Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Batmanreturns
  • 1 Post By KINGKONG
  • 2 Post By Nephets

Thread: All protein in one meal

Daniel256512 is offline New Member

All protein in one meal

Hi guys

Just wanted to know if it matters when you consume your protein?
    During the last couple of months I have been consuming 500 grams chicken mince (100 grams protein) in one meal, at night.
    I'll have 2 scoops gold standard whey (50 grams) during the day and then various other protein here and there which normally equate to 180 grams total.

Does it matter, or does it need to be proportioned throughout the day to keep the muscle repair process consistent.

Thanks!

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to spread it out evenly. Others eat all their food in a 4-6hr window. Is that an ideal way to do it. I don't think so. But if it works for that individual and it keeps them consistent on their diet then I think it does more good then harm. When it comes to diet I feel consistency or the ability to stay consistent year round trumps meal timing.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can only digest so much at one time ..that depends on the individual..it's def ideal to spread it in increments every 2 to 4 hours depending on your goals and body type..

Jonbana is offline Member
    Theres not correct answer to this ,

theres lots of people who eat one meal a day and some who eat 6-10 meals a day , daily macros matter more than meal timing unless you are a competitor

there research saying 1 meal vs 3 meals vs 6 meals same macros had no difference in body composition , AKA fat lost or muscle maintain

ive done both ways 1 meal and 8 meals a day you do what works for you and what you feel better with ,

is one meal less optimal ? yes and no , one meal a day will work your body will use the protein you eat remember it takes hours to digest a meal not 2-3 hours it can take up-words of 8-10 hours depending how the meal size and contents of the meal

is eating protein through out the day better for muscle building most likely YES but will one meal a day ruin your gains no It wont but its not optimal but will work ,

everytime you eat more than 30G of protein you maximize MPS which is good for muscle building but you also need to remember keeping this high all the time isn't always good as well , layne recommends eating a meal 40+g protein every 4-5 hours is more optimal than a smaller meal every 2-3 hours , will you notice a difference most likely not ,

so if your trying to pack on much muscle as possible than yes eat every 4-5 hours 3 meals 2 snacks should be good , but one meal will work as well just wont be as optimal for MPS which could be less optimal for muscle growth but no research proves this at this time , they only compare body composition

End of the day stick to what works for you and has the least amount of stress , some people like IF with a feeding window to keep it simple and not always watching the clock when to eat you wont lose your muscle it you don't eat every 2-3 hours this is a big big myth ,
    Last edited by Jonbana; 12-21-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Batmanreturns is offline Banned
    My beliefs at this point are keeping protein between 35-75 grams max per meal because of the actual absorption rate of protein within the body. Not sure if this is accurate and honestly cannot remember the science behind this or what happens to "extra" protein lol
    KINGKONG likes this.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Agree with Jonbana. There are bodybuilders, sucessfull one, who just ate once, at nigthtime, like yourself. And other who would just laugh of this ane even never hit the gym if they did not manage to eat 6 sollid meals a day.

So what to do?

Try all approaches by yourself. Shouldnt take that long. 2-3 weeks on each approach you think migth be good. Then find out for yourself.
    We are all different.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It really blows my mind?one meal a day?so for me like 300 grams pro 300 grams carbs in one meal min and that would work?no..that's how sumo wrestlers eat if your maintaining and just getting your min maintenance calories I could see you maybe being able to maintain but I couldn't ever see under and circumstance one meal working for gaining mass for anyone or keeping your metabolism up..
    numbere likes this.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGKONG View Post
    It really blows my mind?one meal a day?so for me like 300 grams pro 300 grams carbs in one meal min and that would work?no..that's how sumo wrestlers eat if your maintaining and just getting your min maintenance calories I could see you maybe being able to maintain but I couldn't ever see under and circumstance one meal working for gaining mass for anyone or keeping your metabolism up..
    I guess the time you save eating 300g of protein and 300g of carbs with some health fats and veg in one meal will free up some time so you can try to pass that brick later in the day. Lol
    KINGKONG and Batmanreturns like this.

Thread Information