Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Table sugar to create insulin "spike" ?

GuanacoJuicer is offline New Member

Table sugar to create insulin "spike" ?

Currently I am just drinking a whey protein shake post workout which has only 2 grams of sugars in it and eating a meal about an hour later that includes carbs.

But I've read a few articles lately about how consuming simple sugars (high glycemic) immediately post workout can help drive more nutrients into the muscles. "Insulin spike"

Could I use regular table sugar in my post workout shake for this purpose and how much? I've seen pure dextrose for sale online but don't know if it's worth buying if regular table sugar can get the job done.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Not saying how valid the principle of using sugars to spike insulin is, but the school of thought is that dextrose is virtually bioidentical to glucose, only dextrose is produced from corn (if I recall correctly).
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    don't use table sugar. it contains fructose which doesn't do shit for muscle glycogen. use dextrose or some other high molecular weight carb source like amleopectin.
    or keep it simple, just eat a white bagel with your post workout protein shake. heck even a pop tart will do the trick

tharris50 is offline New Member
    Z
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    don't use table sugar. it contains fructose which doesn't do shit for muscle glycogen. use dextrose or some other high molecular weight carb source like amleopectin.
    or keep it simple, just eat a white bagel with your post workout protein shake. heck even a pop tart will do the trick
    I've used pop tarts as well but mt favorite things is gummy bears..i remember years ago down at the Arnold classic in Ohio I was working out at metro fitness where the pros go. Wont name names but I witnessed guys passing around funny bears, skittles and Oreo cookies after their workout! I don't like oreos or skittles so I went w the gummys, lol

Quote Originally Posted by tharris50 View Post
    Z

I've used pop tarts as well but mt favorite things is gummy bears..i remember years ago down at the Arnold classic in Ohio I was working out at metro fitness where the pros go. Wont name names but I witnessed guys passing around funny bears, skittles and Oreo cookies after their workout! I don't like oreos or skittles so I went w the gummys, lol
    thats funny.
    but keep in mind (guys viewing this thread), one reason these guys are passing around the 'sugar' like that may be because they need it because they are taking exogenous insulin . I do the same thing when I take insulin pre and post workout. but instead of using gummy bears I simply use Amleopectin in the form of a drink
    almostgone likes this.

Realgear1226 is offline Junior Member
    So if I order some dextrose from Amazon, (unless you say their dextrose is junk). How many grams do you recommend and pre or post workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Realgear1226 View Post
    So if I order some dextrose from Amazon, (unless you say their dextrose is junk). How many grams do you recommend and pre or post workout?
    I wouldn't take it pre workout. you should have some carbs in your pre-workout meal an hour before workout anyways.. then use 20+ grams of dextrose during your workout (with EAA's and creatine) , then take another 20-40g about 40 mins after your workout with a whey protein isolate.
    Realgear1226 likes this.

Realgear1226 is offline Junior Member
    Awesome sounds good. I appreciate the info.

Thread Information