Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Small
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: Diet plan please help

throwawayjohn is offline New Member

Diet plan please help

I'm 22/5'9 185lbs About 19-20% bf.

I want to be around 12% how much caloric deficit per week would be optimal without losing mass?

Can you guys help me with setting up my macros please?

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by throwawayjohn View Post
    I'm 22/5'9 185lbs About 19-20% bf.

I want to be around 12% how much caloric deficit per week would be optimal without losing mass?

Can you guys help me with setting up my macros please?
    12% seems doable without a caloric deficit. Help us out, post your diet currently. Also your weight training and cardio.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Also your substances

Mr. Small is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Also your substances
    This guy is 22, surely after the research, he knows not to use substances....

Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    12% seems doable without a caloric deficit. Help us out, post your diet currently. Also your weight training and cardio.
    Sorry for the late response, my diet is about 2500 calories and I train 5 times a week with no cardio.

Sorry for the late response, my diet is about 2500 calories and I train 5 times a week with no cardio.
    Why don't you add in some HIIT cardio. It would seem like you've got some room for improvement with the fact your not doing any cardio. Let me think about it more but for now it looks like you can add in HIIT. 2500kcal seems a little low. If you add in HIIT at 2500kcal I would expect some positive body composition changes. Are you not hungry? You might want to increase your kcal some. You might be under eating a little which won't be beneficial.
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 10-07-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Mr. Small is offline Member
    Surely 2500cals is way too high. I would shoot for 2000 and see how that goes.
    numbere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    Surely 2500cals is way too high. I would shoot for 2000 and see how that goes.
    Won't that cause any mass loss? Should I just go for 500 deficit instantly?

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of HIIT I think if I just cut out sugars and be on a deficit I would lose some bodyfat but I'm afraid of mass loss.

What do you think?

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Won't that cause any mass loss? Should I just go for 500 deficit instantly?
    Without knowing more about you and your activity level it's extremely difficult to give accurate advice on this subject over the internet.

Your maintenance calories are likely around 2500 to 2800 calories give or take.

If I were in your position I drop it down to 2000 a day. Then weigh yourself in 10 to 14 days and base your next few weeks off that data. If you feel you're losing weight too quickly than eat a little more.

I assume by losing mass you mean muscle tissue. Yes, you'll lose some muscle tissue, it's inevitable.

You need to do this a few times and learn how your body responds best.
    BrockBadger likes this.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of HIIT I think if I just cut out sugars and be on a deficit I would lose some bodyfat but I'm afraid of mass loss.

What do you think?
    Yes, there was not enough information about your diet. But if you have excess sugars then cut them out. Like cut out cola beverages is a big one. Those have been associated with disease. I mean its not so much that your not a fan of HIIT its what the data suggest. Which in some studies fat loss is greater than traditional cardio. Although traditional cardio has its places. If you simply don't like HIIT then add in some other types of cardio like running or rowing. I agree with numbere. Make a change and then measure it and then base your next move on the data you have. Again there is no magical kcal number. I would start just at your kcal intake of 2500 and add in some traditional cardio twice a week and see if you've leaned up some. This is if your 2500kcal your comfortable with and you don't feel like your starving yourself. Numbere is right. Losing some muscle with losing bodyfat can go hand in hand. I would say there is a case though where if your not in good enough shape you can actually lose bodyfat and gain muscle. You might be in this boat since your bodyfat is higher right now. After you take your measurements you can then decide if you want to drop the kcal by 500kcal as long as your not starving yourself. So try that-Keep it at 2500kcal and add in cardio twice a week 45min-1 hour.

Cool pic BTW numbere... I agree with what you said.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    Cool pic BTW numbere... I agree with what you said.
    Thanks buddy!

It's great to see new members like you offering up solid advice in the Diet and Nutrition Forum.

This area of the site is a treasure trove information for new arrivals to the lifestyle but is often overlooked.

Keep up the good work!

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Its all a guessing game as to what your TDEE is based on your information. I would expect it to by a little below 2500, but you have solid advice. Pick a calorie count and try it. As Brock said HIIT will assist greatly in losing weight. My personal opinion is to dial in your diet and use cardio to accelerate weight loss to your liking. It sounds like you are not really a fan of cardio but I really think that you should include it even if it is walking. 12% is a great goal to shoot for.

Thread Information