bulknup is offline New Member

bulking diet - any comments?

Hey guys - working on bulking up from 175 to about 200 this fall/winter. Looking pretty cut right now (and need to post some before pics). Just starting the bulk phase now . . . here's my diet. Any suggestions?

7:00am
    Soy Protein Shake (18p

8:30am
    Cream of Wheat
    4 Eggs (7f 13c 24p
    Apple (.5f 22c 0p)

11:00am
    Turkey/Ham (2f 10c 21p)
    Two Pieces of Whole Wheat Bread (1f 22c 3p)
    Banana (0f 25c 1p)

2:00
    Turkey/Ham (2f 10c 21p)
    Banana (0f 25c 1p)

5:00
    Turkey/Ham (2f 10c 21p)
    Banana (0f 25c 1p)

Workout

8:00
    Dinner is sometimes chicken, pasta, red meat, ect. it varies.

Bummed out because total is still only around 2400 cal. Any tips on what I can do to bulk on my diet and where? I need to really start chowing down.

bobbo23 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulknup
    Hey guys - working on bulking up from 175 to about 200 this fall/winter. Looking pretty cut right now (and need to post some before pics). Just starting the bulk phase now . . . here's my diet. Any suggestions?

Soy Protein Shake (18p

Cream of Wheat
    4 Eggs (7f 13c 24p
    Apple (.5f 22c 0p)

Turkey/Ham (2f 10c 21p)
    Banana (0f 25c 1p)

Turkey/Ham (2f 10c 21p)
    Banana (0f 25c 1p)

Turkey/Ham (2f 10c 21p)
    Banana (0f 25c 1p)

Workout

Bummed out because total is still only around 2400 cal. Any tips on what I can do to bulk on my diet and where? I need to really start chowing down.
    Ok.For starters you have a good bit of fruit. I personally don't like to go overboard when bulking and I try to gain weight slowly, but thats just me. Protein and carbs are too low so lets start there.Tuna and chicken are my choices but red meat is fine for some meals too.Drop the soy shake and replace it with some real food. I would sub some tuna or chicken in place of the turkey/ham or have a larger portion for more protein.All my carbs usually come from oatmeal and whole wheat bagels. Bagels usually when I am at work or school and oatmeal when I can eat at home. And you need a post workout shake if you dont have one already. Dextrose from www.supplementdirect.com and some protein powder right after workout. Then eat your dinner an hour later. Hope this helps.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Soy Protein Shake (18p

Cream of Wheat
    10 Eggs whites 1 yolk
    Apple with natty peanutbutter

Ditch the lunch meat, nothing but fillers. Get some chicken or even some lean red meat or fish
    1 cup of rice
    green leafy veggies

Same here as 11am meal

2 cans of tuna
    1 banana

Workout

Need PWO shake with about 40-60g of protein and 70-80g of carbs (dextrose) and drink it immedialty after workout and an hour after that eat a high protein high carb 0 fat meal. Than about another hour to 90 minutes after that eat your dinner depending on what time it is. I'd just scrap this whole thing and re-write a better diet but I'm short on time.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    1st: Soy protien? You know it's only 40% bioavailable and is estrogenic. Do a double scoop of whey (about 40gms protien).

2nd: Ditch the lunchmeat as Big T says.

3nd: You need to add good fats to your diet. Nuts, flax, fish.

4th: Drink a post workout shake. 2 scoops whey, and ~200-300 calories from simple carbs. Gatorade powder or dextrose are popular choices.

My secret to adding more quality calories to a bulking diet is yogurt. Low GI, lots of good, slow digesting protein, easy to get down. If you're concerned with sugar, get the lite variety. Realize that the fats and protein in yogurt slow down the absorption. So even regular flavored yogurt has a GI of 50.

The regular variety has 220-250 calories per serving. The lite is around 150-190. Down two of those and a double scoop protein shake before bed, and you've just added an easy 750 calories.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Yams yams yams....gotta add some yams

bulknup is offline New Member
    Thanks for the comments. Regarding the Whey protein, i should have mentioned a lactose intolerant problem that I've got. Can handle the yogurt though, if i get organic.

Will make changes. Thanks again for the feedback.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    I am also slightly lactose intolerant, cheese&yogurt ok, but no milk. Thankfully, whey isolate/concentrate has very little or no lactose at all.

Thread Information