Slyder is offline Junior Member

How many grams of fat per meal do you eat while on a low carb/keto diet?

just curious. I try and stay around 15 grams.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

that is an impossible question to answer.

It will depend on the person's weight of course......one who is 160 doesn't need nearly as much as one who is 290...............

as well, metabolism/blood sugar/bodyfat percentage all play a role in figuring out how many grams of fat one needs to run such a program.

~SC~

Slyder is offline Junior Member

Swole...

Very true. I should've asked people to give their weight and height as well I guess. Thanks for hittin me with a reply. How've you been man? Business has gotta be boomin for ya. Your diet is hot on a whole lot of boards now-a-days.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    My daily fat intake when cutting is about 50-60g.

I'm bulking up right now, and i'm about 50% fat and 50% protein, thats a daily percentage.
    Last edited by saboudian; 07-13-2003 at 12:46 PM.

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    When I cut using a keto diet, fat usually isn't a question. I did figure out that since carb percentages are lowered, the fat naturally goes up(from all the red meat and cheeses I ate). Truthfully, when I was dieting I only kept track of Calories, Carbs and protein. I ended up losing about 15pds and got down to about 8%bf. I did lose a little muscle though, and alot of strength. I think this was due to a lack of total daily calories. I just couldn't eat enough, since the majority of my calories were coming from carbs before. Trial and error -- I guess I'll be more prepared for next year!

KingMike is offline Associate Member
    non carb days why should it matter how much fat you eat a meal. If protein is in check and the fats are good sources. Don't tell me I have to cut my 1 oz. of walnuts in half to to get less than the 20 grams of fat per serving.

wolfstriked is offline Associate Member
    Im doing well just eating fat that is found in steak,chicken thighs and eggs.Getting leaner while weight is staying the same.

I too have noticed strength dropping and realized that its from not being able to push myself hard for last few reps.I have since started drinking a gatorade before a weight workout and feel fine now.

oswaldosalcedo is offline Senior Member
    if you eat less than 50-60 gr of carbs (daily) or less,fat can be unlinited.

That's not true at all.

If that were the case, you could eat 8000 grams of fat a day w/out any issues and that's not realistic at all.

~SC~

wolfstriked is offline Associate Member
    I agree with Swolecat.That myth is ridiculous.If you ingest a huge amount of fat and your body will not store it then what happens.Your triglycerides will go thru the roof and your blood will keep thickening from all the free floating fatty acids.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstriked
    I agree with Swolecat.That myth is ridiculous.If you ingest a huge amount of fat and your body will not store it then what happens.Your triglycerides will go thru the roof and your blood will keep thickening from all the free floating fatty acids.
    negative,i have done ketogenic diets (high protein keto diet) several times,eat like 6-8 chops with sausages at dinner! ha ha.... breakfeast 6-8 eggs with bacon and butter,really delicious,lunch time,a lots of ribs.
    the secret is keep carbs very low.
    I apply this diet to some of my clients too and check his blood values for hdl,ldl,tryglicerides and all are ok,carbs are more dangerous than fat for that values.
    my values are 130 for total cholesterol (on a keto diet).

JOURNAL OF NUTRITION 2006 Feb;136(2):384-9.
    Carbohydrate restriction alters lipoprotein metabolism by modifying VLDL, LDL, and HDL subfraction distribution and size in overweight men.
    Wood RJ, , Liu Y, Shachter NS,Contois JH, Fernandez ML.
    Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA.

To determine the effects of carbohydrate restriction (CR) with and without soluble fiber on lipoprotein metabolism, 29 men participated in a 12-wk weight loss intervention. Subjects were matched by age and BMI and randomly assigned to consume 3 g/d of either a soluble fiber supplement (n=14) or placebo (n=15) with a macronutrient energy distribution of approximately 10% carbohydrate, approximately 65% fat, and approximately 25% protein. Because the groups did not differ in any of the variables measured, all data were pooled and comparisons were made between baseline and 12 wk. After 12 wk, subjects had a mean weight loss of 7.5 kg (P<0.001), and abdominal fat was reduced by 20% (P<0.001). Plasma LDL cholesterol and triglycerides (TG) were significantly reduced by 8.9 and 38.6%, respectively. Similarly, apolipoproteins C-I (-13.8%), C-III (-21.2%) and E (-12.5%) were significantly lower after the intervention. In contrast plasma HDL-cholesterol concentrations were increased by 12% (P<0.05). Changes in plasma TG were positively correlated with reductions in large (r=0.615, P<0.01) and medium VLDL particles (r=0.432, P<0.05) and negatively correlated with LDL diameter (r=-0.489, P<0.01). Changes in trunk fat were positively correlated with medium VLDL (r=0.474, P<0.0) and small LDL (r=0.405, P<0.05) and negatively correlated with large HDL (r=-0.556, P<0.01). We conclude that weight loss induced by CR favorably alters the secretion and processing of plasma lipoproteins, rendering VLDL, LDL, and HDL particles associated with decreased risk for atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease.

---------------------
    it matters too,the size of ldl particles and anyway i am not interested in ingest a kilo or 2 of fat but..............i like fat, yes!
    Last edited by oswaldosalcedo; 07-24-2006 at 12:43 PM.

KingMike is offline Associate Member
    What is the difference in getting 2 tbs. of flax in one meal as opposed to getting 1 tbs. spread out over 2 meals?

of course,
    some conditions apply (R)
    (for weight loss)

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2006 May 15;3:20.
    Physiogenomic analysis of weight loss induced by dietary carbohydrate restriction.

Genomas, Inc,, 67 Jefferson St, Hartford, CT 06106, USA.

ABSTRACT : BACKGROUND : Diets that restrict carbohydrate (CHO) have proven to be a successful dietary treatment of obesity for many people, but the degree of weight loss varies across individuals. The extent to which genetic factors associate with the magnitude of weight loss induced by CHO restriction is unknown. We examined associations among polymorphisms in candidate genes and weight loss in order to understand the physiological factors influencing body weight responses to CHO restriction. METHODS : We screened for genetic associations with weight loss in 86 healthy adults who were instructed to restrict CHO to a level that induced a small level of ketosis (CHO ~10% of total energy). A total of 27 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) were selected from 15 candidate genes involved in fat digestion/metabolism, intracellular glucose metabolism, lipoprotein remodeling, and appetite regulation. Multiple linear regression was used to rank the SNPs according to probability of association, and the most significant associations were analyzed in greater detail. RESULTS : Mean weight loss was 6.4 kg. SNPs in the gastric lipase (LIPF), hepatic glycogen synthase (GYS2), cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) and galanin (GAL) genes were significantly associated with weight loss. CONCLUSION : A strong association between weight loss induced by dietary CHO restriction and variability in genes regulating fat digestion, hepatic glucose metabolism, intravascular lipoprotein remodeling, and appetite were detected. These discoveries could provide clues to important physiologic adaptations underlying the body mass response to CHO restriction.
    Last edited by oswaldosalcedo; 07-24-2006 at 01:25 PM.

I'd love to see the body you've built with a keto approach.

Please share your pics, we'd love to see.

As well, you missed my point about consumption of unlimited fat calories, but never mind......

~SC~

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

As well, you missed my point about consumption of unlimited fat calories, but never mind......

~SC~

yeah, hah no shivt. i wanna see pics to

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    oswaldosalcedo

sounds like you are being called out.. I know what my body does on a keto diet, and having cholesterol at 375, and triglicerides unable to measure because they were too high..

I don't do it.. also the lack of energy..

but hey, it's not about me.. it's about swole asking for pics of a keto diet body builder..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    no way...........
    Quote Originally Posted by oswaldosalcedo
    it matters too,the size of ldl particles and anyway i am not interested in ingest a kilo or 2 of fat but..............i like fat, yes!
    I do not see the relevancy about pics
    and remember i am a pure ectomorph, for me it is very easy get ripped.

I myself currently weigh 224 lbs, and I'm in the process of dieting for a competition in 8 wks. AS of right now I'm probably 10-11% bodyfat. First off, as your body changes and your weight fluctuates, your diet is going to have to as well. I always try to keep my body guessing. And yes, there are some days even on a diet I'll take my fat intake up to 150 grams/day. Usually as a rule of thumb, days that are lower in carbs are higher in fats, and vice versa. I like to cycle my carbs, and usually it's a 3 day cycle, day 1- 150 grams ,day 2- 200-250 grams, day 250 -300 grams, therefore on day 1 I'll consume somewhere in the neighborhood of 120-150 grams of fat, day 2 is around 80- 100 grams of fat, and day 3 would be like 30-40 grams of fat. As the weeks continue the numbers obviously get lower because my body is losing some size and my caloric needs are changing as I'm transforming my physique. Also, I utilize 3 different fat sources, almonds, natty peanut butter, and flax oil. Hope this helps

Thread Information