Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: lose body fat and get stronger??

Johnhenson is offline Associate Member

lose body fat and get stronger??

Im sure this question has been asked a plenty of times but is it possible to lose body fat and build muscle/get stronger at the same time??

I've heard to lose fat you need to have a calorie deficit and to gain muscle u need a calorie surplus. I'm not sure how accurate that is or if it is accurate to a certain extent but my goal is to lose body fat but get stronger.

can somebody clear this up and share some knowledge on this?

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    I hope this doesn't come off as rude, I'm just curious.

You play in the NCAA correct?

Doesn't your team/University have a strength coach or someone from the Department of Kinesiology and Health with whom you can consult?

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    I hope this doesn't come off as rude, I'm just curious.

You play in the NCAA correct?

Doesn't your team/University have a strength coach or someone from the Department of Kinesiology and Health with whom you can consult?
    our team just got a whole new staff because the head coach left and took everybody with him lol. so we just have our WR coach doing strength and conditioning.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnhenson View Post
    our team just got a whole new staff because the head coach left and took everybody with him lol. so we just have our WR coach doing strength and conditioning.
    If your coach played college ball he should have enough knowledge to give you solid advice.

One of my HS coaches was a lineman for Pittsburgh and another was a back for Penn state.

They were both extremely knowledgeable when it came to strength and conditioning.

Your goal doesn't make much sense for off season if you play American football.

Your off season goal should be to become bigger, stronger, faster and smarter not smaller and stronger.
    Technically it is possible to lose fat while going muscle and getting stronger.

This is a difficult task which requires a lot of experience.

I think you'd be best served by bulking for several weeks then cutting.

Attempting to lose fat and gain muscle at this point in your journey will likely yield less than desirable results.
    RaginCajun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    If your coach played college ball he should have enough knowledge to give you solid advice.

One of my HS coaches was a lineman for Pittsburgh and another was a back for Penn state.

They were both extremely knowledgeable when it came to strength and conditioning.

Your goal doesn't make much sense for off season if you play American football.

Your off season goal should be to become bigger, stronger, faster and smarter not smaller and stronger.
    Technically it is possible to lose fat while going muscle and getting stronger.

This is a difficult task which requires a lot of experience.

I think you'd be best served by bulking for several weeks then cutting.

Attempting to lose fat and gain muscle at this point in your journey will likely yield less than desirable results.
    he's only 23 years old so I'm not too sure, i will ask him though.

Well I'm a slot receiver so id rather more speed than strength but ur right it is better to bulk up then cut. i was injured so i have some stomach fat and i don't wanna be carrying around anymore weight than i have to you know?

thank you, very good advice. ill focus on getting bigger and stronger right now.

Thread Information