Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: Keto Diet

BeeStung is offline Associate Member

Keto Diet

So roughly 3 to 3 1/2 weeks ago my girl and I started the Keto diet. I must say that the first 2 or 3 days really F*$king SUCKED! My arm workout was flat and I had no pump. With the research that I done I learned that if you cut your carbs below 15g a day your body will get into Ketosis sooner. So the last few days I've been under 15g and I'm feeling good. Good energy, good weight loss, decent strength. I had 2 days a week where I would get my carbs up but never more then 50g for the day. My only concern is that the body weight is falling fast but not the body fat. Is there a reason for that?

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Not getting enough protein, loosing muscle mass - which is something hard to avoid unless you adopt to and get in to ketosis without making it week long burden quicker. are you taking in plenty of water and mtc/coconut oil? if you did read a bit more in to this you should enter ketosis in no more than 5 days if you do cardio and hit gym daily plus have sub25g carbs. Yes it feels harsh on the bodybat first and too I know depending on personal markers it may be well off from what I describe here, but I found it is easier to get in to ketosis with less time than suffer slightly everyday for a week etc.
    In my case when I got adopted and applied depletion methods well all i needed was 2-3days after long mega carbups.

How does the eye opener realisation feels that the sugar is as addictive as cocaine?

well i think because im drinking those BANG drinks and taking 50-75mg of ephedrine a day so the energy level is super high. i have no craving for carbs. i had a slice of bread today and i felt like crap after that. my water intake could definitly be better and im hitting the gym hard roughly 5 days a week. yesterday my fitbit says i burned around 4000 calories and i know i took in only about 1600 from that 1600 the only carbs i took in was a ounce of brocolli

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont trust these kcal measure yokes, and props to you if you really feel you burn this amount of kcal in a day, I believe there useless, etc - how does it differ where you're lifting 10kg barbell at the same tempo vs 100kg barbell which of the bat turns this invention only useful for grandmas and non-gym goers.

I understand it may be approximate alright on a cardio machine and walking/running etc, but honestly I dont even look at there stats. I could spend 30 minutes in the gym and walk out of it like I havent lifted, or crawl out of it like I just outrunned my own death

I stopped loosing bodyweight once I adopted to keto, which I could not handle easily at first time first week, then next week wasnt as bad and third week was hard too but I did it, and there after its easy, its a mental state experience you have to do like an imprint for yourself, once you know ins and outs, you will go trough it like trough a fist fight that you cant escape and even before "fight starts you know who's fists bigger faster stronger, you know whos gonna win its just a matter of time" , that is my view at adaptation to ketosis if carb up has been long, its harder to get back in to.

What kind of benefits are you looking for / reaping while doing keto?

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeStung View Post
    My only concern is that the body weight is falling fast but not the body fat. Is there a reason for that?
    Carbs are comprised mostly of waster.

It's common when cutting carbs to see rabid weight loss in the first two weeks because there's less water and glycogen in your body.

OP you were going to run a proviron only cycle a while ago right? How I did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    Carbs are comprised mostly of waster.

It's common when cutting carbs to see rabid weight loss in the first two weeks because there's less water and glycogen in your body.

OP you were going to run a proviron only cycle a while ago right? How I did it go?
    i dont think i ever mention running a proviron only cycle. but does that mean that after the first few weeks the weight loss will slow down and the body fat will start dropping sooner? also whats ur views on carb cycling so it doesnt shut down my metabolism or build up a glycogen resistance.

i dont think i ever mention running a proviron only cycle. but does that mean that after the first few weeks the weight loss will slow down and the body fat will start dropping sooner? also whats ur views on carb cycling so it doesnt shut down my metabolism or build up a glycogen resistance.
    My bad I must have confused you with someone else regarding the proviron .

I can't say for certain if you weight loss will slow down. That totally depends on your diet and training. I haven't weighed myself in a long time but regularly lose one percent of bf a week on a keto diet.

You definitely need a carb reload day because your body won't stay in ketosis forever. Eventually your body will begin breaking down muscle tissue for fuel if you don't replenish your glycogen storage.

These are the best two cyclical ketogenic references that I've come across.

The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet....

The Real Ketogenic Diet Calculator

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    You definitely need a carb reload day because your body won't stay in ketosis forever. Eventually your body will begin breaking down muscle tissue for fuel if you don't replenish your glycogen storage.
    This was not my understanding, could you elaborate?

My bad I must have confused you with someone else regarding the proviron .

I can't say for certain if you weight loss will slow down. That totally depends on your diet and training. I haven't weighed myself in a long time but regularly lose one percent of bf a week on a keto diet.

These are the best two cyclical ketogenic references that I've come across.

The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet....

The Real Ketogenic Diet Calculator
    ill check those out. but like Tarmyg said; could you elaborate. how many days a week is necessary to reload and to what degree should i reload?

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    This was not my understanding, could you elaborate?
    Sorry to leave you hanging tarmyg. I totally forgot about this thread, nothing personal. Haven't visited the diet forum in a while.

When the body no loner has glycogen to use for fuel the pancreas releases glucagon. Glucagon is a catabolic hormone that the body releases to break down tissues for fuel.

Glucagon plays an important role in a keto diet is because this is what converts fat into keytones along with carnitine.

Studies have shown that hormonal stress from glycogen along with epinephrine and cortisol result in muscle catabolism.

Glucagon has also been shown to inhibit protein synthesis when body is under amino acid load.

When I said that the body won't stay in ketosis forever I meant that prolonged use of a keto diet without a weekly reload day will result in unwanted muscle tissue loss.

ill check those out. but like Tarmyg said; could you elaborate. how many days a week is necessary to reload and to what degree should i reload?
    One day a week of carbs with every meal is sufficient.

Personally I usually eat 30-50g carbs with every meal on this day but I have friends that will eat 100+g with every meal. Too may carbs give me gas so I don't like to go that crazy.

Also, I don't really count carbs on this day. Meaning I'll down a large pizza and some burritos without weighing anything.

This reload day is import. Muscle catabolism aside, a reload day gives you enough energy to complete your workouts for the beginning of the week.
    tarmyg likes this.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    When I said that the body won't stay in ketosis forever I meant that prolonged use of a keto diet without a weekly reload day will result in unwanted muscle tissue loss.
    I appreciate the response numbere. As far as I can tell, ketosis is a muscle sparing metabolic state, but I have only found some examples of this. One anecdote I found was World Ironman (AG) Champion Sami Inkinen who gained >20lbs before embarking on his world record breaking pacific row, and that while in a state of Keto. Now, I understand that each individual will have to test this for themselves to see what works but I am still not fully convinced of your argument even though, logically, I am onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I appreciate the response numbere. As far as I can tell, ketosis is a muscle sparing metabolic state, but I have only found some examples of this. One anecdote I found was World Ironman (AG) Champion Sami Inkinen who gained >20lbs before embarking on his world record breaking pacific row, and that while in a state of Keto. Now, I understand that each individual will have to test this for themselves to see what works but I am still not fully convinced of your argument even though, logically, I am onboard.
    I never heard on Inkinen before, he's an interesting athlete.

I couldn't imagine rowing across the Pacific with my gf for 45 days in a small boat!

The main point I was trying convey is that doing a keto, without a reload, for longer periods of time is counter productive to our goals because the body will accumulate catabolic hormones.

Imo it's naive to think catabolic hormones won't eventually target muscle tissue, even if the body prefers to burn ketones.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Im on Keto right now, and theres a lot of info missing, whats your stats ? macros and calories your on ? supps inc gear ?

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How would you decide which day to carb load on? Not to hijack thread but I work out lifting Su, Mo, Tu, and We (no option as I have joint custody of my children and cannot lift when I have them plus work), do cardio remaining days, usually Su is a both day. Trying to cut and have stalled out on keto after 9 mos.

Sorry to leave you hanging tarmyg. I totally forgot about this thread, nothing personal. Haven't visited the diet forum in a while.

When the body no loner has glycogen to use for fuel the pancreas releases glucagon. Glucagon is a catabolic hormone that the body releases to break down tissues for fuel.

Glucagon plays an important role in a keto diet is because this is what converts fat into keytones along with carnitine.

Studies have shown that hormonal stress from glycogen along with epinephrine and cortisol result in muscle catabolism.

Glucagon has also been shown to inhibit protein synthesis when body is under amino acid load.

One day a week of carbs with every meal is sufficient.

Personally I usually eat 30-50g carbs with every meal on this day but I have friends that will eat 100+g with every meal. Too may carbs give me gas so I don't like to go that crazy.

Also, I don't really count carbs on this day. Meaning I'll down a large pizza and some burritos without weighing anything.

This reload day is import. Muscle catabolism aside, a reload day gives you enough energy to complete your workouts for the beginning of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    How would you decide which day to carb load on? Not to hijack thread but I work out lifting Su, Mo, Tu, and We (no option as I have joint custody of my children and cannot lift when I have them plus work), do cardio remaining days, usually Su is a both day. Trying to cut and have stalled out on keto after 9 mos.
    There's a lot of factors on what would be the best day.

I've always reloaded on Sunday.

Like to think of it as one big cheat day and a high note on which to start the week.

From the sound of things it seems like Saturday would be the best day for you, as this will give you the energy needed for the workout sessions during the beginning of the week.

Thread Information