Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Advice on carb cycling

tooliehi is offline New Member

Advice on carb cycling

I am starting a a new taper down/up 5 day carb cycle and would like others feedback on whether its a decent cycle.

Stats:
    5'9"
    200lbs
    20%bf

Day 1: 200g carbs/265 protein/2100 cal -- cardio/wkout
    Day 2: 100g carbs/200 protein/1450 cal -- cardio/wkout
    Day 3: 50g carbs /165 protein/1000 cal -- wkout only
    Day 4: 100g carbs/200 protein/1450 cal -- cardio/wkout
    Day 5: 200g carbs/265 protein/2100 cal -- cardio/wkout

Fasted Cardio in the am
    Workout in the pm

Typical 200g/carbs day: carbs/protein/calories

Fasted Cardio/HIIT wkout
    1. 1cup egg whites, 1 cup oats --57/35/440
    2. 7oz chicken, 1 baked potato --44/65/241
    3. protein bar, 2 rice cakes w/honey --74/28/400
    Workout
    4. post workout protein shake, apple --28/50/273
    5. 7 oz chicken --1/61/327
    6. 1 scoop casein --3/25/120

On lower carb days i switch out potato/brown rice w/broccoli. My goal is to get body fat% down so im either off with some of these numbers(blame google not me) or i feel like my calorie intake is too high.

If you have better carb cycling meal plans im all ears

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Where are your fats at?

I'll typically have a 2 tbsp peanut butter with one of the meals and olive oil on the baked potato. chicken is cooked in olive oil as well. that is pretty much it for fats as that is exactly what i am trying to lose

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    if your eating things like peanut butter and olive oil for your fat sources then you need to calculate them in with you Macros, as fats are the most calorie dense foods.

heres things I would change.
    - Keep your Protein fixed. there is no need to change it day to day. simplify and keep it at say 250g per day.
    - Have your Carbs only around the time of and after your workout.
    - Have your 200g of carb days fall on the days your training has more volume. Perhaps a leg or back day.
    - Have ONE re feed day per week. Make sure its on a hard training day. Have about 400g of Carbs. This will keep your metabolism going.
    - Do not combine your direct sources of fats, like peanut butter, at the time you take in Carbs (ie., around your workout). Fats should fall in mainly on off days and times your consuming no Carbs
    - Do not have any Carbs on your days off. That day should be a moderate Fat intake day.

so may look something like this

Off day: 0 carbs/250p/40 fat
    Day 1: 200g carbs/250 protein-- cardio/wkout
    Day 2: 100g carbs/250 protein -- cardio/wkout
    Day 3: 50g carbs /250 protein -- wkout only
    Day 4: 400g carbs/250 protein -- cardio/wkout
    Day 5: 200g carbs/250 protein -- cardio/wkout

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    if your eating things like peanut butter and olive oil for your fat sources then you need to calculate them in with you Macros, as fats are the most calorie dense foods.

heres things I would change.
    - Keep your Protein fixed. there is no need to change it day to day. simplify and keep it at say 250g per day.
    - Have your Carbs only around the time of and after your workout.
    - Have your 200g of carb days fall on the days your training has more volume. Perhaps a leg or back day.
    - Have ONE re feed day per week. Make sure its on a hard training day. Have about 400g of Carbs. This will keep your metabolism going.
    - Do not combine your direct sources of fats, like peanut butter, at the time you take in Carbs (ie., around your workout). Fats should fall in mainly on off days and times your consuming no Carbs
    - Do not have any Carbs on your days off. That day should be a moderate Fat intake day.

so may look something like this

Day 1: 200g carbs/250 protein-- cardio/wkout
    Day 2: 100g carbs/250 protein -- cardio/wkout
    Day 3: 50g carbs /250 protein -- wkout only
    Day 4: 400g carbs/250 protein -- cardio/wkout
    Day 5: 200g carbs/250 protein -- cardio/wkout
    that looks solid. so do you think i may be worrying about my calorie intake too much and re-focus on just carbs, fats and protein? If so then that helps a lot because it is hard to get in 250g of protein without the calories that accompany most proteins.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by tooliehi View Post
    that looks solid. so do you think i may be worrying about my calorie intake too much and re-focus on just carbs, fats and protein? If so then that helps a lot because it is hard to get in 250g of protein without the calories that accompany most proteins.
    I don't think you need to worry about or even calculate your calories at this time.. just stick to the macros and then adjust them as you progress. mainly carbs and fats. so lets say at week 5 your weight loss slows down, well now its time to cut the 40g of fat on rest days in half down to 20g a day. (that right there cuts out 360 calories). Then eventually you'll cut some carbs back on certain days.

you'll want to keep protein fairly high though due to its thermogenic effect. heres a number that will surprise you. you are burning 2,100 calories per week just by eating and assimilating that protein. thats how much energy it takes your body to use in a week to break down 250g a day (x7 days) of protein. thats like 7 individual l hour long cardio sessions.

the reason is because of the thermo effect of protein. basically 30% of each gram of protein is burnt up or used in assimilating it.

the protein actually helps put us in a calorie deficit in a way .. this is why you only want to manipulate the fats and carbs with your diet and keep your protein high
    MuscleScience and tooliehi like this.

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    GH for the win

Thread Information