Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Nephets
  • 1 Post By Nephets
  • 2 Post By Nephets

Thread: I'm losing focus of eating right. I need some help

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member

I'm losing focus of eating right. I need some help

Hi, everyone! I feel like I have a lot to say, but I'll try to keep it concise.

I'm 28 years old, on trt, and have been lifting for about 10 years. Also just started a new restaurant job that is forcing me to change my sleeping patterns which is not easy right now.

I'm always good about getting to the gym and lifting hard (I follow Dorian Yates' blood and guts, Dorian Yates' Blood & Guts 6-Week Trainer)

However, my diet is not on par at all, and there is no structure to it. For example, lately my schedule has been as such:

Get up at 9am (I work late), scoop of protein and a bowl of cereal or piece of fruit, N.O. Xplode, then off to the gym

Stop the hot-bar at grocery store after gym and try to get some lean meat and carb (yesterday they had fresh turkey and mashed potatoes)

Nap

Get up, eat peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Go to work

Order turkey sandwich from work and eat it when I get home around midnight.

Go to sleep.
    _________

Isn't that pathetic? I'd do much bettter with routine - as I'm a person of routine.

Can you guys please help me?

Thank you very much

Forgot to mention that I'm 5'6" and 160lbs. Probably around 17-20%body fat but that's a guess. If you guys want, I could try to post up a pic.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    It would seem to me that your biggest issue is meal prep more then anything else. Try cooking more in bulk and having the foods your body needs handy.
    wellshii and Marsoc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    It would seem to me that your biggest issue is meal prep more then anything else. Try cooking more in bulk and having the foods your body needs handy.
    Thanks for replying Nephets - yes you're totally right. One thing I'm going to try to do is ask my landlord if I can have a small charcoal grill on the side of our building. I think it would be easier for me to grill a ton of protein each week and just portion it out for meals. I'm a fan of grilling right now since it honestly just makes everything taste better, so I'd be more likely to stick to the plan.

What do you guys think would be the best carb sources? I suppose my goal is to gain mass while upping my cardio (Which is nonexistent right now) to keep bf down

rice and sweet potatoes are very easy to cook in bulk and transport easily. Grab yourself a bag of greens from the grocery store and your all set.
    Livinlean likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie6 View Post
    What do you guys think would be the best carb sources? I suppose my goal is to gain mass while upping my cardio (Which is nonexistent right now) to keep bf down
    my food choices don't change much from bulk to cut, just the portions and proportions.
    Livinlean and wellshii like this.

Jonbana is offline Member
    If you've been training for over ten years you should have all this down by now.... maybe commit a littler more meal prep and plan ahead for the week theres no excuse to this....if you want results you are the only person holding you back . not your job or other problems... YOU..

get up , cook food meal prep for a a couple days and EAT don't make excuses for not eating correctly specially 20%BF and training 10+ years

nothing beats hard work everything is made outside the gym

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Everyone answered this already. Meal prep!

I just wanted to add to it though. Meal prep actually gets easier the more u do it! Pick 1 day at the beginning of the week and 1 day in the middle of the week and make your food! After a month or two of this it will just be habit.

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You should definitely get on asking your landlord about that grill. Meal prep will definitely help you out. But even if you can't meal prep you should still be able to eat more. Add egg whites and oats to your breakfast and scrap that cereal. At work, have a shake then meal on your lunch break and then another shake followed by a meal when you get home. Not hard to do if you plan ahead. I know a lot of people will say eat real food but a shake is better than nothing if you're low on time.

wellshii is offline Member
    For a high protein vitamin enriched meal,start on Sunday night lets say,
    use roast.Whether rump or shoulder ,added a bunch of organic veggies(carrots,potatoes,cabbage,kale,sweet potatoes, etc etc) and slow cook for 6-7 hrs @265.
    You can vary it and buy a whole chicken ,do the same thing.
    That should last one person a good week. I use a cast Iron 5 quart dutch oven(its essentially a 5 qt pot) Grilling takes too much time IMO,unless its a propane grill and even then.
    As for breakfast, cook oats and eggs in bulk. The fridge is a neat invention.
    If your single,then brother,you got it easy. Man I wish I had a time machine : /
    Last edited by wellshii; 11-08-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
    For a high protein vitamin enriched meal,start on Sunday night lets say,
    use roast.Whether rump or shoulder ,added a bunch of organic veggies(carrots,potatoes,cabbage,kale,sweet potatoes, etc etc) and slow cook for 6-7 hrs @265.
    You can vary it and buy a whole chicken ,do the same thing.
    That should last one person a good week. I use a cast Iron 5 quart dutch oven(its essentially a 5 qt pot) Grilling takes too much time IMO,unless its a propane grill and even then.
    As for breakfast, cook oats and eggs in bulk. The fridge is a neat invention.
    If your single,then brother,you got it easy. Man I wish I had a time machine : /
    1 chicken for a week? I'm not sure how big your chickens are by u but that's not enough chicken to cover meat for a week.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree that I'm the only person holding myself back. I just need to suck it up and get back into the routine. Honestly, I've become a baby who just wants good tasting food instead of performance food. I need to change this. I like the idea of slow-cooking a ton of protein and veggies. I will try this.

Random question: When a recipe or meal prep calls for 1 cup of rice, is that cooked rice? a cup of uncooked rice, once cooked, is a shit load of rice. Does this also count for meats? 6oz of steak, is that pre or post-cooked weight?

Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree that I'm the only person holding myself back. I just need to suck it up and get back into the routine. Honestly, I've become a baby who just wants good tasting food instead of performance food. I need to change this. I like the idea of slow-cooking a ton of protein and veggies. I will try this.

Random question: When a recipe or meal prep calls for 1 cup of rice, is that cooked rice? a cup of uncooked rice, once cooked, is a shit load of rice. Does this also count for meats? 6oz of steak, is that pre or post-cooked weight?

Thank you again
    Everything is weighed uncooked

Thread Information