BigPete is offline Associate Member

before and after training?

What is good to eat before and after training? And should you mix protein powder with water or milk? Which is best? Thanks!

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    well i eat all the time, so i get a meal in b4 and after the gym. But if u cannot eat that much then eat after u work out. It is referred to a 'the golden hour' (some one else mentioned that a while ago, hope u don't mind me using u'r quote) This is an hour window after u work out when u'r body seeks out as many nutrients as possible. For people no longer on AS this golden hour helps to obtain a positive nitrogen balance. (This is already achieved if takeing AS) Which in turn results in bigger better faster! so EAT!

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    oh yeah, milk adds protein to the shake, throw in an egg and some peanut butter two. Did u know that (well at least with the peanut butter i have) there is 8 to 10 grams of protein for every two teaspoons! tis good shit.

BigWill is offline Junior Member
    You need carbs to fuel your workout so eat 1/2-1 hr before lifting. You should also eat a high carb/protein meal as soon as possible after lifting. There is a 2 hour window where your body absorbs nutrients better than anyother time, so get in your shakes and vitamens, etc in that time. As for mixing protein powder with milk, the milk hinders the absorbtion of whey, so mix it with water or juice.

Kullman is offline Member
    This should not be posted on this part of the board, but I'll add some input anyways. A lot of people neglect post-workout meals, I feel it is one of the most important. What you eat all depends on your goals, bulking cutting, whatever you are doing. I always take a fast acting protein such as whey, stay away from casein post-workout. Take in simple carbs as well becuase they will not store as fat but, since you burned muscle glycogen they will fill these stores rather than convert to fat stores. I have started to eat honey post cycle as well, it causes an insulin spike that sends amino's to the muscle. I can dig out a study on exactly why honey is good post cycle if anyone is interested, I am too tired to think anymore.

Kull

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Actually kullman I have heard the same thing about honey. I am pretty much in favor of all of you here, (imagine that)! I think you shouldn't be scared to eat, just watch what you eat. I usually eat before and after a workout, even late at night, (but low low carbs). I work out at night so my body get's hungry after I work out. Listen to your body, if it is hungry it is wanting something. Just like they say if you are thirsty, your body needs hydrating. If you are hungry, then your body needs those nutrients. Don't be scart, eat!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I have a simple, and inexpensive, post workout drink that works great for me. I pre-mix (dry) two scoops of whey protein and 1 scoop of dextrose (you can buy it at any store that sells beer making kits) in a tupperware container. As soon as I'm done my workout I throw in some water, shake it up and drink it on the way home in the car. It helps replace my lost glycogen stores as well as giving me a little insulin spike. Then I have a little something in my stomach so I can pre-pare my solid food meal without being too famished.

Great Idea Pete, I may just do something like that myself..

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    and how does it taste Pete?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I take my Glutamine straight after the workout and leave it at least half an hour then make a protein shake with skimmed milk

Billy

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I take 75g of carbs, in the last half hour of my workout and mix 10g Glutamine with the last couple of mouth fulls, then I go home and east and then an hour later have a protein shake just too make sure, then I take some more L-Glutamine before bed.

I think post-training nutrition is probably the most important aspect of recovery.

B4 training I have a chicken bagel and some D-Bol LOL!

BA

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Excess...it doesn't taste all that bad...kinda sweet... but not bad.

bigtraps is offline Member
    If i get done lifting at night, go home to eat at say, 8 or 9pm and try to sleep at 10:30 or so... Can i eat a potato w/ my chicken breast.. and not store fat? this is a complex carb right.. I am talking about a bulking cycle..

well Big, I try to limit all carbs if not cutting them out totally by 12:00pm. I may eat like 12 or 20 grams of Carbs, usually after I work out, but I do limit and on days that I don't work out, no carbs after 5pm. That is what I do, and it works great for me. Of course, complex or simple carbs, they still turn into fat if you body does not burn them off. Course, the better shape you are in, the better your body will burn carbs. Eating a potato every now and then after workouts, sure why not, just don't make it a habit, or you will find yourself with more fat than you want. Course this is just my opinion and I am expressing what works best for me. Believe me I have always had problems loosing fat cause I love pasta, but in the last 2 months, I have limited my pasta to early lunches, if any, and I have lost alot of fat, and noticed a huge increase in my muscle gains. Hope this helps man!

Thread Information