rissinite is offline Associate Member

Carb-Up on the weekends question...

What's up fellas? I've been consuming less than 10-15 carbs for 10days now, and am 2 days away from my first weekend of carbing-up. I wanted to maintain ketosis for 1 week, that is why I gave myself a few days to get there, and am staying in it until Fri. night. My question is, is there a limit on the number or type of carbs that i should be consuming? Is bread or pasta OK? I'm not planning on going crazy, but it will be nice to finally get some carbs in my system. I'm going to carb up Fri. night til Sunday pre workout. I would just like to know what I should stay away from, if anything, while carbing up. I've kept my fat consumption fairly low, while still consuming about 230g Pro. per day, the number of pounds that I weigh. Thanks for the help guys!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    What's your plan, are you going to try and go back into a ketosis state after your carb up? How long do you plan on running the diet? How much weight do you want to drop? I've been doing this type of diet for a while so I'd be happy to offer my .02.

Jugg

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I like to carb up with low gi carbs specifically oats and yams. Since I'm more carb sensitive during a cutting phase anything that spikes my insulin too much usually results in a spillover. Its different for everyone though-you have to tinker with your carb up day in order to figure out what works best. Just be careful you don't go overboard with your carb up day or you'll just spin wheels the entire time.

~US~

I'm planning on getting back into ketosis right after I carb up, and then carbing up Fri night thru Sun. pre-workout. I will probably run this diet until the middle to end of September. I'm currently 6'5", 245lbs., and 13.8%BF. I'd like to get my BF down to under 10%. Just under though. WHat's your advice? and how long can I run this with effectiveness, without losing too much muscle mass. This is my cutting phase after a 10 week Sust cycle of 500mgs/ wk. Thanks

Trying to keep from losing muscle is somewhat of a hard one to call. To keep as much as possible most guys who are on this type of diet will consume their carbs during the post workout meal, something I'm toying with myself. As for the carb up question; I'll have to say what Usualsuspect stated is good. I generally will go real low carb (trying to stay under 20 grams per day) for at least 14 days then after the 14th day I'll carb up but I'll not go over board when I do. After my cheat day I'll go right back to my original diet plan. You could bump your carb intake up to around 60-90 grams per day and still burn fat albeit just a little slower. Judging from what you stated as your goal I'd say finish your first go round, carb up and then bump your carbs up to at least 60 grams per day. Based on your timeline you should still reach your goal but it is something you’ll have to monitor to find out how well it works for you. If you find yourself not losing any weight or if the loss is really slow then you might want to cut back a little more on the carbs. Stay away from potatoes and definitely any processed flour products, go with Basmati white rice or brown rice and sweet potatoes. Oatmeal is another real good carb source. Once you bump up your carb intake try and eat as much of your carbs earlier in the day and make the afternoon meals low carb, the thought process here is that you'll burn those carbs off during the day and your body won't store them. Fats are pretty important part of the diet so make sure you're getting enough of those as well. Am I making any since here?

As for myself I’ll have a cheat meal once every two weeks but I only do it to shock the system and keep the weight loss going at a steady pace, your body will get used to the fact you’ve reduced the carbs so when it stales it helps to kick start it again. When I cheat I’ll eat something I really want and I really don’t care what macros are in it however I set a time limit and I limit myself to no more than one meal for each day on the weekend

great advice man, thanks....what kind of cardio do you do? I do 5-6 times per week...usually stairmaster....one day w/ my heart rate at 160 for 35 minutes, the next day w/ my heart rate at 135 for 45 minutes. Just curious to see what your thinking is about cardio on this particular diet

I might no be a good example of whom to base a cardio regiment on because I'm trying to shed as much weight as possible right now. I'm recovering from a surgery and gained about fifteen pounds while flat on my back (who wants to diet when you're in pain) and I just recently got the go ahead to do cardio so I'm on it like a pitt bull. Ha

Right now I do 45 minutes on an elliptical runner with a good amount of resistance (using the resistance to get my legs ready for when I can hit the weights again). I don't eat anything after 7:30 pm the night before and I don't eat until after my cardio session. But I also do another session for 30-45 minutes after work as well. I do cardio (for now) 5 days a week. Once I get my weight down I'll do only one session and I'll do it four days a week. As for the heart monitoring, sorry to say I don't really pay to much attention to it. I go by the rate of breath exchange. While running if I can carry a conversation without much trouble then I'll kick it into high gear but for the most part I generally stay right at a point where if some one asks me something I can complete one or two sentences before having to stop talking and catch my breath. This morning I checked my heart rate just to see where it was at and it was right around 155-160 bpm so I figure I'm doing well. If you’re trying to preserve as much muscle as you can don't push to hard, just get your heart rate up and try to keep it there while keeping the pace moderate, if possible. Most BB’s do a fast pace walk on a tread mill at an incline. Hope this helps and I hope some other bro’s pop on here for you to give their input.

bumpity bump

Thread Information