TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member

Cycling keto diet vs 40/40/20 clean

Mentioned in a different thread that I have been on keto diet now almost 11 mos. Plateaued and saw losses stop months ago with some continued change in appearance, however. Decided to try the CKD and though I like the concept and love the cheat day, it frikkin' washes me out like no tomorrow the day of and after carbs. I am so tired can hardly function and takes another 2-3 days to get back to keto energy.
    Question is this: since I seem to be stalled out on the keto diet (may be lax now and needing to dial in kcals more accurately) for weight loss/more efficient body fat loss, should I consider conversion to cutting type diet of 40/40/20 or?
    Or am I doing something wrong on carb cheats and can I alter to avoid fatigue?

55 y/o
    6'0, 221lb bf est 20%
    Supps: HGH 4iu/d x 1 mo, 3 to go, adding HCG
    TRT on pellets, high dose,
    H/o cycles x 2 7-8y ago (dbol , test, tren , deca , then test, tren, mast)
    Body type: endo, don't gain muscle or lose fat easily; past cycles helped with permanent changes in appearance and muscle mass but still want to improve

Workout:
    Mon chest/tris
    Tue back/bis
    Wed legs/shoulders
    Thu cardio x 30
    Fri cardio x 30
    Sat/Sun cardio x 30 with occasional off day
    (Weird schedule because I have half custody of my kiddos and can't lift on cardio days - can do cardio at home

Diet:
    Keto 2500-2700 kcals daily, 45/5/45 (grams F/P equal, not kcals, calculated to total kcals shown) with carbs being broccoli or green beans only, protein chicken, beef or pork, occasional eggs; fats butter, cream, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts;
    Snacks: cheese (9/6 F/P ratio), nuts, pb (limited to 1-2 Tbs)

Carb cheat day typically pasta, complex carbs (oats, veggies) with one junk meal (fries, pizza, sandwiches, chips, etc.) to kill cravings.

Goal is lean up to lower bf for test only cycle for slight mass/hardening gains

Lifestyle: busy as hell, work full time, kiddos, girlfriend. Make most meals in pressure cooker (protein) for the week.

Thoughts on efficiency? Think switching to clean 40/40/20 might get good response due to time on keto?

Anything different on carb cheat to avoid fatigue?

Would appreciate any overall thoughts or suggestions.
    Last edited by TRA; 10-14-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Improve accuracy of statement

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If keto was working well for u maybe u just need to recalculate your cals. Drop them down a little.

Everyone body Works different. so keto could work well for u and not others.

If it was me I would try adjusting your diet and if that doesn't work then a new diet. see how it goes. Worst case u go back to keto in a couple weeks.

TRA
    Probably a good idea. When I started the diet I wasn't lifting yet, just cardio, and that is when most weight came off. Lifting makes me ravenous so just need to gear up for sleepless nights if I drop kcals.

Quote Originally Posted by 73rr View Post
    If keto was working well for u maybe u just need to recalculate your cals. Drop them down a little.

Everyone body Works different. so keto could work well for u and not others.

If it was me I would try adjusting your diet and if that doesn't work then a new diet. see how it goes. Worst case u go back to keto in a couple weeks.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Have you tried changing your current ratios?

If you do intend to return to a more conventional approach to dieting I'd suggest you do it by slowly reincorporating carbs back into your diet.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

TRA
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Have you tried changing your current ratios?

If you do intend to return to a more conventional approach to dieting I'd suggest you do it by slowly reincorporating carbs back into your diet.
    I did increase fats a little and lower proteins to compensate and it seemed to be more effective, but to be honest, I am challenged at this point staying on the diet due to boredom with foods and hassle because diet is vastly different from girl friend and children, so double meal prep constantly.

Thread Information