TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member

Keto and keeping gains

So I know this topic has been discussed, maybe ad nauseum, but I'm in a real quandary and would appreciate any and all input.

I had been on keto diet for majority of past year with decent results but was looking primarily for fat loss and getting back into cardio shape. I started lifting again and continued keto.

I am on TRT and GH and saw good results from the keto with leaning out, but when I started lifting and stayed on keto I paid more attention to mass (size really, not big enough to call it mass) and noticed a decrease (or perceived) in some muscle groups, even though strength stayed okay.

I am not sure if I truly lost muscle or if continue fat loss just gave that appearance.

So I started test cycle a while ago with intention of lean gains and decided to switch to clean diet based on a number of vets stating it was impossible to avoid muscle loss on keto.

I struggle a lot with 45p/40c/15f clean diet due to cravings and food prep time. Keto had none of those issues for me. Cyclic keto with a once a week carb feed simply made me tired for 3 of 7 days and after a month I felt like absolute shite whereas with keto I have a sustained energy level.

So I would like to go back on keto diet at end of this cycle to lean up but obviously want to keep any and all gains in size and strength. Can you give me your opinion on this?

If you do not think it feasible, would a carb feed every 2 wks be of any utility?

I will be doing basically the same lifting and cardio as now.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    In Dont see why you couldn't bulk on a keto diet. Are you increasing the calories on your keto diet if your weight is not going up, both on the scale and on the bar.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    There do not seem to be enough information on this specific question. Keto is, for sure, muscle sparing, but if you can build muscle in that state is not something I am sure of or can find information about. Most things are generally possible but it might not be the most efficient way of getting there. If keto makes you feel awesome I see no reason why you should not stay there. This is about living an improved life, for most of us, anyways, and not getting on the Olympia stage :-)

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Yep. The diet you can stick to is the one you should do. Whether carb cycling or keto is better is irrelivent if you can't stick to it. I'd go back on keto if that's what makes you feel better on a daily basis.

Jonbana is offline Member
    I did keto for a year I LOVE keto its tattooed on my arm ,

I did a cut with keto and a bulk ,

bulking was a waste sad to say it just did not work not mater how hard I tried tweaked or anything but this was on SKD most people will use CKD or TKD for the carbs but the way I look at it if you are going to carb up just stick to a low carb diet with refeeds here and there ,

in theory you can build muscle in keto all you need is fat and protein and surplus calories I tried for 6 months straight and got nothing out of SKD

I want to go back to keto only thing holding me back if the muscle gains ...

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    I did keto for a year I LOVE keto its tattooed on my arm ,

I did a cut with keto and a bulk ,

bulking was a waste sad to say it just did not work not mater how hard I tried tweaked or anything but this was on SKD most people will use CKD or TKD for the carbs but the way I look at it if you are going to carb up just stick to a low carb diet with refeeds here and there ,

in theory you can build muscle in keto all you need is fat and protein and surplus calories I tried for 6 months straight and got nothing out of SKD

I want to go back to keto only thing holding me back if the muscle gains ...
    Did you ever try cyclic keto? I was wondering about a once every 2 wks carb up...that would yield feeling decent 11 of 14 days on average.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Will email you, champ.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Thread Information