Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Back In Black

Thread: I'm new to the site and would love to hear suggestions!

Danimals is offline New Member

I'm new to the site and would love to hear suggestions!

Shortcut Diet (Current but not healthy):
    Stop eating at night around 8pm at the latest.

Between 12-1pm - Protein shake (1 scoop, gold standard whey 24g)
    Pre-workout at 2:30pm - 1 scoop protein, 1 tsp bcaa, 1 heaping tsp creatine, 1/3 scoop nitraflex
    Gym 3-4:30pm 100% weight lifting
    Post workout - Protein shake (1 scoop, gold standard whey 24g)
    Usual Dinner: 1-1.5 cups of white rice w/ 6-8 oz of meat & at least 150g of veggies
    Sometimes I'll add in some completely unhealthy desert but I try to moderate it.

Prior Diet:
    1 fruit during the AM if I must (most of the time I didn't)
    1pm Lunch: Home made quesadilla - 1 whole wheat tortilla, hand full of cheese, onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and 1 medium chicken breast
    Pre-workout at 2:30pm - 1 scoop protein, 1 tsp bcaa, 1 heaping tsp creatine, 1/3 scoop nitraflex
    Gym 3-4:30pm 100% weight lifting
    Post workout - Protein shake (1 scoop, gold standard whey 24g)
    Dinner: in relation to macros, it's about the same as above.

I didn't include any fats as when I cook, I use plenty of grass-fed butter, coconut oil or olive oil.

Supplements: best fish oil money can buy, rainbow multi vitamins, calcium, boron and magnesium.

I have been slacking on the supplements lately but I'm going to jump back on it.

Hey guys,

I'm new to AS and to be honest, I know nothing about it. (But I have about 20 tabs open about different AS so that makes me a pro right?

I'm 5'10", just over 160, from Phx, AZ and would guess I'm at about 15-20% body fat.

I used to be crazy about the gym back in college so I'm not new to body building.

Work took over and I lost all my muscles and most of my strength. Weighed almost 190 lbs at one point in time.

I did the Warrior Diet a while back, lost a ton of weight, stopped, went back up to 180, and then tried my own version of intermittent fasting and working out 4-5 times a week.

I'm been putting a ton of effort into getting stronger and cutting at the same time. My goal is to be under 10% body fat at around 170lbs.

I don't have a problem or have any desire to give up my goal but it's getting a lot harder to get stronger/bigger and I'm not seeing much results with fat loss even though I'm in a deficit (300+ calories).

I'll be honest. I've been looking into AS as a quick way to get to where I want to be and taper off to just maintain. I've been putting sooo much time into getting to where I want to be and frankly, I'd like to put my efforts into other, more important, things in my life but I don't want to give up what I've worked for.

If I can reach my goal of 8-10% body fat at 170 lbs, I'd only have to go to the gym 2-3 times a week and just maintain. I plan on traveling a lot more soon and I know how difficult it is to travel and try and make gains/get cut at the same time so i want to quickly get there before I leave.

One thing I want to mention is I've read a lot of things about diets that are low in fats and/or carbs and my concern is it will lower my testosterone level. I don't think naturally I have a lot of testosterone. Rather average or even slightly below.

I'd love to hear suggestions as I know I'm probably not doing it right. Just trying to find a short cut to fat loss quick.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Didn't read it all I stopped when I seen that you take one scoop of whey post workout. I take and it's optimal to take around 40 grams so your body can get its max amount of protein absorbed whichnisnaroundn30 grams so I'm told. So you can lose that extra 10 grams digesting and get your 30 grams still. There is a 30 minute window post workout roughly where your body needs that nutrition to help start recovery. And in that 30 minutes i take around 40 grams or 2 scoops of whey isolate. A bag of haRibo gummy bears for the insulin spike of dextrose.
    Last edited by Marsoc; 09-18-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    It's a terrible diet plan.

What exactly are your short term goals, cut or bulk? Not both, pick one.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Didn't read it all I stopped when I seen that you take one scoop of whey post workout. I take and it's optimal to take around 40 grams so your body can get its max amount of protein absorbed whichnisnaroundn30 grams. So you can lose that extra 10 grams digesting and get your 30 grams still. There is a 30 minute window post workout roughly where your body needs that nutrition to help start recovery. And in that 30 minutes i take around 40 grams or 2 scoops of whey isolate. A bag of haRibo gummy bears for the insulin spike of dextrose.
    Buddy, seriously, where do you get you can only absorb 30g protein at a time? A pre workout meal is at least just as important as a post workout meal and a bag of haricots to send your insulin sky high?

Too many people place too much emphasis on this 'post workout anabolic window' and not enough emphasis on the rest of the diet. No one meal is more important than the other.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Buddy, seriously, where do you get you can only absorb 30g protein at a time? A pre workout meal is at least just as important as a post workout meal and a bag of haricots to send your insulin sky high?

Too many people place too much emphasis on this 'post workout anabolic window' and not enough emphasis on the rest of the diet. No one meal is more important than the other.
    I've always read to smash 75-85 percent of your carbohydrates into the post and pre workouts and the rest in the morning..your veiw is equal distribution all the time?bulking and cutting?iam not arguing black just trying to understand your views..iam cutting right now and I wanna do what's best for ME and iam trying different diets and macro ratios and iam interested in anyone's educated and experienced opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by KINGKONG View Post
    I've always read to smash 75-85 percent of your carbohydrates into the post and pre workouts and the rest in the morning..your veiw is equal distribution all the time?bulking and cutting?iam not arguing black just trying to understand your views..iam cutting right now and I wanna do what's best for ME and iam trying different diets and macro ratios and iam interested in anyone's educated and experienced opinion..
    While I say that 75-85 I've never practiced this although I do spike my insulin after a wo and I do try to get a good portion of complex carbs and protein pre workout..I eat a full mean about a hour after PWO shake and the rest of the day try to keep my meals the same with the exception of maybe the last meal of the day were sometimes I have a few less carbs more fiborous veggies and a good chunk 50-60 grams protein

Quote Originally Posted by KINGKONG View Post
    Let's say you eat 400g carbs per day, that's 300-350g carbs pre and post workout?!

There is no magic number really but can you imagine how sluggish and bloated you might be? And if you train first thing what happens with the pre workout carbs? How do you eat 100g plus shortly before a workout and then 300g after?

Here's the rub with spiking insulin from my point of view. Yes, it will help shuttle nutrients into the cells, but it doesn't just shuttle protein. It will also move fats. Ok you use an isolate with minimal to no fat but what about that meal 30-60 mins later? Has your insulin dropped enough so you don't need to worry about making that meal zero fat? Or are you assuming that the levels have dropped and you are ok to eat fats. You don't know, you really don't. Plus, it's not really healthy to take that much sugar that often and have your insulin levels all over the place.

No, I don't recommend equal distribution but again, it's all relevant. I have around 100g carbs in my 9pm meal because I train in the morning and can't eat a big carb meal prior to that so I am, essentially, back loading carbs to a degree.

If you are cutting look into carb cycling, it's an amazing tool. GBrice has an amazing sticky about it.
    KINGKONG and Marsoc like this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Let's say you eat 400g carbs per day, that's 300-350g carbs pre and post workout?!

There is no magic number really but can you imagine how sluggish and bloated you might be? And if you train first thing what happens with the pre workout carbs? How do you eat 100g plus shortly before a workout and then 300g after?

Here's the rub with spiking insulin from my point of view. Yes, it will help shuttle nutrients into the cells, but it doesn't just shuttle protein. It will also move fats. Ok you use an isolate with minimal to no fat but what about that meal 30-60 mins later? Has your insulin dropped enough so you don't need to worry about making that meal zero fat? Or are you assuming that the levels have dropped and you are ok to eat fats. You don't know, you really don't. Plus, it's not really healthy to take that much sugar that often and have your insulin levels all over the place.
    No, I don't recommend equal distribution but again, it's all relevant. I have around 100g carbs in my 9pm meal because I train in the morning and can't eat a big carb meal prior to that so I am, essentially, back loading carbs to a degree.

If you are cutting look into carb cycling, it's an amazing tool. GBrice has an amazing sticky about it.
    Good points Black!ive read the carb cycling thread and a few others and I plan on utilizing it as a tool..Thanks for your response

That's what I was told so I tell don't pay attention to it. Dude at gnc told me as well as multiple other sources said that your body can only digest up to 30 grams of protein at a time. So I figured that why it's been preached by people to take that 40 grams post workout. And the reason why I don't like to have to much food pre workout is because personally I don't like working out on a full stomach. Regardless I take around 20 grams protein pre, and yes post workout I take 40 grams plus some gummy bears which are made with dextrose (fast absorbing sugar) for an insulin spike.
    Beyond that I'm not giving diet advice here, rather I'm just saying that post workout 20 grams is not sufficient...
    Well that may be the reason why I'm here. To soak up some of this vast knowledge indirectly cuz it seems that if someone asks a straight forward question they get yelled at lol
    Last edited by Marsoc; 09-18-2016 at 11:16 AM.

And I agree all meals are as important but I'm talking about post workout which is in fact a little different then the rest of the day when one is not stressing their body hardcore, beyond that this is what I like to do, I retain various Intel from multiple sources if I deem them fit to retain all I have done is read about the insulin spike theory but this moment right now I guess is the moment that my Knowledge is improved with an actual response from a man with experience such as yourself. Didn't think about the fat traveling as well but isn't fat anabolic so won't that be good for bulking..and would that actually lead To retaining fat on your body even if someone is keeping a lean diet . besides that no one is saying fuk the rest of the meals all day. I was just talking about 20 grams protein post workout not being enough
    Last edited by Marsoc; 09-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Thread Information