Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Ideal post workout carb?

balance is offline Associate Member

Ideal post workout carb?

Looking for some suggestions as to ideal post workout carbs to replenish glycogen stores, aid in recovery, and maintain pump fullness? Looking for real food suggestions here not powders or gummy bears lol. Also what kind of quantities are you all ingesting (I know this is mostly person specific so list your weight if you like to give a good idea).

Thank you
    b

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Post workout? I recommend 40 grams of gummy bears FTW
    German89 and balance like this.

German89 is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    Post workout? I recommend 40 grams of gummy bears FTW
    I have lucky charms preworkout. I dont fuck with post workout carbs
    Obs and balance like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by German89 View Post
    LMAO, you would definitely get along with Mrs. AG. Her favorite cereal growing up was Kaboom, but they don't make it anymore.

Here's a copy and paste of the review of Kaboom cereal on Amazon.

Kaboom Cereal leads to happy clown faces drenched in highly saturated, weapons-grade food coloring. Marshmallow stars provide a secondary buzz. After a few bites of Kaboom, you could control hummingbirds with your mind and see all the way to the edge of the universe. Kaboom turned milk an interesting shade of grayish purple.
    Obs and balance like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Well piced up a sack of gummy bears. Honestly can’t believe there are not some better whole food options for achieving what this candy does.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by German89 View Post
    You got me buying superbags of knock off lucky charms. "Marsmallow glitters" and "marshmallow mateys".

Goes great with slin
    HoldMyBeer and balance like this.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    Well piced up a sack of gummy bears. Honestly can’t believe there are not some better whole food options for achieving what this candy does.
    You're trying to replace you're glycogen stores in your muscles. I personally crash a couple hours after a workout if I don't.
    You can use dextrose
    Maybe fruit? Not too sure.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
    balance likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    You're trying to replace you're glycogen stores in your muscles. I personally crash a couple hours after a workout if I don't.
    You can use dextrose
    Maybe fruit? Not too sure.
    dextrose works..
    fruit is not ideal though. As it contains a lot of fructose, and fructose is a 'sugar' that cannot be stored as glycogen in muscle cells, its mainly only stored in the liver
    HoldMyBeer and balance like this.

for me , 2 pop tarts post workout . thats 80g of carbs and fast and convenient and more then covers my insulin . as well as 40g of whey.
    HoldMyBeer, Obs and balance like this.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    I wouldn’t use any carbs immediately. 30-40g WPI within 30 mins maybe and then eat a whole meal 30-60 minutes later.

Now, if you take insulin there is every need for those sugary carbs but I don’t so I don’t need that insulin spike that the supplement companies claim I need.

Save your money spend it on real food or more gear.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thank you everyone for the input.

BIB
    I don’t mess with slin. Up until now I have always avoided sugar in my diet except for 1-2 pieces of fruit daily. Post workout I have been doing 5 egg whites,2 whole eggs, 1 whole banana, and 3/4 cup of basmati (white) rice. Actually eat this for second meal after work out too usually. Upon more reading I’m the past folks have been really stressing the need for sugars to spice insulin post workout and shuttle nutrients and glycogen back into the muscle. So I thought I would give it a try. Thing is I have recently reached my goal weight of 200lbs (I’m 6”) however I’m carrying about 2-4% more body fat that what I want so adding these sugars in really has me second guessing all of this (just as you mentioned). Oh well I really appreciate everyone’s input. Here’s s couple pics of my post workout eggs and rice mix along with some new sugar sources.

PS I haven’t bought sugar crap like gummies and pop tarts for myself in over 3 years and it really does feel strange eating this crap, not to mention I find the gummy bears down right nasty.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD3B1837-AECC-4996-B54F-A9BE6A5A2830.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	946.7 KB 
ID:	174509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCAACE19-9C30-4CDD-B6B2-1677048AF441.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	846.0 KB 
ID:	174510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F5E806D-19DC-473A-A7CE-E09E8E890BA2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	174511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348AEA17-59F7-4657-8176-39FE93A4655E.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	638.1 KB 
ID:	174512
    Last edited by balance; 10-16-2018 at 12:43 PM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for the input.

BIB
    I don’t mess with slin. Up until now I have always avoided sugar in my diet except for 1-2 pieces of fruit daily. Post workout I have been doing 5 egg whites,2 whole eggs, 1 whole banana, and 3/4 cup of basmati (white) rice. Actually eat this for second meal after work out too usually. Upon more reading I’m the past folks have been really stressing the need for sugars to spice insulin post workout and shuttle nutrients and glycogen back into the muscle. So I thought I would give it a try. Thing is I have recently reached my goal weight of 200lbs (I’m 6”) however I’m carrying about 2-4% more body fat that what I want so adding these sugars in really has me second guessing all of this (just as you mentioned). Oh well I really appreciate everyone’s input. Here’s s couple pics of my post workout eggs and rice mix along with some new sugar sources.

PS I haven’t bought sugar crap like gummies and pop tarts for myself in over 3 years and it really does feel strange eating this crap, not to mention I find the gummy bears down right nasty.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD3B1837-AECC-4996-B54F-A9BE6A5A2830.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	946.7 KB 
ID:	174509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCAACE19-9C30-4CDD-B6B2-1677048AF441.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	846.0 KB 
ID:	174510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F5E806D-19DC-473A-A7CE-E09E8E890BA2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	174511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348AEA17-59F7-4657-8176-39FE93A4655E.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	638.1 KB 
ID:	174512
    When I use to compete and before my Keto days and wasn’t a fatty I would have 2 scoops of cookies and cream icecream which was about 50-70gr of carbs if I remember post work out. I put that in my ninja bullet with 40gr of whey and whatever else and blended it up into a post workout smoothie. Dextrose is glucose just a fancy name so why spend extra money on buying a post workout dextrose source when you could have wonderful icecream instead!
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 10-16-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    balance and shaunjohn242002 like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    When I use to compete and before my Keto days and wasn’t a fatty I would have 2 scoops of cookies and cream icecream which was about 50-70gr of carbs if I remember post work out. I put that in my ninja bullet with 40gr of whey and whatever else and blended it up into a post workout smoothie. Dextrose is glucose just a fancy name so why spend extra money on buying a post workout dextrose source when you could have wonderful icecream instead!
    That’s an easy way to add sugar to wpi shake for sure. Thing is I was under the impression milk based proteins slow down digestion system (which would be good before bed I suppose, however sugar then is not ideal for most) however post workout I tend to try to get a bunch of food moving through. I’m sure this is totally splitting hairs here and honestly big picture I have so many other places to help improve my physique.

I tend to prep my first 3 meals in the AM, makes it easier on me and my schedule. On days I don’t have the eggs prepped I usually bring a WPI with me to gym and consume directly after lifting. Sometimes I just drink the egg whites only (pasteurized) directly from the bottle but I have noticed this tends to get me bloated a good bit which really makes me wonder how much of the egg protein is truly getting digested and becomes useable.

Funny you mentioned keto. I ran that for about 4 months last summer. I definitely leaned out big time but gained no muscle, was lethargic and needed copious amounts off coffee to power through day, not to mention my lipid profile was seriously trashed afterwards. I will say though it taught me a lot of discipline carb wise, even now I only average 250-300 grams of carbs per day (this includes lots of vegetables too). I have been tracking/weighing my consumption for a couple years now.

Thanks again everyone for any and all help I really appreciate alll the tips and learning.

b

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    You got me buying superbags of knock off lucky charms. "Marsmallow glitters" and "marshmallow mateys".

Goes great with slin
    Matey's. Hehe

Here

Cereal Marshmallows

Bulk lucky charms marshmallow sales
    Attachment 174516
    Attachment 174517

I like to use about 15 Parts marshmallows to 1 part kix or alphabets
    Last edited by Couchlockd; 10-16-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    balance and Chrisp83TRT like this.

Lol couch!
    I didn’t even know that was a thing. Guy actually bought semi truck full of just the marshmallows!

Someone finally stole all the lucky charms...
    Last edited by balance; 10-16-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    That’s an easy way to add sugar to wpi shake for sure. Thing is I was under the impression milk based proteins slow down digestion system (which would be good before bed I suppose, however sugar then is not ideal for most) however post workout I tend to try to get a bunch of food moving through. I’m sure this is totally splitting hairs here and honestly big picture I have so many other places to help improve my physique.

I tend to prep my first 3 meals in the AM, makes it easier on me and my schedule. On days I don’t have the eggs prepped I usually bring a WPI with me to gym and consume directly after lifting. Sometimes I just drink the egg whites only (pasteurized) directly from the bottle but I have noticed this tends to get me bloated a good bit which really makes me wonder how much of the egg protein is truly getting digested and becomes useable.

Funny you mentioned keto. I ran that for about 4 months last summer. I definitely leaned out big time but gained no muscle, was lethargic and needed copious amounts off coffee to power through day, not to mention my lipid profile was seriously trashed afterwards. I will say though it taught me a lot of discipline carb wise, even now I only average 250-300 grams of carbs per day (this includes lots of vegetables too). I have been tracking/weighing my consumption for a couple years now.

Thanks again everyone for any and all help I really appreciate alll the tips and learning.

b
    Dairy hs a mixture or slow and fast acting proteins in casien and whey respectively. One of the best post workout papers and most highly cited among other researchers was a study on chocolate milk and if being the best PWO meal option. I kid you not!

Keto isn’t for everyone like any dieting philosophy and you have to find what your body will react too. But for me, once I was fat adapted. I had energy for days and could lift twice a day and do HIIT. I could never do that on a higher carb diet. I put on mass, and was looking pretty jacked. I would every 2 or 3 week put in a carb up day. I eventually stopped those cause it actually killed my pumps.

Keto diet actually causes the muscles to store MORE glycogen in the muscles over time in order to help meet energy demands and as a by product of fat adaptation. You need a little bit of the glycogen to facilitate fat oxidation in the mitochondria, or at least that is one mechanism theorized to explain the adaptation based on the known biochemistry.
    GearHeaded likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Dairy hs a mixture or slow and fast acting proteins in casien and whey respectively. One of the best post workout papers and most highly cited among other researchers was a study on chocolate milk and if being the best PWO meal option. I kid you not!

Keto isn’t for everyone like any dieting philosophy and you have to find what your body will react too. But for me, once I was fat adapted. I had energy for days and could lift twice a day and do HIIT. I could never do that on a higher carb diet. I put on mass, and was looking pretty jacked. I would every 2 or 3 week put in a carb up day. I eventually stopped those cause it actually killed my pumps.

Keto diet actually causes the muscles to store MORE glycogen in the muscles over time in order to help meet energy demands and as a by product of fat adaptation. You need a little bit of the glycogen to facilitate fat oxidation in the mitochondria, or at least that is one mechanism theorized to explain the adaptation based on the known biochemistry.

hmm.. this post has me brain storming a Dnp , insulin , keto protocol .. interesting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    hmm.. this post has me brain storming a Dnp , insulin , keto protocol .. interesting
    I use to be scared to death of DNP but now it intrigues me. Mainly because my body has changed to where what I use to do to lean up doesn’t work anymore and I get fat fast as fudge now...lol
    GearHeaded likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

I use to be scared to death of DNP but now it intrigues me. Mainly because my body has changed to where what I use to do to lean up doesn’t work anymore and I get fat fast as fudge now...lol
    I actually think theres probably some synergy there with Dnp and keto .. plus the idea of even in keto your body is still holding onto muscle glycogen and even more of it over time , theres where insulin can help (and theres already awesome synergy between dnp and insulin).
    I'll have to think about this a bit , but yeah I think keto and Dnp could work quite well together.. even think Dnp could help mitigate some of the 'few' negative aspects of keto , and the slin enhance that even more.

well your already on keto, your already intrigued about Dnp . you ready to step up to the plate and play 'guniea pig'
    Chrisp83TRT likes this.

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    EVERYTHING !!!!! Ahhhhh! HAha

Nah , I usually have sweet potatoes, brown or jasmine rice.
    This is the only time of the day I’ll have something that would be considered a “cheat” meal or snack.
    This is the time your body needs the most goodies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp83TRT View Post
    EVERYTHING !!!!! Ahhhhh! HAha

Nah , I usually have sweet potatoes, brown or jasmine rice.
    This is the only time of the day I’ll have something that would be considered a “cheat” meal or snack.
    This is the time your body needs the most goodies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man I wish I could be like you all and eat sweet potatoes. For some reason when its food time I cant do sweet anything. I hear they are great carbs but I do rice or standard potatoe.

Blog Entries
    I actually think theres probably some synergy there with Dnp and keto .. plus the idea of even in keto your body is still holding onto muscle glycogen and even more of it over time , theres where insulin can help (and theres already awesome synergy between dnp and insulin).
    I'll have to think about this a bit , but yeah I think keto and Dnp could work quite well together.. even think Dnp could help mitigate some of the 'few' negative aspects of keto , and the slin enhance that even more.

well your already on keto, your already intrigued about Dnp . you ready to step up to the plate and play 'guniea pig'
    I am trying my damndest to get back on Keto. Had some work stuff kick me in the ass and haven’t been able to stay disciplined with all the stress. I’m working on it though.

I do think I’m going to do time restricted carb eating though. Only pre and post workout carbs. I didn’t seem too put mass on my legs like normal when I was Keto. But I also wasn’t able to do heavy squats with my groin problem either.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    Man I wish I could be like you all and eat sweet potatoes. For some reason when its food time I cant do sweet anything. I hear they are great carbs but I do rice or standard potatoe.

If you eat white potatoes cold the starch forms resistant bonds and you can’t digest them. And actually most diet gurus are favoring back to white potatoes.
    Obs likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

If you eat white potatoes cold the starch forms resistant bonds and you can’t digest them. And actually most diet gurus are favoring back to white potatoes.
    So white is gtg?

Obs
    Why in the hell would I eat cold potatoes?
    I do it for the carbs though I realize they arent a very effective carb.

If I had you or GH as a meal prepper I would be 250 in a month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    So white is gtg?
    Yep!

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

almost every diet I've ever written for clients, from soccer moms to bodybuilders, has included white rice and white potatoes . however ALL my diets are designed around meal TIMING. . . white rice and white potatoes get carbs in much more quickly and efficient, when needed, compared to brown rice and sweet potatoes (which take time to digest, and some people have a hard time with things like brown rice because of the husk still being on).

E.g.,
    I'll have a client who works out in the late afternoon take in sweet potatoes in the morning. but in the evening post workout it will be a white potato when glute-4 levels in the body are high

Obs
    Yep!
    I am so confused right now.

Blog Entries
    Why in the hell would I eat cold potatoes?
    I do it for the carbs though I realize they arent a very effective carb.

If I had you or GH as a meal prepper I would be 250 in a month.
    Dude, diet has and always will be my biggest downfall. That’s why I loved powerlifting because I could eat what I wanted. I lucked out when I was younger and had great genetics for getting lean. The problem is I picked up bad bad habits that are hard to break.
    Obs likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries

Google white potatoes and resistant carbs or starches.
    Obs likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Obs
    almost every diet I've ever written for clients, from soccer moms to bodybuilders, has included white rice and white potatoes . however ALL my diets are designed around meal TIMING. . . white rice and white potatoes get carbs in much more quickly and efficient, when needed, compared to brown rice and sweet potatoes (which take time to digest, and some people have a hard time with things like brown rice because of the husk still being on).

E.g.,
    I'll have a client who works out in the late afternoon take in sweet potatoes in the morning. but in the evening post workout it will be a white potato when glute-4 levels in the body are high
    I was under the impression white potatoes weren't that great.
    I thought rice was much better. More proof I dont diet very well.

don't be , just keep your potatoes in a root cellar or a cooler and you'll be gtg

Obs
    Google white potatoes and resistant carbs or starches.
    I automatically took resistant to digestion to mean shiddy for building.

Obs
    don't be , just keep your potatoes in a root cellar or a cooler and you'll be gtg
    I aint eatin cold potatoes!
    Hell with that business.
    I draw the line at cold pizza.

I was under the impression white potatoes weren't that great..
    white potatoes are awesome .. especially for a bodybuilder who is utilizing insulin . why. because of the fast acting carbs, but also because they contain like 5x more potassium then a banana. white potato is essential source of potassium. AND when we run insulin this is what happens--

blood potassium is used by insulin in order to 'open' the cell to drive in glycogen and nutrients, that potassium is then removed from the blood stream. so you can imagine over time running lots of insulin your blood levels of potassium will begin to drop. this can be WAY more dangerous then going hypoglycemic . you will go HypoKalemic, when blood potassium drops to low. your body will shut down and your heart will stop, or your heart can go into arrhythmia and cause a possible heart attack.

potatoes are a key macro for any insulin using bodybuilder , imo.

you get your carbs and your life sustaining potassium in one easy meal
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    What if I heat up my cold potatoes and cook them!?

I can do that!

Blog Entries
    I was under the impression white potatoes weren't that great.
    I thought rice was much better. More proof I dont diet very well.
    That’s been the bodybuilding bro science for so long. But when you look at how white potatoes actually react and are absorbed in the body. Their GI and GL are not functionally the same as they say on paper.

In reality, there a very few “bad,” foods as long as you hit your macro goals. It’s just that fast foods for example are extremely energy dense and don’t fill a person up so they can either over eat because they are not full or are visually deceived by how small say a cookie looks but is nearly 300 calories verse say and apple that twice as big and is 110calories.
    Obs likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

I automatically took resistant to digestion to mean shiddy for building.
    So did I that's why I asked if they were good to go. so that means if some starches are resistant to digestion that means they're not broken down and can be used more efficiently as fuel for the muscles because they're still starches and not digested and not starches?
    Obs likes this.

Blog Entries
    What if I heat up my cold potatoes and cook them!?

I can do that!

Yep, you found where I was going with that...lol

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    So did I that's why I asked if they were good to go. so that means if some starches are resistant to digestion that means they're not broken down and can be used more efficiently as fuel for the muscles because they're still starches and not digested and not starches?
    Fuck this shit I was getting somewhere until this.
    I am going to sonic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information