Thread: Whiteboard diet

AMD405 is offline New Member

Whiteboard diet

Just curious if anyone here has tried, or even heard of, the whiteboard diet. One of my crossfit friends sent it to me and I'm not sure about it. No macro calculations or calorie counting. However, you do calculate your LBM and that is what you feed. The program is broke down into what they call block meals which you eat 6 times a day. I get extremely focused when cutting so the absence of sugar and sodium is not a deal breaker but the muscle wasting that I see in him while on this cut diet concerns me. Anyone have any experience with this diet? The "block" meals are laid out and very strict. I would upload the document but it is 71 pages mostly of directions and logs.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Every diet uses lbm, and not gross tonnage.

So, if your feeding just lbm, tell me how is that not counting macros?

Never heard of it.

I did a diet like so

Each meal, 5 grams fat, 35g protein, and 45g carbs. 5 to 6 times a day

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMD405 View Post
    Just curious if anyone here has tried, or even heard of, the whiteboard diet. One of my crossfit friends sent it to me and I'm not sure about it. No macro calculations or calorie counting. However, you do calculate your LBM and that is what you feed. The program is broke down into what they call block meals which you eat 6 times a day. I get extremely focused when cutting so the absence of sugar and sodium is not a deal breaker but the muscle wasting that I see in him while on this cut diet concerns me. Anyone have any experience with this diet? The "block" meals are laid out and very strict. I would upload the document but it is 71 pages mostly of directions and logs.
    Is there a link to it? Never heard of it. No macro counting and no calorie counting sounds correct. I need more information on it.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    It's part of the CrossFit Level 1 Certification Book which can be downloaded for free on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    It's part of the CrossFit Level 1 Certification Book which can be downloaded for free on their website.
    Ok I found the book Level 1 training guide. I don't see "white board diet" anywhere. But there is a nutrition section with this advice, "Eat a diet of meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar."

First, starch is fine. This is starch in vegetables, tubers, beans, lentils, rice, potatoes, yams. There is special starch compounds that are very healthy. Also, if your a serious athlete then starch is your best friend. This is straight out of a textbook. For athletic performance the limiting factor is glucose. Carb loading is your friend if your a serious athlete and want to perform best on game day. In fact just FYI if your competing and you feel your muscle endurance is diminishing gatorade has these special gummies which are just glucose. This is what allows you to perform your best. If your carb loading then things like pasta and rice are required for the best performance. I will go into some of the other advice I see in this document later. To increase performance carbohydrates are necessary. Some fruit is ok but more is also ok they are filled with antioxidants and micronutrients. Also if your intensity is very high in the gym then carbohydrates or sugar may be necessary that is another case. Now, lets talk about if your just hitting the gym and not a serious athlete or compete or lets say you have a day of lower intensity. Just hitting the gym. Then

Protein plus vegetables and some fruit may be all your body requires. If your disciplined then 4-6 meals of protein plus vegetables/salad some fruit a little nuts/seeds may be ideal. So if your just hitting the gym which I also do you may not need all those extra carbohydrates. Lets say its leg day. If you take legs seriously then add in some extra carbohydrates so you can perform well on leg day. If you skimp on the starch your workout will be effected if your training hard. Also, pure sugar is ok on lets say atop your oatmeal if your competing. Ok thats it for now I'll look over the rest later.
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 08-24-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member

Whiteboard diet

It basically just sounds like paleo with a different name, given what Brock's first paragraph quotes.

Then pairing that with your description, it almost sounds like a weird bastard child of paleo and Zone.

"Optimizing Performance
    The next layer to diet is about optimizing performance. Through a diet of meat and
    vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar, you will not be so lucky as
    to optimize your output. To get a sub-three-minute Fran, you need to weigh and measure
    your meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, fruit and starch, and you need to eliminate sugar."

"The first step: When you get as lean as you want to be
    and before there is a diminution in performance, double the fat"

"Increasing Fat Intake
    The caloric restriction leans out the athlete while providing enough protein and carbohy
    -
    drate for typical CrossFit activity levels. However, the athlete can become too lean. The ath
    -
    lete is considered “too lean” when performance decreases in combination with continued
    weight loss. “Too lean” should not be based on body weight or appearance alone. When a
    loss of mass coincides with a drop in performance, the athlete needs to add calories to the
    diet. This can be accomplished by doubling the fat intake (Table 2)."

These quotes from the book are the opposite of what you want to do.

So the author is modifying the zone diet it looks like where it really doesn't need to be modified. The zone diet from what I can see is a pretty good diet for people to follow. So if you want to follow the zone go for it. If these "blocks" you want to try and will stick to it then it provides adequate nutrition and energy for workouts. It's basically what you think you can follow. You could also just say a serving of protein a 1-2 servings vegetables and 1-2 servings of other carbohydrates like rice, beans, lentils and a little fat.

What they are calling fast track is actually a "Paleo" zone. Then it adds different "blocks" as the weeks go by until you reach a maintenance zone. Paleo bastard child is a more accurate title.

No link but I do have the 71 page document I could email.

No link but I do have the 71 page document I could email.
    No its ok I'm not that interested in it. I appreciate it though.

Thread Information