Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: When to add calories

Nephets is offline Senior Member

When to add calories

Ok. I've just started a lean bulk and I'm having a hard time getting the scale moving in the right direction. 2 weeks ago I thought I hit my maintenance calories as I stopped losing weight. The following week I upped my calories 200 every day. At the end of that week the scale still didn't move. So I upped the calories another 200 per day. Ran this for a week with still no upward movement. So I guess I'm wondering where to add calories in this upcoming week. Should I do another 200 every day, or should I just add 400 on my 4 training days. Any thoughts. I'm trying to put on as little fat as possible so I can bulk for 6+ months.

GAINZ4DAYZ is offline Junior Member
    Hey Nephets-

Not sure if you've already looked into it, but this is an awesome thread for a good lean bulk:
    http://forums.steroid.com/diet-nutri...%2A%2A%2A.html

Hope this helps mate!

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    You should be consuming what you believe is 300-500 calories a day over maintenance.

Then check your weight every 10-14 days and readjust is needed.

When I was obsessively compulsively counting calories I found it easier/better to count calories in a weekly total compared to a daily total.
    tarmyg likes this.

Jonbana is offline Member
    my scale changes every day / week

last night I went to bed at 214 woke up this morning at 209

last week I was 222 no im around 210 steady same calories... its water weight and sodium that play a big role as well

figure out your TDEE and add 500

In my head I'm trying not to get fat quick, which as been a problem for me in the past so I was trying smaller jumps. Any thoughts on adding calories to training days or all days.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    I found it easier/better to count calories in a weekly total compared to a daily total.
    This right here. To daily count calories is fairly pointless as it fluctuates too much (Unless you're going to some competition whereas I am sure almost everything matters). When I am cutting I do exactly this, count on a weekly basis and it works out much better with way less stress.

Jonbana is offline Member
    training days and off days , considering off days your not having a shake probably 500-800 calories you will be in a deficite on off days already... off days you need to eat in order to recover ,

my off days I cheat large for extra calories

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Eat as much as u can. Bottom line. I eat every 2-3 hours or when I can

Getting the food is isn't much of an issue. I don't even take protein shakes anymore so I can eat more food. I think I'll take the advice above and maybe weigh myself daily but take weekly average and base by increases off those numbers in stead of the volatile daily ones.

Thread Information