Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By energizer bunny
  • 1 Post By hook181
  • 1 Post By BuddyGlove1

Thread: Need help on dieting

hook181 is offline New Member

Need help on dieting

Im 41 years old, 6'1, 220lbs at approximately 14% BF. I lift 4-5 days a week, an hour a day. Im trying to get close to 180lbs and under 10% BF (Im guessing). My most difficult thing is understanding my diet and what foods give me the macros I need. I'm wanting to know what foods give me what macros, and how much I should intake to reach my goal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Do you use a food log app, myfitness pal or anything like that?

If not this would be a great place to start and will give you the information you are seeking.

To reach your goal you need to first work out your TDEE/maintenance calories, find an online calculator through google, this will give you a rough estimate of the calories you need daily, then you can decide what macro break down you need/want and fit that into the calories.

Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post

If not this would be a great place to start and will give you the information you are seeking.

To reach your goal you need to first work out your TDEE/maintenance calories, find an online calculator through google, this will give you a rough estimate of the calories you need daily, then you can decide what macro break down you need/want and fit that into the calories.
    Yes, I do use myfitness pal. I guess one question I have is what foods are considered protein? I know the meats, but where else can I get my proteins? I'm trying to learn how to "eat clean". According to myfitness pal. If I want to weigh 180, I should consume around 1600 calories. I've been doing this and probably under for some time. I feel I'm eating the wrong foods.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    http://forums.steroid.com/diet-nutri...-how-diet.html

1600 cals!! that seems way to low for a man your size. ive used a quick TDEE calc and i got your maintenance around 2700 cals.

if you want to eat "clean" then have a watch of the videos linked above, they will give you the definition of pro, fat, carb foods.

I honestly could never eat that way BUT a lot of people can.

just for the record mate, if you are eating 1600 cals you should be losing weight, dont matter on the macros or food types for sheer weight loss.

http://forums.steroid.com/diet-nutri...-how-diet.html

1600 cals!! that seems way to low for a man your size. ive used a quick TDEE calc and i got your maintenance around 2700 cals.

if you want to eat "clean" then have a watch of the videos linked above, they will give you the definition of pro, fat, carb foods.

I honestly could never eat that way BUT a lot of people can.
    Lol yea that's what I was thinking. I seen the videos and have started watching them but haven't made it all the way through. I lost 102lbs by eating 1200 calories and doing nothing but cardio, I know now that is wrong lol. Between the lifting and slightly poor diet I'm back up to 220lbs, I've been on a couple of cycles but I'm just trying to get my diet straight before I hit another cycle. So, on figuring my calories, do I go off my current weight or my goal weight?

Quote Originally Posted by hook181 View Post
    Lol yea that's what I was thinking. I seen the videos and have started watching them but haven't made it all the way through. I lost 102lbs by eating 1200 calories and doing nothing but cardio, I know now that is wrong lol. Between the lifting and slightly poor diet I'm back up to 220lbs, I've been on a couple of cycles but I'm just trying to get my diet straight before I hit another cycle. So, on figuring my calories, do I go off my current weight or my goal weight?

current weight mate, then adjust as you go.

current weight mate, then adjust as you go.
    Thanks, that's a good start

Quote Originally Posted by hook181 View Post
    Thanks, that's a good start

Good luck with your goals mate.
    hook181 likes this.

BuddyGlove1 is offline Junior Member
    Agree. Start on Myfitness pal. check macros, get a digital scale and actually weigh everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyGlove1 View Post
    Agree. Start on Myfitness pal. check macros, get a digital scale and actually weigh everything.
    That's something I haven't gotten yet. I'll pick up one

BuddyGlove1 likes this.

Could you tell me where you found my TDEE?

BuddyGlove1 is offline Junior Member
    A scale will help tremendously. I hate cups because you can't know for sure how much is in it unless it is a liquid. Write down your diet. Stick to it for a couple of weeks and see how you do. You can pick one up for about $15. as far as tdee there is a good thread in the diet section on this site for it.
    hook181 likes this.

Thread Information