Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator

Fats and how the body uses them

Sorry guys a longish post could,nt sleep and got bored so I typed this up.Damn insomnia

UNDERSTANDING FATS

Fats are made up of fatty acids and there are 2 main types -saturated and unsaturated. Fats rich in saturated tend to be solid at room temperature and unsaturated fatty acids such as vegetable oils tend to be in a liquid form.

Saturated Fats are the BAD fats these cause higher levels of Cholesterol and can induce heart disease. These fats are classed as Industrial oils which have been hardened so they solidify at room temp.These fats start as unsaturated fats and go through a hydrogenated process to make them hard and then become saturated. Partially hydrogenated fats change from being unsaturated fats into trans fatty acids. These have the same effects as saturated fats

Unsaturated fats can be separated into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids are not really required in a diet as the body can make its own from carbs and protein. However the body cannot make certain polyunsaturated (this is also known as the EFA Essential Fatty acids) and the body requires food which is rich in them

Polyunsaturates come in two different types: the omega-6 section which are derived from Linoleic acid and is found in veg and sunflower oils and the omega-3 derived from linolenic acid and is found in oils like Soya bean and rapeseed oil and fish like mackerel and herring

Omega-6 acids are required in the make up of all cells in the body and help to produce hormone like substances called Eicosanoids which help to control functions like inflammation and blood flow. Defiency in grown adults is rare but can lead to skin probs poor growth and an impaired immune system..The avg. person requires approx. 4g a day which is equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sunflower oil for Athletes it is recommended around 10g.An upper daily limit of 25g is suggested as high intakes could be harmful because they increase the production of free radicals

Omega-3 fatty acids are needed in smaller amounts approx. 1-2g a day and for Athletes 2-4g which can be obtained from 2-3 teaspoons of rapeseed oil. These acids are required as structural components of the brain and the retina of the eye.They help reduce inflammation and the tendency of blood to clot.(Higher doses have been found to help in the treatment of heart disease.

All unsaturated fats are a main source of dietary vitamin E also fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K are taken by the body from these fats but these vitamins are already required by the body to absorb the new “top up” vitamins from the new fat. It is recommend that athletes take in no less than 35g a day of fat

The Science behind fats (The Interesting bit!)

Fatty acids are made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen in varying proportions. A fat is saturated when its molecule structure has reached its volumetric capabilities holding the maximum amount of hydrogen, monounsaturates have at least 50% less whilst Polyunsaturates have up to 90% less. The hydrogenation process that changes the molecule structure and makes the acid thixatropic creates Trans fatty acids

Just in case anyone asks what a Free Radical is!!

These are known as unstable atoms or molecules and are produced by the body as part of its normal metabolism and part of its natural defence against disease. They contain at least one unpaired electron, which makes them highly reactive. As they are produced they search for other molecules with a positive charge. When they do react this is known as oxidation.(Recent research is showing that when this happens it can damage DNA and cell membranes and can open the way for cancers to develop.A study performed in 1998 indicated that a large percentage of patients who had developed cancer had a higher than average amount of free radicals within their body)

The body can over re-act and when it does it increases the production and releases more than it needs. This is can be caused by all types of things like illness even intense exercise and smoking. The body has a natural defence against free radicals and these are antioxidant enzymes in the blood, which makes the free radicals useless. Eating the right fats that contain A, D, E and supplementing Vitamin C greatly improves the antioxidation properties of the body.

So to summarise this up you need both Omega 6 and 3 oils in your diet especially in BB to maintain the soluble vitamins also supplementing vitamin C in your diet as an antioxidant.

This is only what I have learnt so ............

Billy

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    Billy great post thats what I lack in the knowledge of dieting thanks for the help

Mike Guest
    Good post Billy

(Thanks for taking the time to make all the posts that you have been making on this stuff)

Mike I enjoy doing it bro - just hope it helps a little bit

Billy

Improving is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice one Billy!

Just wish my bouts of insomnia lent themselves to that kind of productivity LOL.

Improving

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Nice post Billy. When I can't sleep I usually just..nahh I'm not sayin'!!! LOL

Yeah alright so would I if I was,nt single!!

So I put my insomnia to a use that may help you bro,s out

Billy

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    dammit Billy. I am jealous man.. dammit, can you spare a couple of brain cells for a dumbazz like myself? Just kiddin.. you still the man man..

NightOp is offline Member
    Oldie but goodie Bump.

While I'm at it, I got a question about peanuts/peanut butter. I eat ALOT of peanuts and peanut butter but from what I understand the storebought butter (Peter Pan, Jif, etc..) contain the partially hydrogenated (sp) oils which would make them a bad idea. Do plan old peanuts (planters,etc..) have the same problem?

I'm basically just looking for a cheap/easy source of safe fats... Sardines are great from what I understand... I'm not looking for flax seed answers
    Last edited by NightOp; 05-05-2002 at 01:46 PM.

Improving is offline Anabolic Member
    (Preface) Sorry to preface this, but just wanted to add that this is my first post on here in a LONG time - long story - but to those who may remember me, its good to be back and hope every one is doing well.

For your answer Night Op; yes it's true that most of the common store bought (Jiff, Peter Pan, etc.) do contain the evil trans fats that are sooo bad for you. Look for the terms "partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils" in the ingredients list. Thats the bad stuff. But, peanuts themselves do not contain these evil fats. Trans fats are not naturally occurring (someone correct me if Im wrong here - seems like I may have heard that cocconut oils contain some form of trans fat??). Hydrogenation is a process manufacturers use to liquify more solid fats creating tons of free radicals, etc. Natural PB is usually just that - just crushed peanuts, but most that you get in grocery stores do still add salt (ie - Smuckers Natural - which is all that the local groceries in my area cary).

My advice is to purchase your natty PB from a natural food store. Most good stores have a machine that is full of peanuts that you just flip the switch and it grinds them up for you. 100% natural peanut butter with absolutely nothing added. Just make sure you refrigerate it.

Hope that helps,
    Improving

NightOp is offline Member
    Thanks bro answered all my q's.

Cubber is offline Junior Member
    Great article.. thanks BillyBoy

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    bump

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Good read!

Yung Wun is offline Member
    bump