• 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Livinlean
  • 1 Post By ampx
  • 1 Post By ampx
  • 1 Post By balance

Thread: Cream of rice.

ampx is offline Junior Member

Cream of rice.

Does anyone ever just mix it with their protein powder and drink it without cooking it to help it down fast?

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I do this with quick oats, but never have tried cream of rice that way.. it should work, or you can just throw in unflavored carb powder
    Livinlean likes this.

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've done that many times. Oats don't sit well with me so I just add cream of rice in its place to my shakes.

hows the texture ? does it get real thick when adding the cream of rice ?

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    hows the texture ? does it get real thick when adding the cream of rice ?
    Its thinner than oats for sure. I drink it right after blending, i'm not sure if the consistency would change if i were to let it sit.

Ive said cream of wheat before as well which is also thicker than cream of rice. I can't even really notice it in the shake to be honest, it goes down easy.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Didnt bother me at all drinking it. I worry that like white rice it doesn't yield the same nutrients raw as it does cooked.
    balance likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ampx View Post
    Didnt bother me at all drinking it. I worry that like white rice it doesn't yield the same nutrients raw as it does cooked.
    its a processed 'instant rice' to begin with , so its micro nutrient profile is already non existent.. your just taking it in for carbs and nothing more.. for more nutrients you'll want to look at potatos and grains

No carb count is exactly what in looking for. Just want to make sure its still 72 carbs for a half uncooked cup raw vs cooked
    balance likes this.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Does anyone ever just mix it with their protein powder and drink it without cooking it to help it down fast?
    I've done it numerous times but not without cooking it. I see no valid reason you couldn't do it either way.

balance is offline Associate Member
    No carb count is exactly what in looking for. Just want to make sure its still 72 carbs for a half uncooked cup raw vs cooked
    Actually this raises I believe a valid point. I’m pretty certain carb sources macro breakdown and GI rating can actually be effected if the item is uncooked, pretty sure this applies to both rice and oatmeal. Iirc from reading in the past when the source is uncooked basically a larger amount is now indigestible (fiber).

This actually also applies to certain carb sources that are cooked and then allowed to cool (become relatively cold), like rice. If you have tried eating cooked rice that has been sitting in the refrigerator it is noticeably different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GearHeaded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by balance View Post
    Actually this raises I believe a valid point. I’m pretty certain carb sources macro breakdown and GI rating can actually be effected if the item is uncooked, pretty sure this applies to both rice and oatmeal. Iirc from reading in the past when the source is uncooked basically a larger amount is now indigestible (fiber).

This actually also applies to certain carb sources that are cooked and then allowed to cool (become relatively cold), like rice. If you have tried eating cooked rice that has been sitting in the refrigerator it is noticeably different.
    this applies to starchy carbs like potatos as well . potatoes cooked and eaten are going to have a different carb content (really has to do with glycemic load) then potatoes that are cooled off and reheated..

but in regards to the subject at hand . instant cream of rice is already pre cooked in the processing process. it does not have to be cooked at all (of course it tastes better warmed up in the microwave) . the carb value listed on the box is the carb value of whats in the box (and its processed as a non fibrous carb with 0 fiber).
    so wither you mix it with water and eat it , mix it with water and warm it up in the microwave, or you throw it in a protein shake . it should be all the same content and fully able to be assimilated

but the point about 'un cooked' rice . or unprocessed rice .. is definitely something to consider. same with uncooked oats (compared to instant oats)
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 10-13-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Thread Information