Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gbrice75
  • 1 Post By RaginCajun
  • 1 Post By gbrice75

Thread: Whole-food shake - no powders

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Whole-food shake - no powders

Anybody looking to cut back/eliminate completely their use of refined (and often denatured) powders as a source of protein may find this useful.

I became disenchanted with protein powders a few years back. When you really delve into the 'fine print', most are sh!t, plain and simple. Further, they're not satiating at all (IMO), and I don't know about you but when I'm hungry I become an irritable, cranky cvnt. SO ... I needed something better. Something more substantial, not only in terms of satiation, but also quality ... whole foods will always be > processed powders. I came up with a shake that I think tastes great, is filling, has a well-balanced protein blend, and is easily adjustable to fit your macro goals. Give it a shot:

1 cup liquid (cartoned) egg whites
    1 cup 1% milkfat, low-salt cottage cheese
    1/2 cup whole oats
    3 packets Splenda/Stevia (whichever you prefer - and adjust sweetness to your liking)
    1-2 tbsp natty PB (when I want a lower-fat version, I eliminate the PB and use 2-3 tbsp PB2 powdered PB)
    1tbsp raw cacao powder
    1 medium frozen banana (cut into chunks before freezing)
    Blend and enjoy!

You can add a variety of other supplements if you wish: creatine mono, BCAA's, etc.

You're getting a 50/50 mix of fast-med. acting protein in the egg whites, without the worry of them being raw (salmonella), and a slower primarily casein source in the cottage cheese. Oats are always a staple carb source in my diets. Banana added for flavor, some quick energy (preworkout), and essentially as the 'ice cubes' to make it cold, thick and frothy. Finally, you have the sweetener and cacao powder as your flavorings. Tastes GREAT with real PB, but again if you wish to keep fat content lower, PB2 or similar is a solid option.

I drink this meal (and it is a legit meal) about 1.5 hours preworkout, and concern myself very little with PWO/recovery (I've always been a much bigger advocate for preworkout nutrition, but I digress). I still eat a substantial PWO meal pretty soon after my workout, but that's mainly because I've exhausted myself in the gym and am starving (see irritable cvnt reference).

Hope this helps. Any ?? let me know.

~GB
    RaginCajun and MuscleScience like this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Who are you?

I can clear out a whole office with liquid egg whites. It's baaaaaad!
    gbrice75 likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Anybody looking to cut back/eliminate completely their use of refined (and often denatured) powders as a source of protein may find this useful.

I became disenchanted with protein powders a few years back. When you really delve into the 'fine print', most are sh!t, plain and simple. Further, they're not satiating at all (IMO), and I don't know about you but when I'm hungry I become an irritable, cranky cvnt. SO ... I needed something better. Something more substantial, not only in terms of satiation, but also quality ... whole foods will always be > processed powders. I came up with a shake that I think tastes great, is filling, has a well-balanced protein blend, and is easily adjustable to fit your macro goals. Give it a shot:

1 cup liquid (cartoned) egg whites
    1 cup 1% milkfat, low-salt cottage cheese
    1/2 cup whole oats
    3 packets Splenda/Stevia (whichever you prefer - and adjust sweetness to your liking)
    1-2 tbsp natty PB (when I want a lower-fat version, I eliminate the PB and use 2-3 tbsp PB2 powdered PB)
    1tbsp raw cacao powder
    1 medium frozen banana (cut into chunks before freezing)
    Blend and enjoy!

You can add a variety of other supplements if you wish: creatine mono, BCAA's, etc.

You're getting a 50/50 mix of fast-med. acting protein in the egg whites, without the worry of them being raw (salmonella), and a slower primarily casein source in the cottage cheese. Oats are always a staple carb source in my diets. Banana added for flavor, some quick energy (preworkout), and essentially as the 'ice cubes' to make it cold, thick and frothy. Finally, you have the sweetener and cacao powder as your flavorings. Tastes GREAT with real PB, but again if you wish to keep fat content lower, PB2 or similar is a solid option.

I drink this meal (and it is a legit meal) about 1.5 hours preworkout, and concern myself very little with PWO/recovery (I've always been a much bigger advocate for preworkout nutrition, but I digress). I still eat a substantial PWO meal pretty soon after my workout, but that's mainly because I've exhausted myself in the gym and am starving (see irritable cvnt reference).

Hope this helps. Any ?? let me know.

~GB
    Hey G good to see you again.

Do you think instead of cottage cheese one could replace it with Greek yogurt and it still fill the needs you outlined above?
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Hey G good to see you again.

Do you think instead of cottage cheese one could replace it with Greek yogurt and it still fill the needs you outlined above?
    Hey bro, good to see you as well.

Definitely. Both are primarily casein-based. I've actually sub'd with plain, nonfat Greek yogurt when I didn't have cottage cheese on hand ... found I needed to add another packet or two of sweetener to offset the sourness of the yogurt.
    RaginCajun likes this.

prenes is offline Junior Member
    takes the enjoyment out of actually chewing my food.

Thread Information