slick1921 is offline Junior Member

What exactly is dextrose?

What is dextrose?

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    a sugar. what do you want to know in particular?

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Dextrose, also known as glucose, d-glucose, or blood sugar, occurs naturally in food, and is not very sweet. It is a monosaccharide (basic unit of carbohydrates, C6H1206) and has a high glycemic index (digested carbohydrates ability to raise blood glucose levels, also called Gl) ranking at 100.

What is Maltodextrin
    Maltodextrin is a flavorless, easily digested carbohydrate made from cornstarch. The starch is cooked, and then acid and/or enzymes (a process similar to that used by the body to digest carbohydrates) are used to break the starch into smaller chains (3-20 chains in maltodextrin). These chains are composed of several dextrose molecules held together by very weak hydrogen bonds.

Lets do a quick review on the terms we just discussed; carbohydrates are molecules of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen produced by plants through photosynthesis. The term saccharide is a synonym for carbohydrate; a monosaccharide (mono=1) is the fundamental unit of carbohydrates. Disaccharides (Di=2) are molecules containing 2 monosaccharide units. Di and monosaccharides are also known as sugars, simple sugars, or simple carbohydrates. Next are oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides. Oligosaccharides are made of 3-9 monosaccharide links. Polysaccharides consist of 10 to thousands of monosaccharide links. A complex carbohydrate refers to many monosaccharide units linked together. In addition, you will often hear the terms “long”, and “short” carbohydrate chains. Short carbohydrate chains are those under 10 sugar molecules. And long chains are those over 10 sugar molecules. Which fits in conjunction with the above terms, Oligosaccharides and Polysaccharides. Now, lets apply this to dextrose, and maltodextrin.

As I am sure you have heard, dextrose is labeled a simple carbohydrate and Maltodextrin complex. And now this should make perfect sense. But don’t be fooled by the word, “complex.” The bonds that compose maltodextrin are very weak, and readily broken apart in your stomach, and the chain is still extremely minimal in composition. Because of these bonds, and composition, digestion and Gl of maltodextrin is a fraction slower than dextrose. Now, before we move on, I want to establish why this is so, and what exactly hydrogen bonds are.

supdude24 is offline Junior Member
    Where can i buy dextrose?

hybrid is offline Member
    Dextrose is a simple sugar derived from corn (at least that's what mine is made from).
    Here is where I buy it from. Pretty cheap. Do a search for "now dextrose" and you'll find it (now foods is the brand name of it). Also, if you want maltodextrin, do a search for "now carbo". Now's carbo powder is maltodextrin.

http://www.discountnaturalvitamins.com/

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    i get mine at www.supplementdirect.com.

the product is only $ 11 for 10 pounds but they get you on shipping

hybrid is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetPsycho
    i get mine at www.supplementdirect.com.

the product is only $ 11 for 10 pounds but they get you on shipping
    Speaking of that. The last time I ordered a bunch of dextrose and maltodextrin because the company that I use had a free shipping offer. I ordered 25 pounds of each, figuring this would be the time to get it cheap. When I get the bill, it has a shipping charge on it. I call about this and they tell me to read the fine print. Free shipping only up to a certain size and weight. Oh well, still worked out to be a good deal.

Thread Information