Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DocToxin8

Thread: Keto

Josh577 is offline Associate Member

Keto

Have a question about the keto diet. Me and my fiancé are thinking about doing the keto diet which i practically do already in my normal diet because it's very low-carb. I've been looking at some different things on YouTube about keto and it sounds like you're keeping your carbs under 20 g a day with lots of fats and proteins. My question is more than one of the diet plans people are listing that you can eat all the cheese, nuts, mayo and ranch dressing while on this diet. How is that? There is carbs in all those foods am I miissing something. I feel like I'm not understanding this diet still

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    IMO that diet isn't for people who lift weights.
    You can go low-ish carbs, but nowhere near keto for dieting IMO.
    The keto diet is for epileptics resistant to drugs, some other diseases and for the really obese. It works well for losing fat, and while you can eat a lot of healthy things on the keto diet, by just looking at what you can't eat,
    I think it isn't well suited for lifting.
    Nor do i think it's easy to keep the stomach and bowels healthy on that diet.

As long as you aim for 20g a day of carbs (but you can go higher,especially when training as you burn that glucose away) the body will enter ketosis.

Reminds me; god how stinky breath low carb'ers get. They exhale acetone after all. (One of the ketones formed is acetone, which had such a low boiling point you expel it from your body via the lungs)

But someone who's actually tried low carb themselves,
    and lifts at the same time, might have a different view.
    numbere likes this.

I see so many weightlifters claiming they use this

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh577 View Post
    I see so many weightlifters claiming they use this
    They are low carb compared to other huge body builders.

Realize contest ifbb pros are in the wok to 12k calories a day

I'm six foot eight. 300 lbs i've been at 150 grams of carbohydrates a day and I feel like I haven't lost weight in six months. I'm not going to pretend like I've been training really hard over the last five months, i've said this on here before I'm a union pipefitter that travels on the road and for the last six months i've been working six days a week 12 hours a day doing nothing but climbing up and down stairs and ladders and I'm just not losing weight at 150 g of carbs.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    There are zero reasons to do Keto for long term fat loss as it is only the initial drop that is larger than a more balanced diet. Now, there are MANY health reasons for Keto and there are several studies in the pipeline looking at everything from gut health to cancer and, personally, I can't wait for all that as this is one of my pet hobbies, keto :-)

Secondly, 150g of carbs is not close to Keto, not even low-carb. I managed to get into Keto on 50g of carbs/day and I ate super healthy carbs.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocToxin8 View Post
    IMO that diet isn't for people who lift weights.
    You can go low-ish carbs, but nowhere near keto for dieting IMO.
    The keto diet is for epileptics resistant to drugs, some other diseases and for the really obese. It works well for losing fat, and while you can eat a lot of healthy things on the keto diet, by just looking at what you can't eat,
    I think it isn't well suited for lifting.
    Nor do i think it's easy to keep the stomach and bowels healthy on that diet.

As long as you aim for 20g a day of carbs (but you can go higher,especially when training as you burn that glucose away) the body will enter ketosis.

Reminds me; god how stinky breath low carb'ers get. They exhale acetone after all. (One of the ketones formed is acetone, which had such a low boiling point you expel it from your body via the lungs)

But someone who's actually tried low carb themselves,
    and lifts at the same time, might have a different view.
    I love keto diet, pretty much my go to the last 10 years. I'm a meat eater so no bread and the likes is great for me. I have also put on some serous muscle mass doing strictly keto. In fact I had some of my best power lifting meets while strictly keto. While true you don't get no where near into ketoacidosis like diabetics can. You can still get get into a slight ketone state.

Anaerobic athletes love Ketone diets as over time their body uses Ketone bodies as an energy source. Cross fitters are a prime example.

Thread Information