zinghigh89 is offline Junior Member

Supplements while on Keto

Hey guys,
    Currently on keto for a cut. Going really well, down 18lbs thus far. Question is, most supplements even if they don't list calories or sugars on the label, have maltodextrin in the "other ingredients" section on the label. I wouldn't think it would be enough to kick your body out of keto, but I'd be pissed if I worked so hard
    Weekly only for a pump product or something to kick me out. What do you guys think?

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe it has ~30x the effect gram per gram on the brain compared to pure sugar, not sure if it will kick you out of ketosis but sure as hell will make diet alot harder to follow and mess with your head alot, try to avoid those alcohol sugars I would suggest

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Maltodextrin has the same calories per gram as sugar (sucrose), 4 carbs per gram.

Hmmmm tough call! Sounds like it would be best to avoid them then, simply for the fact that depending on individual it COULD cause a problem
    With keto. Thanks guys, I'll return the ones I bought to the store and swap them for no malto ones

Quote Originally Posted by zinghigh89 View Post
    Hmmmm tough call! Sounds like it would be best to avoid them then, simply for the fact that depending on individual it COULD cause a problem
    With keto. Thanks guys, I'll return the ones I bought to the store and swap them for no malto ones
    It's a good call to hold off on those supplements until after your keto.

Maltodextrin is absorbed by the body as instantly available glucose.

So even if it doesn't take you out of ketosis it's kind of counterproductive to replenish you glucose storage when your goal is to burn it off as soon as possible after a reload.

BTW congrats on weight loss so far, 18 pounds is a lot!

How long did it take you and how much more are you going to lose?

Thanks man! I started this cut June 1st. I did it as a "mock contest prep". I am going on vacation September 9th so I called that my "contest" and wanted to get peeled by then. I wanted to test myself and see what a real contest prep is like, or at least get as close as I could to creating the physio and psychological environment. I will keep this cut going for another 4 weeks and look to be about 185-187lbs at single digit

Quote Originally Posted by zinghigh89 View Post
    Thanks man! I started this cut June 1st. I did it as a "mock contest prep". I am going on vacation September 9th so I called that my "contest" and wanted to get peeled by then. I wanted to test myself and see what a real contest prep is like, or at least get as close as I could to creating the physio and psychological environment. I will keep this cut going for another 4 weeks and look to be about 185-187lbs at single digit
    Getting your bf down to a single digit is good to do one a year.

It gives you a really good look at what you've gained over the course of the year, helps keep you from getting too fat as you age and it puts your body in a highly anabolic state when you bulk back up.

Enjoy turning heads on your vacation and the awesome fast gains when you put weight back on.
    Last edited by numbere; 08-10-2016 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's definitely been a positive experience thus far, even with the hunger pangs! I found my body responded quite well to keto, low calories/carbs, fasted protocols, and test only as a muscle maintainer. Coach cutting my calories a bit more for this home stretch which could suck, as my
    Energy to lift is beginning to dip a little but I'll push thru.

Thread Information