

Methyl folate

My wife was prescribed a very expensive form of methyl folate called Deplin. Our insurance won't cover it as they see it as an over the counter supplement.

Was wondering if someone could recommend a methyl folate supplement.

I have come across one that is sublingual. Would being sublingual of any benefit?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS RR
    My wife was prescribed a very expensive form of methyl folate called Deplin. Our insurance won't cover it as they see it as an over the counter supplement. Was wondering if someone could recommend a methyl folate supplement. I have come across one that is sublingual. Would being sublingual of any benefit?
    Why does he want her on it?
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS RR View Post
    My wife was prescribed a very expensive form of methyl folate called Deplin. Our insurance won't cover it as they see it as an over the counter supplement.

Was wondering if someone could recommend a methyl folate supplement.

I have come across one that is sublingual. Would being sublingual of any benefit?

Try Quatrefolic from online sellers. Equally as bioactive and way cheaper than prescription.

Read the label carefully. Stay away from D- or R(6) forms.

Was your wife diagnosed with MTHFR mutation? Are you trying to conceive?
    Last edited by hammerheart; 05-25-2016 at 03:49 AM.

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    Her body has trouble breaking down folic acid. Even though she supplements she come out deficient. This in turn can lead to a host of problems. With her anxiety.

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The MTHFR gene mutation mentioned above is responsible for this. It's common in the Mediterranean basin (where I'm from).

Folic acid is a synthetic analogue of Folate found in food. It is both water soluble and thermolabile. Than means availability is best from fresh foods. Just like the muscle guys here, revising her diet could help a lot! Foods rich in phospholipids, choline and betaine can also help with methylation, as can creatine! According to a study, creatine synthesis in the body is a mayor consumer of methyl groups from adomet (a molecule deficient in those with impaired methylation).

How was the diagnosis made? Did her doc check specifically for homocysteine and MTHFR mutation? I'd strongly recommend a doc whom is really knowledgeable about methylation, as the whole matter is very complex.

Thread Information