• 1 Post By matt thebeard
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By Back In Black
  • 1 Post By nadakuss
  • 3 Post By tarmyg

Thread: Calorie intake / macro help please.

nadakuss is offline New Member

Calorie intake / macro help please.

I am looking to get in shape for about the 100th time in my short life. I have always been fat and I'm seriously fed up wit it now
    I have put my details into about 3 different calculators to help me calorie count and they all come back very different. With a difference of over 1000 calories????. If any one would be willing to help it would be very much appreciated.
    I'm 5ft 10in
    34 yrs old
    110kg.
    I an lightly active I'm on my feet for 12hrs a day at work and I go to the gym for around 45 mins 2-3 times a week.
    I have a very basic understanding of nutrition I think I am putting the right foot forward I have bought lots of chicken lean mince fish veggies and rice. I plan to eat as clean as possible.
    Again any help or advice is very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

matt thebeard is offline Junior Member
    quick mental calculation 2300 cals per day would be about right for you roughly but there are plenty of on line calcuatiion tools, be conservative with your energy expenditure and you wont rip yourself off then
    nadakuss likes this.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If you have not eaten clean previously I would start there and not calculate calories. This is enough as a first change. Once you feel you got that down start control things a bit more. If you do it all at once it gets to much for most people and they return to the old ways quick.
    nadakuss likes this.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by matt thebeard View Post
    quick mental calculation 2300 cals per day would be about right for you roughly but there are plenty of on line calcuatiion tools, be conservative with your energy expenditure and you wont rip yourself off then
    He weighs 230lbs. What happens when he stops losing after 20lbs or so, where does he go? Sub 2000?

I think this is way too low. OP, as Tarmy suggested, clean up the diet first. You haven’t said what gives you have but drop the takeaways, drop the high fat and /or high sugar snacks and most definitely stop the booze.

What does your typical day look like food wise?
    nadakuss likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

at 5ft 10 and after a 20lbs drop ?? hes around abouts target weight for his height pretty much - so he doesn't actually need go anywhere from there, he can gradually return to maintenance cals then ? he also said he wanted to "not be fat" he didn't say he wanted to be shredded so hes not going to need to go much beyond 2300 cals providing he keeps consistent and isn't in a rush, his main diet would included in his first post for the most part so I would assume he's' not eating burgers daily from his shopping list. ps you asked about macros do you understand what they are and how they work? I would research this whilst controlling your calories it will give you some of the tools you will need to try to stay at the weight you drop to when you get there.
    Last edited by matt thebeard; 02-06-2018 at 05:55 AM.
    nadakuss likes this.

I am going to respond and thanks for all the input I am at work but when I get a second I will reply in derail thank you.

Ok thanks guys
    I have definitely eaten clean previously my typical diet is I think quite good mon-fri today for example
    250g fat free Greek yog
    30g oats
    A handful of cherries and fruits of the forest.
    200g chicken in some nandos peri peri marinade. 1/2 a pack of uncle bens whole grain rice.
    2 apples
    4 egg omlete with half a jacket spud and a little cheese.

However the weekend is quite a different matter at here in lies my problem I normally have 2 take aways I don't watch what I eat at all and probably on average 18 cans of strong lager or cider. I am fully aware that this has to stop and that is fully my intention.

I have a little understanding of macros I know the 4 4 9 thing carbs protien fat per gram. However I would not have a clue what split or how to count or anything like that.

I have downloaded my fitness pal. And I am entering my foods. The calculator on there put me at around 2200 cals.

take aways and alchohol are out the window if your serious bud, the body doesn't do weekends its a 7 day deficit that figure is based on and everyday counts.

leafy green veg is missing from above broccoli green beans spinach etc the higher the fibre content (see myfitness pal) the more "full " you should feel for longer which on 2400 cals will help!

the 18 cans of strongbow for example is a day and a halfs calories (over 3000!) add in a chicken pasanda (700 calories) garlic naan (200 cals) bag of chips (250) your well over 4000 calories just there and that's with a single curry dish chips and naan, so either have the beer and curry or - 2 days food !! see why it has to go??
    Last edited by matt thebeard; 02-06-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    nadakuss likes this.

in other words the 2400 calories per day you are attempting is giving you somewhere near a 500 calories per day deficit (the amount needed in theory to burn 3500 calories a week which is roughly the cals in one pound of fat divided by 7 days)

which is pointless if your going to take that 500 cals per day saved over the week and eat them all on Saturday and Sunday in addition to the rest of your normal meals.

if you cant manage 2400 straight away start with just not eating the takeaways and drinking the alchohol, that saves you shed load of calories and when you've cracked that then maybe ease into the 2400 daily calories .
    there is no point killing yourself on super strict calories if your not going to be able to NOT cheat whilst on it, small changes that you can stick to will be better than huge changes that you cant.
    Last edited by matt thebeard; 02-06-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    nadakuss likes this.

I'm on it now I really belive I'm in the right mindset to do this me and the Mrs are both overweight ( she needs lo loose more than me) and we are full aware that we need to sort our shit out. I have jumped in with both feet and failed many times so I'm going to focus on eating as clean as poss the beer and the take away have to stop its not till I wrote it down did I realise quite how bad it is. I just figured it was the weekend so let's have it. Thanks for all the help so far.

matt thebeard likes this.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Many times the nutrition changes we are looking for have nothing to do with food. It is mostly behavioral changes that need to take place and the food will follow. Good luck and keep coming back here for advice, we are always willing to help.

Ok thought I would do a quick update.
    I have been doing ok I have been going to the gym 4 times a week, weight training and through the week I have been pretty good my main stumbling block is my wife has completely given up so I leave for the gym at 5.15 in the morning I work 7 till 6 and get home around 6.30. By that point I'm starving and my kids have just been fed so I normally steal a bit of there leftovers nuggets,chips,pizza ECT (They don't eat shit all the time just an example). Then the Mrs is knackered and not dieting so we end up having something quick easy and normally not very good for us . So my weekday diet has looked roughly like this:
    Coffee with semi skimmed milk at 4.50
    Gym 45mis weights.
    250g of fat free natural yougurt 30g oats 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter.
    10.30 4 egg omlete with half a tin of branston beans.
    1.30 chicken breast with wholegrain rice or sweet potato peas and broccoli.
    4.30 normally a banana and a yougurt.
    Then when I get home as I have previously said. I plan to sort it out I find it really really hard I eat in a canteen around people who are having burger and chips ect. I find the food really boring sometimes but I know I have to do it. I'm fed up being fat. And I don't want my 4 kids to grow up with a fat dad. My wife says she can see a difference in my body shape and I definitely feel a lot stronger and everything feels a little tighter if that makes sense??. I think I need to get rid of some of the egg yolks at 1.30. I probably should be eating b4 the gym and I definitely need to sort my evening meal out. Thanks for all your help/advice so far.

Thread Information