Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    baz_101 is offline New Member

callin all vegetarians!!

I've just converted to the no meat approach, and now that I want to lose b'fat and increase lean muscle mass I have no idea how construct a low carb vege diet, other than to eat soya mornin, noon and night, can anyone help me with a 2500-3000cal low carb vege diet.....
    P.S. any recipes would be appreciated

BDTR is offline Retired
    Try some meat if you want to grow.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I see you eating lots of peanuts and natural peanut butter in the future.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I know there different levels of vegetarian, I take it that you've sworn off all meats or can you eat fish?

Yung Wun is offline Member
    how bout diary?? or did u give that up as well
    bodybuilding fitness forums hype muscle bodybuilders
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 08-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    I know there different levels of vegetarian, I take it that you've sworn off all meats or can you eat fish?
    I've given up fish as well, and it doesn't help that I'm lactose intol so I find milk products really screw me up.....I was told that reg park was vege and he was pretty big, wonder how he did it??

I never knew Reg was a veggin, huh, there's something new.

Bro I have no idea what to tell you but I'm going to look into it. I've a couple of friends that are hard core veggins, let me see if they can come up with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    I never knew Reg was a veggin, huh, there's something new.

Bro I have no idea what to tell you but I'm going to look into it. I've a couple of friends that are hard core veggins, let me see if they can come up with something.

respect bro

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Just curious here, why go vegetarian? Keep in mind your main(and since you cant handle dairy) protein source will be nuts and soy. And soy protein is great...if you are willing to submit your body to all the phytoestrogens in it. I'm not sure if your choice is due to a spiritual belief, or if it's an attempt at being health conscious. If it's the latter, just remember that there are places that sell meats that are not "hormone enhanced" if that's one of the issues you are looking at. Meat and fish and poultry contain amino acids that are unavailable anywhere in the vegetable world without an obscene amount of supplementation. Not to say that being a vegetarian and also being well built isn't feasible, it's just more difficult. And as far as I know Reg Park wasn't a vegetarian when he competed, he was just an advocate that a vegetarian COULD be a bodybuilder. I'm not smashing your idea, I'm sure there are plenty of vegetarians out there who are all for it, but these are just some things to think about.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Better get a big vial of vitamin B12.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Just curious here, why go vegetarian? Keep in mind your main(and since you cant handle dairy) protein source will be nuts and soy. And soy protein is great...if you are willing to submit your body to all the phytoestrogens in it. I'm not sure if your choice is due to a spiritual belief, or if it's an attempt at being health conscious. If it's the latter, just remember that there are places that sell meats that are not "hormone enhanced" if that's one of the issues you are looking at. Meat and fish and poultry contain amino acids that are unavailable anywhere in the vegetable world without an obscene amount of supplementation. Not to say that being a vegetarian and also being well built isn't feasible, it's just more difficult. And as far as I know Reg Park wasn't a vegetarian when he competed, he was just an advocate that a vegetarian COULD be a bodybuilder. I'm not smashing your idea, I'm sure there are plenty of vegetarians out there who are all for it, but these are just some things to think about.
    I have to give respect for the "spiritual belief" reason, normally I lie when people ask why I've turned vege, being a vegetarian is essential on the path to enlightenment its just that now I'm missin my six pack and want it back, I don't want to be enlightened and out of shape, its just sooo easy when you can eat meat to go lo carb and shed b'fat

Yung Wun is offline Member
    looks like nuts are gonna be ur best friend on this journey
    bodybuilding fitness forums hype muscle bodybuilders
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 08-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

This is gonna anger some vegetarians but I really don't mind; I think it's wrong for men with otherwise healthy physiological systems to be vegetarians. I mean to each his own path,and it has to be respected, but I honestly feel we were put here to eat meat. Or more specifically the meat was put here to be eaten by us. Man was eating meat since before they had even thought of "enlightenment by a higher power". They did it to make themselves strong, to survive, to nourish their bodies. I think we should be doing the same thing now. There's something primally good and righteous about eating a big fat read juicy steak. You can think of it in the same vein as darwinism and it applies here to you, my friend. Assuming you and a friend had the same genetics, workout schedule, intensity, etc... But one of you was a vegetarian, and one of you ate meat as a protein source, who do you think after the same amount of time would come out stronger, leaner, more aesthetic? Well the meat eater would trump you in all categories. And I assume this is the risk you are willing to take. To give up your right as a man to eat what was meant for you also entitles you to losing out on natures ultimate competition. But what can I say, that's just my opinion... I'm trying to save mankind, one vegetarian at a time.

Edit: If you INSIST on crossing over to the darkside pm me and ill send u a sample diet.
    Last edited by rambo; 08-16-2003 at 05:04 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea how you will get enough protein in, eating tons of soy is gonna be a bad idea, nuts don't count(incomplete proteins), no dairy, and if you can't have whey protein, thats really is gonna kill you. How bout eggs, can you have those?

I can see why some ppl would turn vegetarian as some animals are treated very cruely(i.e cows with udders hanging to the ground), maybe its just the price of capitalism. I know there is a BBer here and there that claim to be vegan and are fairly big, but there's no way guys like Bill Pearl could have gained all that mass while being a vegetarian, most of that mass had to have come before hand.

If you see the average vegan bodybuilder, you'll know why. As rambo alluded to, some vegetarian bodybuilders are just stupid, if you do find a couple smart ones you would probably glance at them and not see anything special, and then once you saw their daily workout routine and diet schedule you'd piss your pants.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a level 6 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Aren't animals and plants the same thing? Plants are just easier to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    HAHA. Good stuff.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Funny thread...........I guess.

****, my rib-eye's need flippin' on the grill!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

~SC~

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Funny thread...........I guess.

****, my rib-eye's need flippin' on the grill!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

~SC~
    you bastard

in all honesty check out www.t-mag.com and read up on some scientific articles as to why Soy Protein is terrible for you. Not just cuz the protein sucks but for reasons that make you wanna cry.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Easier to catch..............hahahahahahhahahhahaa

plants.. get it............ they can't run...........hyahahahhahahahha

sorry... the pain killers are still workin

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Aren't animals and plants the same thing? Plants are just easier to catch.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

LOL @ spy!

Bigs, yeah, me and soy never had a relationship to begin with,

~SC~

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Good stuff.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    vegans still exist?! i thought moby was the last one in existance..?

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Good stuff.
    Yeah, I never knew they had "levels" of vegetarianism.

I'm a level 0......I take whatever is standing, and when I eat it, it's already dead and lying down charbroiled on my plate, thus casting no shadow to be seen, therefore registering a level 0 on my scale.........no shadows!!!

~SC~

Dimes is offline Senior Member
    Ill take on any meat eater any day, guarantee you Id come out on top, know this is an old thread but since no one answered the challenge I am stepping up for the vegetarians.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    This is gonna anger some vegetarians but I really don't mind; I think it's wrong for men with otherwise healthy physiological systems to be vegetarians. I mean to each his own path,and it has to be respected, but I honestly feel we were put here to eat meat. Or more specifically the meat was put here to be eaten by us. Man was eating meat since before they had even thought of "enlightenment by a higher power". They did it to make themselves strong, to survive, to nourish their bodies. I think we should be doing the same thing now. There's something primally good and righteous about eating a big fat read juicy steak. You can think of it in the same vein as darwinism and it applies here to you, my friend. Assuming you and a friend had the same genetics, workout schedule, intensity, etc... But one of you was a vegetarian, and one of you ate meat as a protein source, who do you think after the same amount of time would come out stronger, leaner, more aesthetic? Well the meat eater would trump you in all categories. And I assume this is the risk you are willing to take. To give up your right as a man to eat what was meant for you also entitles you to losing out on natures ultimate competition. But what can I say, that's just my opinion... I'm trying to save mankind, one vegetarian at a time.

Edit: If you INSIST on crossing over to the darkside pm me and ill send u a sample diet.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    My internet dick is bigger than your's
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

internet dick, what?

This thread should D I E

~SC~

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimes
    Ill take on any meat eater any day, guarantee you Id come out on top, know this is an old thread but since no one answered the challenge I am stepping up for the vegetarians.
    yeah ok .

I play basketball and have beat them out a million times in all those categories, they usually just fatigue really quick or are slow, other than that, beat them out completely in wichever sport they want to play, because im healthier, thanks to a healthier diet.

I play basketball and have beat them out a million times in all those categories, they usually just fatigue really quick or are slow, other than that, beat them out completely in wichever sport they want to play, because im healthier, thanks to a healthier diet.
    I don't doubt you...but......I don't think too many front linemen, either defence or offence, are vegans. For brute strength and mass it has got to be hard for a vegan to stand toe to toe against a meat eater. Same for olympic weight lifters. Granted I'm sure sports which a lighter person is more suited such as track, soccer (football for my european bros) or pole vaulting a vegan diet could work well. Your life style dictates your diet, imho.

What do you want, a biscuit??

I'd say instead of talkin' so much smack about meat eaters, you should begin to post pics to show us what leaves/trees has done to make you a greek God.

~SC~

Read the whole thread Swolecat, I thought the vegetarians were the ones getting smashed. Im just putting a good word in for vegetarians, since their arent many on this board.

Veganism and the Issue of Protein

Can the vegan (strict vegetarian) diet provide enough protein for sound human health? The medical community agrees about the distinct health advantages of a vegan diet, but the protein question stays with us because animal products have been promoted by the industries that produce them, sell them, and want people to think of them as the best source of protein. This assumption is wrong and can be harmful, as a quick study of the facts about vegetable protein and nutrition shows.

The Importance of Protein
    Protein is essential to human health. Our bodies—hair, muscles, fingernails, and so on—are made up mostly of protein. As suggested by the differences between our muscles and our fingernails, not all proteins are alike. This is because differing combinations of any number of 20 amino acids may constitute a protein. In much the same way that the 26 letters of our alphabet serve to form millions of different words, the 20 amino acids serve to form different proteins.

Amino acids are a fundamental part of our diet. While half of the 20 can be manufactured by the human body, the other 10 cannot.1 These “essential amino acids” can easily be provided by a balanced vegan diet.

How Much Protein?
    As babies, our mothers’ milk provided the protein we needed to grow healthy and strong. Cow’s milk has about three times the amount of protein found in human breast milk. Once we start eating solid foods, non-animal sources can easily provide us with all the protein we need. Only 10 percent of the total calories consumed by the average human being need be in the form of protein.2 The Recommended Dietary Allowance for both men and women is 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight.3 People with special needs (such as pregnant women) are advised to get a little more. Vegans should not worry about getting enough protein; if you eat a reasonably varied diet and ingest sufficient calories, you will undoubtedly get enough protein. Protein deficiency, or “kwashiorkor,” is very rare in the U.S. and is usually diagnosed in people living in countries suffering from famine.4

By contrast, eating too much animal protein has been directly linked to the formation of kidney stones and has been associated with cancer of the colon and liver.5,6 By replacing animal protein with vegetable protein, you can improve your health while enjoying a wide variety of delicious foods.

Protein Sources
    While just about every vegetarian food contains some protein, the soybean deserves special mention, for it contains all the essential amino acids and surpasses all other food plants in the amount of protein that it can deliver to the human system. In this regard, it is nearly equal to meat. The human body is able to digest 92 percent of the protein found in meat and 91 percent of that found in soybeans.7 The many different and delicious soy products (such as tempeh, soy “hot dogs” and “burgers,” Tofutti brand “ice cream,” soy milk, and tofu) available in health and grocery stores suggest that the soybean, in its many forms, can accommodate a wide range of tastes.

Other rich sources of non-animal protein include legumes, nuts, seeds, yeast, and freshwater algae. Although food yeasts (“nutritional yeast” and “brewer’s yeast”) do not lend themselves to forming the center of one’s diet, they are extremely nutritious additions to most menus (in soups, gravies, breads, casseroles, and dips). Most yeasts get about 50 percent of their calories from protein.8

Percentage of Calories From Protein
    (Value per 100 Grams Edible Portion, From USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 2003)9

LEGUMES
    Garbanzo beans
    Kidney beans
    Lentils
    Lima beans
    Navy beans
    Soybeans
    Split peas 21%
    58%
    34%
    24%
    37%
    35%
    29%

GRAINS
    Barley
    Brown rice Buckwheat
    Millet
    Oatmeal
    Rye
    Wheat germ
    Wheat, hard red
    Wild rice

14%
    8%
    15%
    12%
    17%
    18%
    26%
    15%
    16%
    VEGETABLES
    Artichokes
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts Cabbage
    Cauliflower Cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Green peas
    Green pepper
    Kale
    Lettuce
    Mushrooms Mustard greens
    Onions
    Potatoes
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Turnip greens
    Watercress
    Yams
    Zucchini
    28%
    15%
    33%
    31%
    24%
    32%
    17%
    17%
    27%
    17%
    26%
    36%
    56%
    41%
    9%
    18%
    50%
    19%
    20%
    84%
    5%
    30%

FRUITS
    Apple
    Banana
    Cantaloupe
    Grape
    Grapefruit
    Honeydew melon
    Orange
    Papaya
    Peach
    Pear
    Pineapple
    Strawberry
    Tangerine
    Watermelon
    2%
    5%
    10%
    4%
    8%
    6%
    8%
    6%
    9%
    3%
    4%
    8%
    6%
    8%
    NUTS AND SEEDS
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Filberts
    Peanuts
    Pumpkin seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Sunflower seeds
    Walnuts, black
    15%
    13%
    9%
    18%
    18%
    12%
    16%
    15%

As the above chart demonstrates, protein deficiency need not be a concern for vegans. If we ate nothing but wheat, oatmeal, or potatoes, we would easily take in more than enough protein.

Of course, an actual vegan would never want to be limited to just one food. The vegan diet can (and should) be full of a wide variety of delicious foods. Call 1-888-VEG-FOOD for some recipes and cooking tips to get you and your family started.

References
    1 University of Arizona, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, “Amino Acids Problem Set,” The Biology Project, 25 Aug. 2003.
    2 Paula Kurtzweil, “‘Daily Values’ Encourage Healthy Diet,” U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2003.
    3 Food and Nutrition Board, “Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrates, Fiber, Fat, Protein and Amino Acids (Macronutrients),” National Academy of Sciences (2002): 10-1.
    4 U.S. National Library and the National Institutes of Health, “Kwashiorkor,” MEDLINEplus Medical Encyclopedia, 11 Jul. 2002.
    5 Gary C. Curhan et al., “A Prospective Study of Dietary Calcium and Other Nutrients and the Risk of Symptomatic Kidney Stones,” The New England Journal of Medicine 328 (1993): 833-8.
    6 Kathleen M. Stadler, “The Diet and Cancer Connection,” Virginia Tech, Nov. 1997.
    7 Gertjan Schaafsma, “The Protein Digestiblity-Corrected Amino Acid Score,” Journal of Nutrition 130 (2000):1865S-1867S.
    8 USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, “Leavening Agents, Yeast, Baker’s, Active Dry,” 16 Jul. 2003.
    9 Agricultural Research Service, “Nutrient Data Laboratory,” United States Department of Agricultu

since their arent many on this board.
    Now why do you think that is?

All good, I've nothing against vegetarians brutha. It's just funny to hear people say meat is unhealthy. That's like saying all white people can't dance.

It's a blanket statement at best, w/no tactile validity whatsoever.

~SC~

Well, because of the millions of comercial on tv and the ubbringing in familys that eat meat, etc, its a meat eating world, but alot of people are changing to a vegetarian diet.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...ght=VEGETARIAN those are my reasons for going vegetarian persoanlly.

millions of comercial on tv and the ubbringing in familys that eat meat, et
    Say what? I can't make sense of most of your paragraphs I'm afraid.

All good bro, like I said to each his own. You don't like meat, that's fine, more juicy rib-eye's for me!

Matter of fact, that's what I'm eating post-surgery for lunch today! YUMMY!

~SC~

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...ght=VEGETARIAN rad that thread so you can understand.

And meat is unhealthy and not only to us, hope you understand this ...

There's little doubt anymore that vegetarianism is going mainstream. In the United States alone, more than 12 million people are vegetarians, and 19,000 more make the switch to a meat-free diet every week. Many others have greatly reduced the amount of animal products they eat.(1)

Many people eliminate animal foods from their diet because of health concerns. According to Cornell University's Dr. T. Colin Campbell, director of the renowned "China Project" (a long-term study of the relationship between diet and health), "The vast majority, perhaps 80 percent to 90 percent, of all cancers, cardiovascular diseases, and other forms of degenerative illness can be prevented, at least until very old age, simply by adopting a plant-based diet."(2) In study after study, the consumption of animal foods has been linked with heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and other illnesses. One reason may be because animals are routinely given growth hormones, antibiotics, and even pesticides, which remain in their flesh and are passed on to meat-eaters.

Other people become vegetarians out of concern for animal welfare. On today's factory farms, animals often spend their entire lives confined to cages or stalls barely larger than their own bodies. Death for these animals doesn't always come quickly—or painlessly. House of Representatives Agriculture Committee member George E. Brown has written that to keep production lines moving, slaughterhouse employees "often find themselves resorting to unbelievable brutality. ... Slaughter workers admit to routinely strangling, beating, scalding, skinning and dismembering fully conscious animals."(3) Every year, nearly 9 billion animals are killed for food in the United States alone.

Animals aren't the only victims in slaughterhouses. Workers commonly suffer from repetitive-stress disorders such as carpal tunnel syndrome, as well as injuries to their backs, necks, shoulders, and hands. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the meat industry has one of the worst records in terms of on-the-job injuries.(4)

Reducing health risks and eliminating animal suffering are just two reasons to go vegetarian; adopting a plant-based diet can also help protect the environment and feed the hungry.

Ecological Arguments

In 1996, U.S. factory farms produced 1.4 billion tons of animal waste—130 times more than humans did.(5) The waste produced in a single year would fill 6.7 million train boxcars—enough to circle the Earth 12 1/2 times.(6)

Unfortunately, much of this waste ends up in our rivers and streams. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, factory farming pollutes U.S. waterways more than all industrial sources combined.(7) The effects are often deadly. For example, runoff from animal waste is linked to a 7,000-square mile "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico that can no longer support aquatic life.(8) And scientists suspect that runoff of manure from chicken and hog farms is one of the leading causes of the devastating pfiesteria outbreaks that have killed billions of fish from Delaware to Alabama. The pfiesteria microorganism causes its human victims to suffer from memory loss, skin lesions, and incapacitating fatigue.(9)

Raising animals for food is also taking its toll on the world's forests. Since 1960, more than one-quarter of the rain forests in Central America have been destroyed to create cattle pastures. Of the Amazonian rain forest cleared in South America, more than 38 percent has been used for ranching.(10) Rain forests are vital to the survival of the planet because they are the Earth's primary source of oxygen. And scientists are increasingly exploring the use of rain-forest plants in medications to treat and cure human diseases.

Cattle grazing is endangering plant species in the United States, too. The Government Accounting Office says that livestock grazing has threatened or eliminated more plant species than any other single factor.(11) And as much as 85 percent of rangeland in the Western part of the United States is being destroyed by overgrazing.(12)

Humanitarian Concerns

Every day, 840 million people around the world, including 200 million children, go hungry.(13) But much of the world's grain harvest—40 percent—is used to feed livestock, not people.(14) U.S. livestock alone consume about one-third of the world's total grain harvest, as well as more than 70 percent of the grain grown in the United States.(15)

Raising animals for food is much less efficient than growing vegetables, grain, or beans. For example, a cow grazing on one acre of land produces enough meat to sustain a person two and a half months; soybeans grown on that same acre would nourish a person for seven years.(16) The beef in just one Big Mac represents enough wheat to make five loaves of bread.(17)

Many researchers believe that vegetarianism is the only way to feed a growing human population. A Population Reference Bureau report stated, "If everyone adopted a vegetarian diet and no food were wasted, current [food] production would theoretically feed 10 billion people, more than the projected population for the year 2050."(18)

A Healthy and Humane Diet

A vegetarian diet is the healthiest and most humane choice for animals, people, and the planet. For free vegetarian recipes and easy tips on making the switch to a plant-based diet, please contact PETA.

References

1. Vegetarian Journal, 16, No. 5 (1997), 21-22.
    2. Toni Apgar, "Advocacy Journalism," Vegetarian Times, Oct. 1995, p. 108.
    3. Ken Krizner, "Congressman Demands Enforcement of Humane Slaughter Legislation," Daily News, 14 Apr. 1998.
    4. G. Pascal Zachary, "Nursing Homes Are Often Hotbeds of Injury for Aides," Wall Street Journal, 20 Mar. 1995, p. B1.
    5. Debbie Howlett, "Lakes of Animal Waste Pose Environmental Risk," USA Today, 30 Dec. 1997, p. A7.
    6. John Lang, "Environmentalists Rap Factory Farms for Manure Production," Scripps Howard News Service, 9 Jun. 1998.
    7. Neal D. Barnard and Simon Chaitowitz, "Show You Care About the Earth, Go Vegetarian," Las Vegas Review-Journal, 23 Apr. 1998, p. B9.
    8. Howlett.
    9. Mary Hager and Larry Reibstein, "The 'Cell From Hell,'" Newsweek, 25 Aug. 1997, p. 63.
    10. Jeremy Rifkin, "Big, Bad Beef," The New York Times, 23 Mar. 1992.
    11. Barnard.
    12. Rifkin.
    13. Hearst News Service, "Diverse Diets, With Meat and Milk, Endanger World Food Supply," 8 Mar. 1997.
    14. Brian Halweil, "The Bioethics of Barbecue: Environmental Consequences of Eating Massive Amounts of Meat," MSNBC (Microsoft National Broadcasting Company), 30 Jun. 1998.
    15. Rifkin.
    16. "Bessie vs. the Bean," Natural Health, Mar./Apr. 1997.
    17. Halweil.
    18. Hearst News Service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information