puffy16 is offline Junior Member

Protein bars and should they be part of diet?

I started reading a lot of articles on here and noticed not a lot has been covered about PBs or shakes. I agree natural protein in form of meat is best but it is not always convinient. I come accustom to Quest and Pure Proteins bars for quick 20g of protein with low sugar and caloric intake (200-250 cal and 5-10g sugar). Would you guys recommend them. For my size I need 310+g protein a day and honestly I am freaking out cause I don't think I can find that (I don't cook so would have to buy meal prep).

Side note, I eat a lot fruits and seems like fruit is a no-no as well even though it's natural sugar (it's still sugar).

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by puffy16 View Post
    I started reading a lot of articles on here and noticed not a lot has been covered about PBs or shakes. I agree natural protein in form of meat is best but it is not always convinient. I come accustom to Quest and Pure Proteins bars for quick 20g of protein with low sugar and caloric intake (200-250 cal and 5-10g sugar). Would you guys recommend them. For my size I need 310+g protein a day and honestly I am freaking out cause I don't think I can find that (I don't cook so would have to buy meal prep).

Side note, I eat a lot fruits and seems like fruit is a no-no as well even though it's natural sugar (it's still sugar).
    I swear buy Quest protein bars but there's only a few flavors that don't have artificial sweeteners in them that use Stevia instead also I like pure proteins Protein Plus line that also doesn't have artificial sweeteners but man some of those bars are loaded with saturated fat I try to go for the ones that are 7 grams of fat or less with less than 4 grams of saturated fat

Cuz once a bar gets up into the 10 grams of fat 35 grams of carb range it's a fucking glorified Snickers bar that's all

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member

Myprotein has some really good milk protein bars ..at 310 grams protein a day your gonna have to cook at some point bro..my guess is you havnt been teaching that macro range ..that's about what I take in and Iam constantly cooking ..beef jerky,almonds,tuna kits,sliced deli turkey things like that you can buy and eat on the go..

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I also drink egg whites sometimes but I've read some studies that say you only digest half of the liduid egg whites you consume..make sure your bars are a good quality protein most I see are whey protein concentrate which I would avoid ..go for a isolate or milk protein, they are hard to find but much better quality..

toughspencer is offline New Member
    In my opinion, protein bars can be good, but they're often loaded with sugar and not worth the money. You'll be healthier and more fit if you focus on eating a balanced diet of real foods.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Dude

\300 Grams Protein of Chicken Breast is five medium breasts. You cannot handle eating a breast per meal? Get serious and do the basics. This is the basic of the basics.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    I doubt you NEED 300g + protein per day in any event. Where do you get that figure from?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    I doubt you NEED 300g + protein per day in any event. Where do you get that figure from?
    I am reading Nutrition 101 with clean bulk in stickies. I'm 6'2" 215lbs. lift 3-5 times a week. There is a formula for clean bulking.

I am reading Nutrition 101 with clean bulk in stickies. I'm 6'2" 215lbs. lift 3-5 times a week. There is a formula for clean bulking.
    Unless you are zero % bodyfat you don't need that much protein. 1.5g protein per LEAN lb of bidyweight os more than sufficient.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Unless you are zero % bodyfat you don't need that much protein. 1.5g protein per LEAN lb of bidyweight os more than sufficient.
    according to TDEE my maint is 3200cal + 500 bulking is 3700cal. based on 40/40/20 percent thats 370g of protein.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    according to TDEE my maint is 3200cal + 500 bulking is 3700cal. based on 40/40/20 percent thats 370g of protein.
    Forget using percent for macros as you will be way off. BiB recommendation on 1.5g of protein/lbm is the absolute max you would ever need to consume. Personally I have never needed more than 1g/lbm but I am also not on his level.

Protein = 1g/lbm
    Fat = 80g
    Carbs = rest of calories

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Forget using percent for macros as you will be way off. BiB recommendation on 1.5g of protein/lbm is the absolute max you would ever need to consume. Personally I have never needed more than 1g/lbm but I am also not on his level.

Protein = 1g/lbm
    Fat = 80g
    Carbs = rest of calories

Interesting, so how would one calculate LBM since obviously my 215 is not lean.

Interesting, so how would one calculate LBM since obviously my 215 is not lean.
    What is your bodyfat%?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	170605
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thread Information