Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere

Thread: Calories in Chicken?

Mr. Small is offline Member

Calories in Chicken?

I always assumed that chicken was almost fat free meat, but when I Google it, the nutrition websites say that a 150g chicken fillet has 18 grams of fat and over 300 calories.

Is this about right or is it way off?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200822_205937_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	449.2 KB 
ID:	179777

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You need to be more specific on your google search. Look for "plain boneless skinless chicken breast nutrition". If it's "made with rib meat" there will be more fat than if not. - Still, not 18 grams of it. I'm assuming this was fried chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    You need to be more specific on your google search. Look for "plain boneless skinless chicken breast nutrition". If it's "made with rib meat" there will be more fat than if not. - Still, not 18 grams of it. I'm assuming this was fried chicken.
    Must be, I can't se 18 grams in a lean raw fillet

Just re-googled the skinless lean version and a 150g fillet yields around 150 cals with 30g of protein.

So crisis averted ��

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    Must be, I can't se 18 grams in a lean raw fillet
    Nope. It should be zero. Even with rib meat less than 3g.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    Nope. It should be zero. Even with rib meat less than 3g.
    That's what I was thinking, but I was panicking when I saw the website.

Thanks for the help.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member

Calories in Chicken?

That looks more like a thigh than anything.
    “Filet” is pretty damned vague.

ETA: it’s also entirely possible that it’s based on a whole chicken, which would actually be pretty close to accurate, though there’s obviously notable variance between animals.
    Mr. Small likes this.

SingNirvana is offline New Member
    Same here I thought chicken has less fat, got nervous when im reading the comments. And thanks guys for clarifying. I guess I will still have skinless breast.

Quote Originally Posted by SingNirvana View Post
    Same here I thought chicken has less fat, got nervous when im reading the comments. And thanks guys for clarifying. I guess I will still have skinless breast.
    Good choice, should have no fat whatsoever

AwareXx is offline Junior Member
    Chicken comes in many cuts, including breasts, thighs, wings and drumsticks. Each cut contains a different number of calories and a different proportion of protein to fat. The calorie in the chicken is lower when it is skinless.

Quote Originally Posted by AwareXx View Post
    Chicken comes in many cuts, including breasts, thighs, wings and drumsticks. Each cut contains a different number of calories and a different proportion of protein to fat. The calorie in the chicken is lower when it is skinless.
    I have lean chicken breast every time, so there's no added fat.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AwareXx View Post
    Unless you are competing, the difference is minimal and will not really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member

Calories in Chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Unless you are competing, the difference is minimal and will not really matter.

I wouldn’t call it minimal, no matter what the circumstance. Even skinless, you’re talking a difference of 95:5 (breast), 70:30 (thigh), and 60:40 (wing).
    That’s like saying there’s minimal difference between 96:4 ground beef and 73:27, when the difference is roughly 30-35% higher kcals in the latter, due to increased energy density from the lipids.
    In any world, 30-35% is pretty damned notable, especially when you consider the protein intakes of your average resistance training population member.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I wouldn’t call it minimal, no matter what the circumstance. Even skinless, you’re talking a difference of 95:5 (breast), 70:30 (thigh), and 60:40 (wing).
    That’s like saying there’s minimal difference between 96:4 ground beef and 73:27, when the difference is roughly 30-35% higher kcals in the latter, due to increased energy density from the lipids.
    In any world, 30-35% is pretty damned notable, especially when you consider the protein intakes of your average resistance training population member.

Agreed it is different however not everyone will eat the same meal everyday like us. LOL
    I am assuming that the individual is eating once or twice a week and is not tracking macros ( IOW- it fluctuates quite a bit). One chicken leg meat is like 160 calories.
    Once you start getting into the single digit body fat, that is where this can make a difference however I will substitute dark meat for chicken breast even in single digits and you will not see an increase in fat or weight.
    You would be surprised that altering your macros on paper will make you get fat, but in real life it doesn’t mean anything and your weight and fat stay the same. You do this repeatedly and yes you will see a difference build up.

davg is offline New Member
    The caloric value depends on whether there is skin, how it is cooked, what it is seasoned with, and whether there are additives. I love chicken and dishes with it, but sometimes I don't know how to calculate everything correctly myself.

Thread Information