Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TooManyYears
  • 2 Post By Charlie67

Thread: Post workout meal

coyote2017 is offline New Member

Post workout meal

Have been asking a few questions on diet board as I am trying to tweak my diet. Im 52 and still gaining muscle. Been trying to get rid of belly fat. Fat has disappeared from everywhere else for the most part. "Visceral" is being stubborn. Trying not to lose muscle. I understand why we want some simple sugars after a workout. I may be over doing it though. Anyone have an optimal idea just how much simple carbs should be ingested? I sometimes hit Taco Johns after a heavy leg or back workout. A small real Coke for simple sugar, 50 gr protein, 100g slower carbs and some fat. Is that way too much? Should I just have protein drink and some fruit or something? Thx.

TooManyYears is offline New Member
    We do want some simple carbs after training. 40 grams of whey with 40 grams of simple carbs immediately after workout to take the most advantage of the anabolic state. That's your post workout meal.
    You also have a post post workout meal. These should, in my opinion, consist of some protein, (lots of) slow carbs and some fat,
    About the belly fat. this is the hardest to get rid of. Lower natural testosterone level and stress (with a higher cortisol level as a result) play a roll.
    Maybe you can try low intensity cardio. But I think you should not eat less to avoid loss of muscle.
    Family_guy likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    "Optimal" is a tough answer to get for something that is so person-dependent. Like you, there are some parts of my diet that I'm just not sure about but I know that trial and error is the only way I'm going to get there. So I don't have an answer for you specifically about how many simple carbs you need post-workout, and likely anyone else is just guessing as well. Not to mention, any answer would need to be taken in context of your overall diet plan, such as total daily calories.

But for fun conversation... I'm a few years younger then you, currently sitting at about 240, 6'1". I shoot for about 60-90grams post-workout of ANY carbs. Sometimes its bread, or rice, oats, occasionally granola or taco shells (not from Taco Johns sadly). I think that post-workout is maybe one of the few times you can get away with eating the "bad" carbs without much harm.

I also tend to think that stubborn fat stores, that deep viceral fat, is just something you have to diet down and lose the old fashioned way (cardio, good diet), not something that is going to necessarily be carb-type dependent. One issue with getting that lean is the loss of muscle, and the fact that life sucks when your that lean. but it may be what you need to do to loss that last bit of stubborn fat.

Either way, if you're to the point where 30-50 grams of carbs post-workout are all you need to dial in, then you are likely doing great!

Best of luck in your quest.
    C-
    Ephemeral and Family_guy like this.

coyote2017 is offline New Member
    Thx all

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    "Optimal" is a tough answer to get for something that is so person-dependent. Like you, there are some parts of my diet that I'm just not sure about but I know that trial and error is the only way I'm going to get there. So I don't have an answer for you specifically about how many simple carbs you need post-workout, and likely anyone else is just guessing as well. Not to mention, any answer would need to be taken in context of your overall diet plan, such as total daily calories.

But for fun conversation... I'm a few years younger then you, currently sitting at about 240, 6'1". I shoot for about 60-90grams post-workout of ANY carbs. Sometimes its bread, or rice, oats, occasionally granola or taco shells (not from Taco Johns sadly). I think that post-workout is maybe one of the few times you can get away with eating the "bad" carbs without much harm.

I also tend to think that stubborn fat stores, that deep viceral fat, is just something you have to diet down and lose the old fashioned way (cardio, good diet), not something that is going to necessarily be carb-type dependent. One issue with getting that lean is the loss of muscle, and the fact that life sucks when your that lean. but it may be what you need to do to loss that last bit of stubborn fat.

Either way, if you're to the point where 30-50 grams of carbs post-workout are all you need to dial in, then you are likely doing great!

Best of luck in your quest.
    C-
    I say your right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information