Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Livinlean
  • 1 Post By ampx
  • 1 Post By ampx
  • 1 Post By balance

Thread: Cream of rice.

  1. #1
    ampx's Avatar
    ampx is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    132

    Cream of rice.

    Does anyone ever just mix it with their protein powder and drink it without cooking it to help it down fast?

  2. #2
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    6,094
    I do this with quick oats, but never have tried cream of rice that way.. it should work, or you can just throw in unflavored carb powder
    Livinlean likes this.

  3. #3
    Livinlean's Avatar
    Livinlean is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    834
    I've done that many times. Oats don't sit well with me so I just add cream of rice in its place to my shakes.

  4. #4
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    6,094
    hows the texture ? does it get real thick when adding the cream of rice ?

  5. #5
    Livinlean's Avatar
    Livinlean is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    hows the texture ? does it get real thick when adding the cream of rice ?
    Its thinner than oats for sure. I drink it right after blending, i'm not sure if the consistency would change if i were to let it sit.

    Ive said cream of wheat before as well which is also thicker than cream of rice. I can't even really notice it in the shake to be honest, it goes down easy.
    GearHeaded likes this.

  6. #6
    ampx's Avatar
    ampx is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    132
    Didnt bother me at all drinking it. I worry that like white rice it doesn't yield the same nutrients raw as it does cooked.
    balance likes this.

  7. #7
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ampx View Post
    Didnt bother me at all drinking it. I worry that like white rice it doesn't yield the same nutrients raw as it does cooked.
    its a processed 'instant rice' to begin with , so its micro nutrient profile is already non existent.. your just taking it in for carbs and nothing more.. for more nutrients you'll want to look at potatos and grains

  8. #8
    ampx's Avatar
    ampx is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    132
    No carb count is exactly what in looking for. Just want to make sure its still 72 carbs for a half uncooked cup raw vs cooked
    balance likes this.

  9. #9
    Ashop's Avatar
    Ashop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,609
    Quote Originally Posted by ampx View Post
    Does anyone ever just mix it with their protein powder and drink it without cooking it to help it down fast?
    I've done it numerous times but not without cooking it. I see no valid reason you couldn't do it either way.

  10. #10
    balance is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by ampx View Post
    No carb count is exactly what in looking for. Just want to make sure its still 72 carbs for a half uncooked cup raw vs cooked
    Actually this raises I believe a valid point. I’m pretty certain carb sources macro breakdown and GI rating can actually be effected if the item is uncooked, pretty sure this applies to both rice and oatmeal. Iirc from reading in the past when the source is uncooked basically a larger amount is now indigestible (fiber).

    This actually also applies to certain carb sources that are cooked and then allowed to cool (become relatively cold), like rice. If you have tried eating cooked rice that has been sitting in the refrigerator it is noticeably different.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GearHeaded likes this.

  11. #11
    GearHeaded's Avatar
    GearHeaded is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    Actually this raises I believe a valid point. I’m pretty certain carb sources macro breakdown and GI rating can actually be effected if the item is uncooked, pretty sure this applies to both rice and oatmeal. Iirc from reading in the past when the source is uncooked basically a larger amount is now indigestible (fiber).

    This actually also applies to certain carb sources that are cooked and then allowed to cool (become relatively cold), like rice. If you have tried eating cooked rice that has been sitting in the refrigerator it is noticeably different.
    this applies to starchy carbs like potatos as well . potatoes cooked and eaten are going to have a different carb content (really has to do with glycemic load) then potatoes that are cooled off and reheated..

    but in regards to the subject at hand . instant cream of rice is already pre cooked in the processing process. it does not have to be cooked at all (of course it tastes better warmed up in the microwave) . the carb value listed on the box is the carb value of whats in the box (and its processed as a non fibrous carb with 0 fiber).
    so wither you mix it with water and eat it , mix it with water and warm it up in the microwave, or you throw it in a protein shake . it should be all the same content and fully able to be assimilated


    but the point about 'un cooked' rice . or unprocessed rice .. is definitely something to consider. same with uncooked oats (compared to instant oats)
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 10-13-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •