RAMMEL is offline Junior Member

Carbohydrate Confusion

I am around 170lbs and trying to gain Lean Mass at the moment.

I do cardio on a morning 3-4 times a week and weights on a evening (6.00pm) 3-4 times a week.

After both my cardio & weights workouts I make up a shake which contains 63g dextrose, 40g Whey Protein and 70g Oatmeal. I also mix 5g of plain Creatine into this shake. This works out at a nutritional content of:
    635 kcals,
    41g Protein,
    101.2g Carbs (41.2g Complex/60g Simple)
    8g Fat

Does this seem ok to consume after both cardio & weights sessions, both of which might be in one day (cardio am/weights pm)???
    I'm assuming that its ok to consume this amount of simple carbs as it is straight after a workout when they are readily used to replace glycogen.

On mornings/evenings when I do not train I drop the dextrose and replace the lost carbs with shitloads of extra oatmeal. Am I correct in doing this or should I still consume some simple carbs to aid in the absorbtion of the creatine???

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Um, when you do cardio and train, drop the oatmeal form those shakes. It's slowing the absorption of the dextrose and protein. 30 mintutes to an hour after your shake you want a good solid meal of high protein and carbs and no fat. As for non-training days again skip the oatmeal and stick with the creatine, dextrose mix.

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    ive been mixing oatmeal with my post workout shake, you are saying this is bad so where do i get my carbohydrates from then? also, what is dextrose

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Yes mixing in oatmeal (which is a complex carb and slow digesting) is bad. You need a simple carb (which is fast digesting) like dextrose, or some people use honey or gatorade. Dextrose is used in making beer. It's more or less a simple sugar and is extremely cheap. You can get some at www.bulkfoods.com for like $7 I think.

ColdSore is offline Banned
    BT hit it on the money again....but do eat complex carbs(oats or sweet potato..) in your 2nd PWO meal...go to bulkfoods.com like he said, i ordered some dextrose on sunday and got it yeasterday...it was like 11.88 shipping and all for 5 pounds of the shit...

Thread Information